Connect with us

Australia

Aussies whose two-year-old son died in Beirut blast break silence and describe fight for his life

Published

on

aussies whose two year old son died in beirut blast break silence and describe fight for his life

An Australian family have spoken about their harrowing fight to save their son’s life after he was killed in the Beirut blast.

Isaac Oehlers was badly injured after being hit by shards of glass while sitting in his highchair when the blast rocked Lebanon’s capital on August 4.

Speaking about their ordeal his parents Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers told of their struggle to save his life before the two-year-old passed away in hospital.

Issac was the only Australian to die in the horrific explosion caused by the detonation of a stockpile of ammonium nitrate. 

The family’s unit was only around 700 metres from the blast site and the toddler was hurt while sitting in his highchair. 

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers have spoken for the first time about their fight to save son Isaac (pictured) after the Beirut explosion

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers have spoken for the first time about their fight to save son Isaac (pictured) after the Beirut explosion

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers have spoken for the first time about their fight to save son Isaac (pictured) after the Beirut explosion

Ms Copland was knocked to the ground by the deadly surge after all the windows of their fourth floor apartment were blown out, while Mr Oehlers was in the bathroom and rushed out to a horrific scene.

‘There were bits of live wires dangling from the ceiling. It was total devastation and, of course, the first thing I thought of was, “Oh my God! Where’s Isaac? Where’s Sarah?” And I ran as fast as I could from the bathroom to the living room,’ he told ABC’s Four Corners.

The young family retreated to the bathroom where they saw the extent of Isaac’s injuries including a huge wound in his chest from a big piece of glass.

They fled to the street to make their way to a hospital for treatment where they discovered the devastation caused by the blast.

The explosion killed at least 200 people, injured thousands and reduced once bustling cosmopolitan streets to ruble.

Ms Copland was forced to stand in the middle of the frantic street to stop a local man, who took the family to Rafic Hariri hospital.

She recalled the man driving at full speed down the wrong side of the road in order to dodge traffic and get the family to medical help.

The two-year-old is the only Australian victim of the horrific Beirut blast (pictured) on August 4

The two-year-old is the only Australian victim of the horrific Beirut blast (pictured) on August 4

The two-year-old is the only Australian victim of the horrific Beirut blast (pictured) on August 4

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers (pictured together) had been trying to leave Beirut for months before the blast, but were unable to due to the coronavirus pandemic

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers (pictured together) had been trying to leave Beirut for months before the blast, but were unable to due to the coronavirus pandemic

Sarah Copland and Craig Oehlers (pictured together) had been trying to leave Beirut for months before the blast, but were unable to due to the coronavirus pandemic

On arrival at the hospital Ms Copland was taken for treatment on large glass shards in her head, leaving Mr Oehlers to head to the operating theatre with Isaac.

He said it was a devastating experience that will stay with him for the rest of his life. 

‘I’ll tell you what. No parent should ever have to be in the same room as his child, who’s on an operating table, and see the heart monitor flat line and hear all the alarms go off,’ Mr Oehlers said.

The family had been trying to leave Beirut for months but had been trapped in the city amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

They had managed to book a flight home to Perth in late August, but sadly the whole family would not make the journey.

‘They shut the airports. We couldn’t leave to get home. So, we had made several attempts to get back this year and we were so close and just three weeks difference and our whole lives would be … just be the way they were supposed to be,’ Ms Copland said.

The couple have since returned home, where Ms Copland is due to give birth to a baby boy within weeks.

The explosion in the port killed at least 200 people, injured thousands and reduced once bustling cosmopolitan streets to ruble

The explosion in the port killed at least 200 people, injured thousands and reduced once bustling cosmopolitan streets to ruble

The explosion in the port killed at least 200 people, injured thousands and reduced once bustling cosmopolitan streets to ruble

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Australia

Tragic twist in search for missing driver in Queensland

Published

on

By

tragic twist in search for missing driver in queensland
Jayden Alexander

Jayden Alexander

Jayden Alexander

A man’s body has been found in an area where a driver involved in a serious traffic crash on Queensland’s Bruce Highway disappeared.

Missing man Jayden Alexander wasn’t at that the crash scene when police arrived at the two-vehicle accident site near Traveston about 10pm on Thursday.

The 28-year-old also failed to return home to Gympie, causing police to become concerned for his welfare, police said on Tuesday.

They started searching with State Emergency Service volunteers at Cobbs Gully, near the Bruce Highway at Kybong and Traveston.

A body was found on Tuesday.

It is yet to be formally identified and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Victorian quarantine dodger is fined $5,000 in the Northern Territory

Published

on

By

victorian quarantine dodger is fined 5000 in the northern territory

A Victorian man has been slapped with a $5,000 fine for flouting the Northern Territory’s quarantine rules.

The 30-year-old was permitted to enter the NT to perform essential work on the proviso he isolated for 14-days after arrival.

But the man was not at his Darwin quarantine accommodation when compliance officers dropped by on Monday.

A Victorian man has been slapped with a $5,000 fine for flouting the Northern Territory's quarantine rules (file picture)

A Victorian man has been slapped with a $5,000 fine for flouting the Northern Territory's quarantine rules (file picture)

A Victorian man has been slapped with a $5,000 fine for flouting the Northern Territory’s quarantine rules (file picture)

‘He was contacted by police and was told to immediately return,’ a spokesman said Tuesday.

The man was later tested for COVID-19 and returned a negative result.

Officers issued him with a $5,056 fine for breaching his quarantine requirements.

Meanwhile, an 18-year-old man has been fined for failing to wear a mask in the Howard Springs quarantine facility after being repeatedly warned for not doing so.

The infringement penalty for failing to abide by the NT Chief Health Officer’s directions is $25,280 for a business and $5,056 for an individual.

NT Police and Environmental Health Officers have conducted 32,955 compliance checks and 152 fines have been issued for breaching COVID-19 health directions.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Hundreds of Centrelink workers will be forced to join the welfare queue after being SACKED

Published

on

By

hundreds of centrelink workers will be forced to join the welfare queue after being sacked

Hundreds of workers have been fired without redundancy payouts only two months before Christmas

The 420 employees working as Centrelink call centre operators at Dandenong and Mill Park in suburban Melbourne were told on Tuesday their jobs no longer exist.

They won’t be given payouts because they were employed as casuals.  

Centrlink Call centre operators will be forced to join the queue for welfare payments from October 30  (Pictured: queues form outside the Centrelink office in Melbourne in March)

Centrlink Call centre operators will be forced to join the queue for welfare payments from October 30  (Pictured: queues form outside the Centrelink office in Melbourne in March)

Centrlink Call centre operators will be forced to join the queue for welfare payments from October 30  (Pictured: queues form outside the Centrelink office in Melbourne in March)

They will be forced to join the queue for welfare payments from October 30, in a move described as a ‘disgrace’ by the federal opposition. 

Workers were contracted to the Service Australia welfare department by the $2billion British Public Service group Serco. 

The company told workers on Tuesday they had lost the contract for after-hours processing with Services Australia, according to the Age.    

The 420 employees working as Centrelink call centre operators Dandenong and Mill Park in suburban Melbourne were told on Tuesday their jobs no longer exist (Pictured: stock image of call centre workers)

The 420 employees working as Centrelink call centre operators Dandenong and Mill Park in suburban Melbourne were told on Tuesday their jobs no longer exist (Pictured: stock image of call centre workers)

The 420 employees working as Centrelink call centre operators Dandenong and Mill Park in suburban Melbourne were told on Tuesday their jobs no longer exist (Pictured: stock image of call centre workers)

Worker Sinead McKinlay, 34, said even though it’s legal, it doesn’t seem fair to the workers. 

She said workers began to ‘feel sick’ as soon as they were told they were going to meet with managers. 

‘With our history with Serco, there is no trust. At a whim they shut us down, don’t pay us, cut us off. People knew something was coming,’ she said. 

‘There’s a lot of younger and older workers and workers with English as a second language. They will struggle in the job market and face financial hardship … I’m concerned for their mental health, for potential self-harm and family violence.’

Serco said it is hoping to explore the possibility of finding work for the displaced employees elsewhere. 

The Australian Services Union described the decision as ‘heartless’.

The union’s Victorian Branch secretary Matt Norrey, said workers are bearing the brunt of the company’s deteriorating business circumstances.  

Meanwhile Labor’s government services spokesman, Bill Shorten is demanding an explanation. 

‘The Morrison government preach a lot about Team Australia but are quite happy to give other Australians the boot,’ eh said. 

Services Australia General Manager Hank Jongen told Daily Mail Australia in a statement they are not responsible for overseeing staffing.

‘It’s important to note our service delivery partners are, and have always been, responsible for managing their own staffing levels in order to meet the contracted work and other requirements,’ the spokesperson said. 

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Serco for comment.

Employees working for Serco were also asked to take leave without pay in July during an outbreak at a call centre in Mill Park.

About 450 staff were urged to apply for the Victorian government’s $1500 hardship payment when they were temporarily stood down. 

Australia’s unemployment rate was sitting at 6.9 per cent in September according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics’s latest figures. 

In Victoria around 223,000 residents were out of work last month, around 6.7 per cent of the population.  

In Victoria around 223,000 residents were out of work last month, around 6.7 per cent of the population (pictured: a couple takes a walk along St Kilda's foreshore in Victoria)

In Victoria around 223,000 residents were out of work last month, around 6.7 per cent of the population (pictured: a couple takes a walk along St Kilda's foreshore in Victoria)

In Victoria around 223,000 residents were out of work last month, around 6.7 per cent of the population (pictured: a couple takes a walk along St Kilda’s foreshore in Victoria)

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.