Connect with us

Australia

Australian man spots large cat while hiking on Perseverance trail near Christchurch

Published

on

australian man spots large cat while hiking on perseverance trail near christchurch

A mountain biker has seen an elusive large black cat behind a fallen tree – while people have reported similar incidents in the area since the 1970s.

Mark Orr, 25, was lifting his bike over a tree on the Perseverance trail in Hanmer Springs, on New Zealand‘s South Island, on Sunday.

The osteopath claims that is when he saw the big cat stood 50m away from him. 

‘[It was] 100 per cent not a dog, no doubt about that,’ Mr Orr told Stuff.

Mark Orr, 25, was lifting his bike over a tree on the Perseverance trail in Hanmer Springs, on New Zealand's South Island, on Sunday when he saw a large cat

Mark Orr, 25, was lifting his bike over a tree on the Perseverance trail in Hanmer Springs, on New Zealand's South Island, on Sunday when he saw a large cat

Mark Orr, 25, was lifting his bike over a tree on the Perseverance trail in Hanmer Springs, on New Zealand’s South Island, on Sunday when he saw a large cat

‘It was a cat and at knee height and much stockier than a regular cat.’  

Mr Orr called the sighting ‘a little strange’ and the cat walked along the 780m trail like it ‘owned it’. 

‘We only moved to New Zealand in January. We’re from Australia, so my first thought was, I didn’t know there was panthers in New Zealand. And I just thought it must have been a more common thing,’ Mr Orr told Radio NZ.

‘Then after we started Googling it, and realised it was a bit more rare than we first thought.

‘I messaged one of our mates who lives here and told him and he said, “You got to send that through to someone, because it’s pretty big what you found”.’

He said he tried to follow it but had no luck. 

The Australian's sighting in Hanmer Trails comes after two other big cats were spotted in the Canterbury region - with hunter Jesse Feary shooting one of them

The Australian's sighting in Hanmer Trails comes after two other big cats were spotted in the Canterbury region - with hunter Jesse Feary shooting one of them

The Australian’s sighting in Hanmer Trails comes after two other big cats were spotted in the Canterbury region – with hunter Jesse Feary shooting one of them

The Australian’s sighting comes after two other big cats were spotted in Canterbury – with hunter Jesse Feary shooting one of them.

He said the feral cat weighed 11 kilograms and was 1.05m when stretched out.

Mr Feary believes it was the child of a larger cat he saw days earlier, which he said is twice the size of the one he shot.

Resident Frances Clark reported seeing a tiger in 1977 and her claims were vindicated when a large paw print at a nearby beach.

Two decades large cat the size of a labrador was spotted at a biking trail in Twizel, and two years later, in 1998, a creature resembling a mountain lion was also seen. 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Australia

Jarryd Hayne set to take the stand after allegedly raping a woman and leaving an injury

Published

on

By

jarryd hayne set to take the stand after allegedly raping a woman and leaving an injury

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne is expected to begin giving evidence at his sexual assault trial after the prosecution concludes its case against him.

Crown prosecutor Brian Costello has told a Newcastle District Court jury Hayne recklessly injured a woman when committing two sex acts on her without her consent in September 2018.

Hayne, who had been celebrating rugby league player Wes Naiqama’s bucks’ weekend in Newcastle, had paid a taxi driver $550 to take him to Sydney before asking her to stop at the woman’s house.

Mr Costello says Hayne attacked the woman in her bedroom after she invited him to her house on the outskirts of Newcastle on September 30, 2018 – the night of the NRL grand final.

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne is expected to begin giving evidence at his sexual assault trial after the prosecution concludes its case against him. Pictured in 2018 at Ryde Police Station

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne is expected to begin giving evidence at his sexual assault trial after the prosecution concludes its case against him. Pictured in 2018 at Ryde Police Station

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne is expected to begin giving evidence at his sexual assault trial after the prosecution concludes its case against him. Pictured in 2018 at Ryde Police Station

They had never met, but had been in contact on social media after the woman sent the footballer an Instagram message saying he was gorgeous.

Mr Costello said Hayne arrived about 9pm and stayed for about 45 minutes, committed two sex acts on her and caused two separate injuries to her genitalia before leaving.

The woman, now aged 28, has told the jury Hayne tried to kiss her and she said no before he pushed her head into the pillow, pulled her pants off and attacked her, ignoring her pleas to stop.

The woman said Hayne only stopped when there was blood everywhere, including on his hands and face.

She told the jury she didn’t want to go to the police initially because she feared Hayne would have the money to ruin her.

The woman said she later went to see a doctor who examined the injury to her vagina and told her: ‘It looks like a bite.’

Crown prosecutor Brian Costello has told a Newcastle District Court jury Hayne recklessly injured a woman when committing two sex acts on her without her consent in September 2018. Pictured on Monday arriving at Newcastle Court

Crown prosecutor Brian Costello has told a Newcastle District Court jury Hayne recklessly injured a woman when committing two sex acts on her without her consent in September 2018. Pictured on Monday arriving at Newcastle Court

Crown prosecutor Brian Costello has told a Newcastle District Court jury Hayne recklessly injured a woman when committing two sex acts on her without her consent in September 2018. Pictured on Monday arriving at Newcastle Court

The woman’s sister told the court the alleged victim contacted her on FaceTime and said something had happened but wasn’t sure if she should tell her.

The woman then told her sister Hayne had hurt her after telling him she didn’t want to have sex with him in her bedroom in September 2018, the court heard.

‘She mentioned to me that she had gotten into the shower afterwards and watched the blood run out of her,’ the sister told the court. 

‘I asked if she had told him to stop and she said, ‘Yes.’

‘I told her that’s basically rape.’

The sister said in court that the woman didn’t think it was rape and didn’t want to go to the police because her understanding was rape involved a man using his penis.

The former NRL star (pictured) is facing Newcastle Court on sexual assault allegations

The former NRL star (pictured) is facing Newcastle Court on sexual assault allegations

The former NRL star (pictured) is facing Newcastle Court on sexual assault allegations

The woman’s mother earlier told the jury how her daughter showed her mobile phone photographs of blood in her bedroom and injuries to her genitalia which looked like ‘three nasty puncture wounds’.

‘She said he (Hayne) had wanted sex. He was persistent and overbearing. She had said she didn’t want to. She said ‘no’ a number of times,’ the mother said.

‘She said she thought he’d bitten her.’

The mother said in court that her daughter told her the previous night – the night of the alleged rape – ‘I think he wants sex’, but she said there’s no way.’

‘I said, ‘That’s right, no’ and I walked off.’

The mother told the court that she thought Hayne was intoxicated, loud and excitable.

Hayne made a brief code switch to try his hand at the American NFL (pictured) after a successful NRL career

Hayne made a brief code switch to try his hand at the American NFL (pictured) after a successful NRL career

Hayne made a brief code switch to try his hand at the American NFL (pictured) after a successful NRL career

The woman later sent text messages to a girlfriend saying she thought Hayne had bitten her vagina and she felt violated, the court heard.  

Hayne, 32, has pleaded not guilty to two charges of aggravated sexual assault inflicting actual bodily harm.

Defence barrister Phillip Boulten SC has said the sexual activity was consensual ‘but unfortunately it didn’t go well’.

Mr Boulten said it appeared Hayne had accidentally scratched the woman with his fingernail causing her to bleed, which shocked them both.

The trial continues on Friday with the prosecution case expected to finish and Hayne to give evidence in his defence.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

NSW Commuters to expect massive Sydney Train delays on Friday as services are cancelled

Published

on

By

nsw commuters to expect massive sydney train delays on friday as services are cancelled

Commuters in New South Wales are being warned there will be massive delays on Friday morning due to workers walking off the job overnight.

Services affected include the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Newcastle and South Coast lines with the travel alert issued about 3am.

Trains are expected to begin running again at 7am but only with limited services.

‘Due to industrial action earlier TrainLink services have been suspended,’ Transport for NSW wrote on Twitter.

Commuters in New South Wales are being warned there will be massive delays on Friday morning due to workers walking off the job overnight (stock image)

Commuters in New South Wales are being warned there will be massive delays on Friday morning due to workers walking off the job overnight (stock image)

Commuters in New South Wales are being warned there will be massive delays on Friday morning due to workers walking off the job overnight (stock image)

‘Train preperation is now commencing to resume services across the TrainLink network.’

Commuters are being told to allow ‘plenty of extra travel time’ or consider alternative travel arrangements.

While preparations are taking place to resume the services there are warnings that flow on delays may still impact services throughout the day. 

Commuters have been outraged by the delays with many claiming there was little-to-no warning it was going to occur.

‘The only people affected by this snap strike are the commuters this morning. And you’ve already stopped? Plan better crew,’ one man wrote on Twitter.

‘Are Sydney trains on strike? My girls just got booted off the Bomaderry train at Wollongong & were told it was leaving empty due to strike action,’ another user said. 

Train union members called for intercity trains to come to a halt on Friday in the hopes of bringing a stop to the new intercity trains over safety concerns.

The Rail, Tram and Bus Union has described the trains as ‘lethal weapons’.

The RTBU’s executive endorsed a safety ban on the readiness exercise of the new fleet on Thursday, instructing its members not to perform any work associated with the trains during the testing phase.

The RTBU is also urging commuters who might be travelling on Friday to make alternative travel arrangements.

The New Intercity Fleet will bring 55 new trains to operate on the Central Coast & Newcastle, Blue Mountains and South Coast lines, replacing older V-set trains.

A report by Klaus Clemens Engineers has found that the operating model of the New Intercity Fleet of trains has room to improve on safety, saying that it fails to meet the ‘so far as is reasonably practical’ safety standard. The report was commissioned by the RTBU and made public last week.

RTBU NSW secretary Alex Claassens has called on Transport Minister Andrew Constance to call off the test in light of the safety concerns.

‘Let me be clear, the New Intercity Fleet trains are unsafe and our members will not be forced into driving and operating these lethal weapons,’ Mr Claassens said in a statement on Thursday.

Union members would not work on the trains during the testing phase, he said.

‘We’ve been warning the government of serious safety concerns on the New Intercity Fleet and now we regrettably have no option but to take action to protect the community and our members from these trains that are a safety disaster waiting to happen,’ Mr Claassens said.

The RTBU wrote to its members on Thursday evening directing them to stay away from the fleet.

Commuters will not be on board the trains used in this weekend’s test, Transport for NSW says.

Transport for NSW and NSW TrainLink are reviewing the Klaus Clemens Engineers report and all safety concerns will be taken seriously, a Transport for NSW spokesperson said.

‘Since arriving, the New Intercity Fleet has been undergoing a rigorous testing schedule and we have been using that time to ensure that all the systems, including safety, are performing as expected,’ the spokesperson said.

The report drew particular attention to a new system which would mean drivers need to look at CCTV to watch out for hazards on train platforms, instead of relying on guards to do it for them.

That could mean they are distracted when they should be looking at the track in front of them, the report says, and CCTV is not as good as the human eye.

It was concerning that these issues and other potential hazards had not previously been flagged, the report says.

Another train safety expert, Ray Metcalfe, has previously reviewed the train and its operating model and concluded that it is safer than current practice.

Transport for NSW is confident the train will be staffed this weekend. A recent expression of interest for driver training for the new fleet was oversubscribed, the spokesperson said. 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

One winner claims whopping $20million Powerball jackpot

Published

on

By

one winner claims whopping 20million powerball jackpot
36150964 0 image a 7 1606419645237

One very lucky Australian is waking up today after winning the entire $20million jackpot in Powerball Draw 1280.

The winner – who hasn’t been named – scored a life-changing result on Thursday night, with lottery officials still trying to determine where the winning ticket was purchased.

The winning numbers for the draw were 30, 20, 7, 3, 25, 21 and 31.

The Powerball was 2 for the whopping win.

Five division two winners have also walked away with 90,000.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.