Connect with us

Australia

Coorparoo fire: Troy Barry Fien charged with attempted murder over blaze

Published

on

coorparoo fire troy barry fien charged with attempted murder over blaze
A man has been charged over a house fire in Brisbane that saw a mother and father forced to rush into their unit to save their daughters Molly (top) and Isla (bottom) last week

A man has been charged over a house fire in Brisbane that saw a mother and father forced to rush into their unit to save their daughters Molly (top) and Isla (bottom) last week

A man has been charged over a house fire in Brisbane that saw a mother and father forced to rush into their unit to save their daughters Molly (top) and Isla (bottom) last week

A man has been charged with attempted murder after setting a family’s home on fire as they slept inside – despite police believing he has no links to them.

Anna and Dave MacDonald bravely fought through the flames to rescue their young daughters Molly and Isla from their unit at Coorparoo, in Brisbane’s south-east, about 3am on Thursday.

Mrs MacDonald has been left with severe burns and is likely to be in hospital for the next few months.

After initial inquiries suggested the fire was deliberately lit, police arrested Troy Barry Fien on Saturday and charged him with attempted murder. 

But despite the alleged deliberate nature of the blaze Queensland police believe that Fien had never met the MacDonalds, The Courier Mail reported.

Mrs MacDonald’s sister Dearne has created a GoFundMe page for the family and in an emotional Facebook told friends that the family have ‘lost everything’. 

Mrs MacDonald’s sister Dearne has created a GoFundMe page for the family and in an emotional Facebook told friends that the family have ‘lost everything’.’As some of you may have seen on the news there was a bad house fire at Coorparoo, it was our darling sister Anna and family,’ she posted.

‘They are all OK with some serious burns. They have lost everything.’

Mrs MacDonald suffered severe burns to her legs in the blaze, while her five-year-old daughter suffered burns to her arm and her three-year-old daughter was treated for smoke inhalation.

Mr MacDonald, 32, suffered minor injuries in the fire. 

The family-of four were able to escape out a kitchen window with assistance from a group of neighbours who rushed to help.

As part of the investigation into the fire, police will look into whether fire hydrants on the roadside had been covered by bitumen during recent road works – making them inaccessible to fire crews.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Service Inspector Rohan Wilschefsk said fire crews had to tunnel beneath the bitumen to access water.  

‘The pavement had gone over the top of the fire hydrants so when the crews arrived they were unable to find them or get access to them,’ he told the Courier Mail.  

 ‘It wasn’t until urban utilities came and told where the hydrants were located that we were able to dig them up and get access to those hydrants.

Anna MacDonald and her two daughters were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Thursday morning. Troy Barry Fien, 39, allegedly set the unit on fire and has been charged with attempted murder (Pictured: Emergency services at the scene)

Anna MacDonald and her two daughters were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Thursday morning. Troy Barry Fien, 39, allegedly set the unit on fire and has been charged with attempted murder (Pictured: Emergency services at the scene)

Anna MacDonald and her two daughters were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Thursday morning. Troy Barry Fien, 39, allegedly set the unit on fire and has been charged with attempted murder (Pictured: Emergency services at the scene) 

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless 

‘We were just lucky enough that everybody go out before we got here.’ 

Inspector Wilschefsck said crews had to stretch their hoses to other hydrants in neighbouring streets, causing delays.

Despite their best efforts the apartment was completely destroyed, while two other units within the block and an adjacent house were also damaged. 

The four families left homeless are being assisted to find accommodation.

Fien, 39, from Wynnum West is due to face court on Monday morning. 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Australia

Serial killer Reginald Arthurell who murdered three people is granted parole after 23 years in jail

Published

on

By

serial killer reginald arthurell who murdered three people is granted parole after 23 years in jail

NSW triple-killer Reginald Arthurell has been granted parole, with a senior legal expert saying it’s better than letting her out next year ‘cold turkey’.

The elderly prisoner will be paroled early next month, about six months before the expiry of her full 24-year term for the murder of Venet Mulhall.

‘There comes a time when it becomes dangerous to let someone out without supervision at all,’ NSW State Parole Authority chair David Frearson SC said on Thursday.

The 75-year-old, who came out as a transgender woman in custody, will be required to wear an ankle bracelet, participate in psychological programs and abstain from alcohol.

Triple-murderer Reginald Arthurell (pictured) has been granted parole after spending 23 years behind bars

Triple-murderer Reginald Arthurell (pictured) has been granted parole after spending 23 years behind bars

Triple-murderer Reginald Arthurell (pictured) has been granted parole after spending 23 years behind bars

That’s in addition to 11 standard parole conditions.

Ms Mulhall was bludgeoned to death with a piece of wood inside her Coonabarabran home in central NSW in 1995, having earlier helped Arthurell secure parole for another sentence.

Paul Quinn, who found his sister’s body, said the sentencing judge in 1997 should have set a life term without parole.

Arthurell had already been jailed for the manslaughter of his stepfather Thomas Thornton in Sydney in 1974 and naval officer Ross Browning in the Northern Territory in 1981.

‘There wouldn’t be a member of the (parole) board that would like this person living in their neighbourhood, let alone living as a neighbour,’ Mr Quinn told the parole hearing on Thursday.

Mr Quinn said he feared another person, ignorant about Arthurell’s crimes, would be killed.

‘That unknown person is again going to bear the consequences of having to deal with this person – and they are unprepared,’ he said.

Serial killer Reginald 'Tex' Arthurell (pictured with his former fiancee and victim Venet Mulhall) is set to be released from prison next month

Serial killer Reginald 'Tex' Arthurell (pictured with his former fiancee and victim Venet Mulhall) is set to be released from prison next month

Serial killer Reginald ‘Tex’ Arthurell (pictured with his former fiancee and victim Venet Mulhall) is set to be released from prison next month

Arthurell (pictured) was also jailed for the manslaughter of naval officer Ross Browning in the Northern Territory in November 1981 and his stepfather Thomas Thornton in Sydney in May 1974

Arthurell (pictured) was also jailed for the manslaughter of naval officer Ross Browning in the Northern Territory in November 1981 and his stepfather Thomas Thornton in Sydney in May 1974

Arthurell (pictured) was also jailed for the manslaughter of naval officer Ross Browning in the Northern Territory in November 1981 and his stepfather Thomas Thornton in Sydney in May 1974

Mr Frearson, a former crown prosecutor and District Court judge, said he understood Mr Quinn was frustrated with the original sentence, which expires on May 24, 2021, but said the parole board couldn’t interfere with it.

‘Is it not a question of ‘cold turkey’ or letting her out with a bit of structure?’ he asked Mr Quinn.

Strict supervision in the community presents as ‘the only sensible and viable option for community safety’, Mr Frearson said.

NSW Attorney-General Mark Speakman has previously said there were ‘unfortunately zero’ prospects of getting a continuing detention order for Arthurell, which would keep her in custody beyond the end of her sentence.

The state is, however, considering applying for an extended supervision order, which would enforce parole-like conditions after May 2021.

Both orders require approval of the NSW Supreme Court.

A progress report on Arthurell’s time on parole will be considered by the SPA on February 3.

Arthurell, 75, came out as a transgender woman in prison. He is pictured wearing the clothing of one of his victims Venet Mulhall

Arthurell, 75, came out as a transgender woman in prison. He is pictured wearing the clothing of one of his victims Venet Mulhall

Arthurell, 75, came out as a transgender woman in prison. He is pictured wearing the clothing of one of his victims Venet Mulhall

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

AFL Grand Final: Richmond Tigers’ Bachar Houli looks unrecognisable in sweet football photo as teen

Published

on

By

afl grand final richmond tigers bachar houli looks unrecognisable in sweet football photo as teen

A fresh faced photograph of a footy star has resurfaced just days before the AFL Grand Final. 

The star Richmond Tigers defender Bachar Houli looks unrecognisable in the throwback picture, which was taken during his days as an U15s footballer for his local club.

At the time, he’d only recently convinced his parents to let him play and was desperate to prove his worth.

Houli fell in love with AFL when he was just 11 years old, but knew his hardworking immigrant parents wouldn’t agree with him playing.

After escaping war torn Lebanon in the 1970s, they were desperate for their children to get a good education. 

Houli’s older brother, Nezor, went on to become a doctor, and has spent much of 2020 helping with the COVID-19 crisis in Victoria. 

The star Richmond Tigers defender looks unrecognisable in the throwback picture, which was taken during his days as an U15s footballer for his local club

The star Richmond Tigers defender looks unrecognisable in the throwback picture, which was taken during his days as an U15s footballer for his local club

The star Richmond Tigers defender looks unrecognisable in the throwback picture, which was taken during his days as an U15s footballer for his local club

Back in May, Houli said his brother would call with regular updates from the front line in Melbourne, but always offered hope and guidance.

‘He’s a leader within our family,’ Houli said.

Houli’s mother later tested positive for COVID-19, and the deadly respiratory virus rapidly spread through about 70 per cent of his family.

He never caught it, and said he thought it was a gift ‘from upstairs’.

‘We’re a very close-knit family and for some reason when Mum and that got sick I actually hadn’t seen them for over two weeks,’ he said.

‘This never happens — so was it a coincidence?

‘The consequences for us as AFL players — you can imagine if I got it or my wife got it, would have passed it onto me, would’ve passed it onto my players.

Bachar Houli (pictured with two of his daughters) believes his family and faith will always be more important than the game, as he prepares for his third Grand Final appearance

Bachar Houli (pictured with two of his daughters) believes his family and faith will always be more important than the game, as he prepares for his third Grand Final appearance

Bachar Houli (pictured with two of his daughters) believes his family and faith will always be more important than the game, as he prepares for his third Grand Final appearance

Houli is based in Queensland gearing up for this weekend's blockbuster Grand Final. He joined his team eight weeks after they arrived to be there for the birth of his first child

Houli is based in Queensland gearing up for this weekend's blockbuster Grand Final. He joined his team eight weeks after they arrived to be there for the birth of his first child

Houli is based in Queensland gearing up for this weekend’s blockbuster Grand Final. He joined his team eight weeks after they arrived to be there for the birth of his first child

‘The season would have been done, so I felt like I was protected from upstairs.’ 

Houli urged his fans and fellow Muslims to get tested after his mother’s diagnosis and to do their bit for the community. 

He said he’d been tested ‘over 30 times’ as a current AFL player in line with protocols to keep the game alive during the pandemic. 

Houli is based in Queensland gearing up for this weekend’s blockbuster Grand Final.

He joined his team eight weeks after they arrived to be there for the birth of his first child. 

The landmark occasion will be held in the Sunshine State for the first time in its history after Melbourne was unable to get the virus under control in time.  

‘Honestly I haven’t really thought about it as such. Maybe because the build up is not there and there hasn’t been the huge hype but at the end of the day if you’re thinking about that you’re thinking about outcome and that’s not what we do,’ Houli said.

‘We think about the process and what it takes to give ourselves the best possible chance to be victorious on the night.’

Houli has previously described his brother, and all other frontline workers, as the real heroes who deserve recognition for their efforts, but understands he is a role model for younger people in the community. 

When he was growing up, he was told very early on that he had a spark that could take him all the way in his AFL career. Pictured accepting the Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award in 2020

When he was growing up, he was told very early on that he had a spark that could take him all the way in his AFL career. Pictured accepting the Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award in 2020

When he was growing up, he was told very early on that he had a spark that could take him all the way in his AFL career. Pictured accepting the Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award in 2020

‘These are the true heroes. They are quiet, they get the job done and they are making a massive difference in this world,’ Houli said back in May.

‘I think they need to be put up on a pedestal and be commended for what they do.’

When he was growing up, he was told very early on that he had a spark that could take him all the way in his AFL career.

‘I was one of those kids that was pretending to go to the local park and having a kick with my friends in the neighbourhood, but I was going to training and then on the weekends you’d get up nice and early and get the coach to pick you up from the corner block,’ Houli previously told Herald Sun.

When his parents eventually did find out, they were told of his immense talent and tried their hardest to be supportive.

The 32-year-old said his dad came around first, coming to watch him play occasionally and even doing the drop off and pick ups.

By 2006, Houli was pick 42 in the draft for Essendon, and had officially cracked the big time. Saturday will mark Houli's third appearance in an AFL Grand Final

By 2006, Houli was pick 42 in the draft for Essendon, and had officially cracked the big time. Saturday will mark Houli's third appearance in an AFL Grand Final

By 2006, Houli was pick 42 in the draft for Essendon, and had officially cracked the big time. Saturday will mark Houli’s third appearance in an AFL Grand Final

‘It was after two years that he fully supported what I was doing, and would take me to training, pick me up and he would stop his taxi for a week and come and support me interstate when I was playing in the national championships,’ the 32-year-old said. 

His mum was a bit harder to convince, and never really got on board with the idea of watching the games in the park.

While she agreed to let him play, it was decided that if his efforts or results in the classroom started to slip, football would be the first to go.

By 2006, Houli was pick 42 in the draft for Essendon, and had officially cracked the big time. 

Saturday will mark Houli’s third appearance in an AFL Grand Final. 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Man is charged after ‘punching boy’, 5, in the face in Glebe

Published

on

By

man is charged after punching boy 5 in the face in glebe

A man has been charged after allegedly punching a five-year-old boy in the face, knocking him to the ground in an unprovoked attack on an inner Sydney street.

The boy was walking with his nine-year-old brother and grandmother on Bridge Street, in Glebe about 4.20pm on Tuesday when a stranger approached and punched him.

Less than an hour earlier, police say the same 40-year-old man punched a 23-year-old woman in the head twice in another unprovoked attack.

A five-year-old boy has allegedly been punched in the face by an unknown man while walking along Bridge Street (pictured) in Glebe,  in Sydney's inner west, on Tuesday afternoon

A five-year-old boy has allegedly been punched in the face by an unknown man while walking along Bridge Street (pictured) in Glebe,  in Sydney's inner west, on Tuesday afternoon

A five-year-old boy has allegedly been punched in the face by an unknown man while walking along Bridge Street (pictured) in Glebe,  in Sydney’s inner west, on Tuesday afternoon 

The woman was also knocked to the ground during the nearby attack in Camperdown.

Both of the victims suffered facial bruising.

Police arrested the man on Thursday morning, charging him with two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was refused bail and will appear at Central Local Court on Thursday.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.