Connect with us

Australia

Man marries his own mother-in-law after divorcing his wife and getting 500-year-old law overturned

Published

on

man marries his own mother in law after divorcing his wife and getting 500 year old law overturned

A man has married his own mother-in-law after divorcing his wife of eight years and getting a 500-year-old law overturned.

Clive Blunden, 65, and Brenda, 77, have been together for over 30 years and officially tied the knot in 2007.

But Clive, from Warrington, Cheshire, was arrested in 1997 after the pair announced their plans to marry.

Clive Blunden, 65, and Brenda, 77, above in 2012, have been together for more than 30 years. Clive made history when he became the first man in over 400 years to marry his mother-in-law

Clive Blunden, 65, and Brenda, 77, above in 2012, have been together for more than 30 years. Clive made history when he became the first man in over 400 years to marry his mother-in-law

Clive Blunden, 65, and Brenda, 77, above in 2012, have been together for more than 30 years. Clive made history when he became the first man in over 400 years to marry his mother-in-law

The 65-year-old was told he could be sentenced to up to seven years in prison due to a ‘lawful impediment’, so the couple decided to change Brenda’s surname by deed poll instead.

Clive then went on to work for the law to be changed, with a European Court overturning it ten years later, in 2005.

He told the Mirror: ‘People thought we wouldn’t last but we are stronger than ever.

‘We’re together 24/7 and there’s a magic to it.’

Brenda added: ‘Clive is a gentleman and he looks after me. I can get a bit argumentative but he quietens me down.’

Clive and his ex-wife, Irene, married in 1977 and had two daughters, divorcing in 1985. 

Clive and Brenda first began dating in 1989, four years after Clive divorced from Irene

Clive and Brenda first began dating in 1989, four years after Clive divorced from Irene

The pair, pictured in 2012, officially tied the knot in 2007, two years after the law was overturned

The pair, pictured in 2012, officially tied the knot in 2007, two years after the law was overturned

Clive and Brenda first began dating in 1989, left, four years after Clive divorced from Irene. The pair, right, in 2012, officially tied the knot in 2007, two years after the law was overturned

Clive and Brenda pictured on ITV's This Morning in London in 2012. The pair renewed their wedding vows five years after they married in 2007

Clive and Brenda pictured on ITV's This Morning in London in 2012. The pair renewed their wedding vows five years after they married in 2007

Clive and Brenda pictured on ITV’s This Morning in London in 2012. The pair renewed their wedding vows five years after they married in 2007

Irene did not attend Clive and Brenda’s wedding and previously said she felt her mother ‘totally betrayed’ her.

She told The People in 2012: ‘I don’t even know who my mum is any more – she totally betrayed me.

‘This person who is smiling and laughing with my ex, posing for photographs and talking about renewing her vows is a total stranger to me.’

Powered by: Daily Mail

Australia

Fears grow for missing boy, 3, who vanished outside his house wearing white ‘Spiderman’ pyjamas

Published

on

By

fears grow for missing boy 3 who vanished outside his house wearing white spiderman pyjamas

A frantic search is underway after a three-year-old boy vanished from outside of his house on Saturday morning. 

Police are searching in the area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy was last seen about 7:30am on Saturday. 

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white ‘Spiderman’ pyjamas.

Police are searching in the area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy (pictured) was last seen about 7:30am on Saturday

Police are searching in the area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy (pictured) was last seen about 7:30am on Saturday

Police are searching in the area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy (pictured) was last seen about 7:30am on Saturday 

Anyone who sees the boy is asked to remain with him and call police immediately on 000.  

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white 'Spiderman' pyjamas

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white 'Spiderman' pyjamas

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white ‘Spiderman’ pyjamas 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

New South Wales reports three new COVID-19 cases

Published

on

By

new south wales reports three new covid 19 cases

New South Wales has reported three new COVID-19 cases overnight.

Two cases are from returned travellers currently staying in hotel quarantine.

The other case is a staff member who worked while potentially infectious at Concord Hospital, in Sydney’s inner west. 

NSW Health said it was investigating how the staff member became infected.

‘The case cared for patients with COVID-19 and further investigation is underway to identify how the infection was acquired. 

‘Contact tracing is underway.’

New South Wales has reported three new COVID-19 cases overnight (pictured, two women wear face masks in Circular Quay)

New South Wales has reported three new COVID-19 cases overnight (pictured, two women wear face masks in Circular Quay)

New South Wales has reported three new COVID-19 cases overnight (pictured, two women wear face masks in Circular Quay)

The other case is a staff member at Concord Hospital, in Sydney's inner west

The other case is a staff member at Concord Hospital, in Sydney's inner west

The other case is a staff member at Concord Hospital, in Sydney’s inner west

Four people are currently being treated in intensive care units with two connected to respirators.   

NSW had six new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday, with just one acquired locally and linked to a known cluster.

Five of the cases were returned overseas travellers in hotel quarantine.

The locally acquired case is a household contact of another one who attended Liverpool Hospital and was in isolation while infectious.

There are now 21 cases linked to the Liverpool Hospital dialysis cluster. 

As the state continues to record low numbers of COVID-19 cases, premier Gladys Berejiklian has made plans to welcome an extra 500 weekly returned travellers.  

The increase will start from September 27, and takes the state’s intake to about 3,000 a week.

It followed Ms Berejiklian’s declaration she’d be happy to accept the extra travellers if Queensland and Western Australia doubled their intake.

Those states will scale up capacity by 500 returnees per week more slowly than NSW.

Ms Berejiklian has for months been urging the other states to lift their game and share the load.  

NSW had six new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday, with just one acquired locally and linked to a known cluster (pictured, nurses at a COVID-19 pop-up clinic at Rushcutters Bay)

NSW had six new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday, with just one acquired locally and linked to a known cluster (pictured, nurses at a COVID-19 pop-up clinic at Rushcutters Bay)

NSW had six new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday, with just one acquired locally and linked to a known cluster (pictured, nurses at a COVID-19 pop-up clinic at Rushcutters Bay)

NSW Health said it was investigating how the staff member at Concord Hospital became infected

NSW Health said it was investigating how the staff member at Concord Hospital became infected

NSW Health said it was investigating how the staff member at Concord Hospital became infected

The state premier continues to be at loggerheads with Queensland counterpart Annastacia Palaszczuk over the NSW and QLD border issue.

Queensland announced on Friday ACT residents will be able to fly into the Sunshine State from September 25, but those in NSW cannot as it’s still considered a hotspot.

Ms Berejiklian said all border talks with Ms Palaszczuk had ceased again, but Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles denied any communication breakdown.

He said Queensland’s chief health officer speaks with her NSW counterpart almost every day and he speaks with his counterpart most days too.

It came as NSW agreed to accept an additional 500 returned travellers each week into its hotel quarantine system. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

Man who lost his penis to a flesh-eating bacteria sues hospital

Published

on

By

man who lost his penis to a flesh eating bacteria sues hospital

A man is suing a hospital after his penis was amputated when he developed flesh-eating bacteria. 

The 70-year-old from Shepparton, in Victoria, alleges that Goulburn Valley Health failed to treat him ‘adequately’ when he complained to the hospital of his illness, according to The Goulburn Valley News

In a Supreme Court writ filed on Monday, Wayne Grundy claims he caught the bacterial infection and ‘necrotising fasciitis’ during a week-long stay at the facility in April and May 2018. 

The 70-year-old from Shepparton alleges that Goulburn Valley Health failed to treat him 'adequately' when he complained to the hospital of his illness (stock image)

The 70-year-old from Shepparton alleges that Goulburn Valley Health failed to treat him 'adequately' when he complained to the hospital of his illness (stock image)

The 70-year-old from Shepparton alleges that Goulburn Valley Health failed to treat him ‘adequately’ when he complained to the hospital of his illness (stock image) 

He alleges that staff at the hospital ‘failed to adequately or properly assess the penis adequately or at all’ and did not administer antibiotics for the first one-and-a-half days of treatment. 

Among the other claims is that he was not transferred to Royal Melbourne Hospital for specialist treatment when the infection was diagnosed. 

The writ claims Mr Grundy suffers ‘psychological upset together with depression and anxiety’ and ‘will continue to suffer loss and damage’. 

He claims he has also developed post-traumatic stress disorder after the alleged botched treatment. 

Carmelo Barbante from Barbarte Personal Injury Lawyers told the publication that these types of cases were rare but the allegations of negligence were serious. 

His client is seeking medical costs, damages, and interest. 

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Goulburn Valley Health for comment.  

He alleges that staff at the hospital (pictured) 'failed to adequately or properly assess the penis adequately or at all' and did not administer antibiotics for the first one-and-a-half days of treatment

He alleges that staff at the hospital (pictured) 'failed to adequately or properly assess the penis adequately or at all' and did not administer antibiotics for the first one-and-a-half days of treatment

He alleges that staff at the hospital (pictured) ‘failed to adequately or properly assess the penis adequately or at all’ and did not administer antibiotics for the first one-and-a-half days of treatment 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.