Connect with us

Australia

New poll reveals Victorians no longer trust their police force

Published

on

new poll reveals victorians no longer trust their police force

Victorians have lost faith in Victoria Police in record numbers during Melbourne‘s seemingly never-ending Stage Four lockdown, a new poll has revealed. 

Disturbing results indicate only 42 per cent of Victorians now rate Victoria Police highly for their ethics and honesty compared to to a record high 76 percent in mid-2017.

The fourth Roy Morgan snap SMS survey on Victoria’s Stage Four restrictions suggests Victoria Police has suffered a public relations nightmare amid disturbing allegations of heavy handed tactics. 

Police arrest a woman on Elsternwick Beach last month after breaking up a protest at a nearby park

Police arrest a woman on Elsternwick Beach last month after breaking up a protest at a nearby park

Police arrest a woman on Elsternwick Beach last month after breaking up a protest at a nearby park

A man is arrested on a Melbourne beach last month amid Stage Four lockdowns

A man is arrested on a Melbourne beach last month amid Stage Four lockdowns

A man is arrested on a Melbourne beach last month amid Stage Four lockdowns

Victoria Police patrol through Chadstone Shopping Centre on September 20. Melburnians have complained they now live in a police state

Victoria Police patrol through Chadstone Shopping Centre on September 20. Melburnians have complained they now live in a police state

Victoria Police patrol through Chadstone Shopping Centre on September 20. Melburnians have complained they now live in a police state 

Roy Morgan chief executive officer Michele Levine said Victoria Police had attracted a degree of controversy in recent weeks after the release of several videos on social media that highlighted alleged COVID-19 lawbreakers being subject to potentially ‘heavy-handed’ police action. 

These included the arrest of a pregnant woman in her own home in Ballarat over a Facebook post, elderly ladies being confronted on park benches for not wearing masks and a woman being forcibly removed from her car after refusing to provide her driver’s licence. 

Victorians were appalled when video emerged last month of a Victoria Police officer stomping a man’s head during an arrest in Epping 

Video further captured the man being run down by police in their squad car.

The 32-year-old father was placed in an induced coma following the incident. 

Both incidents remain the subject of criminal investigations by Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission. 

Victorians have been further angered by the ‘no-nonsense approach’ of Victoria Police top brass, who continue to belittle those fed-up with the lock down. 

Victoria Police assistant commissioner Luke Cornelius has been among the worst offenders, labelling protesters the ‘tinfoil hat wearing brigade’.

Just weeks before the latest poll, Mr Cornelius lashed out at protesters from the comfort of his pulpit at police headquarters. 

‘I feel a bit like a dog returning to eat his own vomit,’ he crowed. ‘I’m sick of it.’

Zoe Buhler said she did not realise she was doing anything wrong by starting a Facebook event asking people to meet in Ballarat. She was arrested in her pyjamas last month

Zoe Buhler said she did not realise she was doing anything wrong by starting a Facebook event asking people to meet in Ballarat. She was arrested in her pyjamas last month

Zoe Buhler said she did not realise she was doing anything wrong by starting a Facebook event asking people to meet in Ballarat. She was arrested in her pyjamas last month

Police converge on some elderly Melburnians who were not wearing masks. One officer was seen snatching a phone off one of the women

Police converge on some elderly Melburnians who were not wearing masks. One officer was seen snatching a phone off one of the women

Police converge on some elderly Melburnians who were not wearing masks. One officer was seen snatching a phone off one of the women

A Morgan Gallop poll asked should Melbourne residents now be able to visit the homes of their immediate families?

A Morgan Gallop poll asked should Melbourne residents now be able to visit the homes of their immediate families?

A Morgan Gallop poll asked should Melbourne residents now be able to visit the homes of their immediate families?

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius addresses the media during a press conference

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius addresses the media during a press conference

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius addresses the media during a press conference

‘They’re taking every opportunity to leverage the current situation to serve their ridiculous notions about so called sovereign citizens, about constitutional issues and about how 5G is going to kill your grandkids,’ he said of a previous protest.

‘I mean it’s just crazy, it’s batsh*t crazy nonsense.’

For months now Victorians have been bombarded with information on police arrests and the issuing of hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines over lockdown breaches.

Ms Levine said there was little wonder as to why the poll indicated Victorians had begin to doubt the integrity of Victoria Police. 

‘Given the media attention paid to these incidents in locked down Melbourne it is no surprise that fewer Victorians than three years ago rate the police either very high or high for ethics and honesty,’ she said. 

The poll, which was conducted with a Victoria-wide cross-section of 2,278 Victorians aged 18 and over on September 15 and 16, revealed only 11  percent of Victorians rated police in the very high category, with  25 percent  rating them low.

Women rated the ethics and honesty of Victorian Police more highly than men, with 46 percent of women rating them either very high or high compared to 38 percent of men.  

In 2017, Victorians rated police as the eighth most trusted profession behind only nurses, doctors, pharmacists, school teachers, engineers, dentists and state Supreme Court judges.

The poll also indicated Victorians are fed-up with the lockdown, with 55 percent declaring Melbourne residents should now be able to visit the homes of immediate family members. 

A man dances for police at St Kilda Beach during COVID-19 in Melbourne last weekend

A man dances for police at St Kilda Beach during COVID-19 in Melbourne last weekend

A man dances for police at St Kilda Beach during COVID-19 in Melbourne last weekend

Ratings of Victorian Police for honesty and ethical standards by Gender and Age

Ratings of Victorian Police for honesty and ethical standards by Gender and Age

Ratings of Victorian Police for honesty and ethical standards by Gender and Age

Police march through a Melbourne park in September. Victorians have indicated they no longer trust police

Police march through a Melbourne park in September. Victorians have indicated they no longer trust police

Police march through a Melbourne park in September. Victorians have indicated they no longer trust police 

Melbournians also want to be able to travel further, with an increased majority of 53 percent of respondents declaring  they should be free to travel more than 5 km from their home – up from 50 percent a week earlier.

Under the regional travel crackdown under COVOD-19 restrictions, Victorians who leave a restricted area without a lawful excuse can be handed a $4,957 fine. 

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has warned the controversial 5km travel rule could be extended beyond October 19.

Mr Andrews said the restriction — which applies to metropolitan Melbourne — had a clear purpose and could be extended despite the daily number of cases trending down.

On Monday, Victoria recorded nine new cases of coronavirus and no new virus deaths — the first time since September 15.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Australia

Traffic chaos in Sydney as ute goes up in flames on Eastern Distributor

Published

on

By

traffic chaos in sydney as ute goes up in flames on eastern distributor

A vehicle blaze on the Eastern Distributor in Sydney is causing major delays. 

All southbound lanes are closed from Moore Park in the city’s south. 

Fire crews are working to contain the fire and there are no reports of injuries. 

Footage of the incident shows a ute engulfed in flames at the exit from a tunnel along what is one of the city’s major arterial roads. 

More to come.  

Footage of the  incident shows the blazing ute parked to the edge of the asphalt at the exit of one of the tunnels (pictured)

Footage of the  incident shows the blazing ute parked to the edge of the asphalt at the exit of one of the tunnels (pictured)

Footage of the  incident shows the blazing ute parked to the edge of the asphalt at the exit of one of the tunnels (pictured) 

Fire crews are working to control the blaze and traffic is affected going southbound

Fire crews are working to control the blaze and traffic is affected going southbound

Fire crews are working to control the blaze and traffic is affected going southbound 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Surge of coronavirus cases in 75% of US is a ‘distressing trend’ officials say

Published

on

By

surge of coronavirus cases in 75 of us is a distressing trend officials say

US health officials on Wednesday promised that ‘hope is on the way’ in the form of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments expected by year-end – but acknowledged a ‘distressing’ upward trend in cases across the US. 

Coronavirus infections are on the rise in about three quarters of US states, said Dr Jay Butler, deputy director for infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).   

Dr Butler, CDC director Dr Robert Redfield and Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar blamed this nationwide increase on gatherings moving indoors, and poor adherence to infection control guidelines, like masking. 

They hung their hopes on the availability of vaccines in ‘weeks or months,’ as well as antibody treatments like the one that President Trump was given. 

When pressed on whether Trump’s rift with top infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci would undermine trust in a vaccine, Azar said that the conflict had nothing to do with the reliability of science driving the vaccine research, and underscored the series of five vaccine safety ‘checks’ in place in the approval process. 

Azar also defended against accusations that his own agency had undermined the CDC, saying that critics ‘have not lived in and [worked in] an agency like this and fail to appreciate that.’  

CDC and HHS officials said during a Wednesday briefing that the rise of coronavirus cases is 'distressing' but said  they anticipate a vaccine available to vulnerable Americans by year-end

CDC and HHS officials said during a Wednesday briefing that the rise of coronavirus cases is 'distressing' but said  they anticipate a vaccine available to vulnerable Americans by year-end

CDC and HHS officials said during a Wednesday briefing that the rise of coronavirus cases is ‘distressing’ but said  they anticipate a vaccine available to vulnerable Americans by year-end

Wednesday’s press briefing largely rehashed promises and warnings already made by the HHS and CDC.  

‘The past week, we’ve seen nearly 60,000 cases a day as well as 700 deaths,’ said Butler. 

Case increases were accompanying a sense of fatigue and perhaps false security after the relatively low case numbers of the late summer and early fall, with more people seeing friends and family, ‘especially as these gatherings are moving indoors and adherence to face coverings may not be optimal,’ Dr Butler added. 

‘We are all getting tired with the impacts that COVID-19 has had on our lives, we get tired of wearing masks, but it continues to be as important as it’s ever been.’  

Seconding his warning, Azar said:  ‘While we are making exciting progress on vaccines and therapeutics, we see concerning trends across the country. 

‘There is hope on the way in the form of safe and effective vaccines in a matter of weeks or months.’ 

But he added that the ‘three W’s’ – washing hands, watching your distance and wearing a mask – are the ‘bridge’ between  current pandemic conditions and the arrival of vaccines. 

Trials of vaccines being made by AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson are on hold in the US following potential adverse events. 

Operation Warp Speed head, Dr Moncef Slaoui said Wednesday that these trials could resume as soon as next week. Officials participating in the briefing appeared unaware of Dr Slaoui’s statement. 

34681718 0 image a 4 1603315963733

34681718 0 image a 4 1603315963733

34681714 0 image a 5 1603315978322

34681714 0 image a 5 1603315978322

The officials said that they anticipated the approval of one or more vaccines and to have enough doses for all ‘vulnerable’ Americans by year-end. 

By the end of January, Azar anticipates enough doses for all seniors and health care workers to be available. 

All other Americans who want to get vaccinated against COVID-19 should be able to do so by the end of March he said. 

Officials reiterated the partnership between the US government and pharmacy giants  Walgreens and CVS would help ensure that elderly Americans in nursing homes, as well as care home staff, have access to vaccines. 

All US states and territories have now submitted their plans for distributing coronavirus vaccines to the CDC in anticipation of emergency approval for one or more shot, the officials said.   

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Head of Operation Warp speed says he expects coronavirus vaccine trials to resume next week  

Published

on

By

head of operation warp speed says he expects coronavirus vaccine trials to resume next week

The head of Operation Warp Speed said he expects two paused coronavirus vaccine trials to resume as soon as next week. 

AstraZeneca Plc and Johnson & Johnson each put their respective trials on hold after participants fell inexplicably ill.

But Dr Moncef Slaouo, who leads the government’s plan to fast-track the production of millions of vaccine doses, says he believes a announcement from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is approaching.    

‘It’s for the FDA to announce and decide but I understand that this is imminent,’ Slaoui told Bloomberg.

‘I hope that the J&J trial also will restart later this week.’  

Dr Moncef Slaoui, the chief of Operation Warp Speed, says he expects two paused coronavirus trials to resume this week. Pictured: Slaoui stands on the podium before President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference at the White House, September 18

Dr Moncef Slaoui, the chief of Operation Warp Speed, says he expects two paused coronavirus trials to resume this week. Pictured: Slaoui stands on the podium before President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference at the White House, September 18

Dr Moncef Slaoui, the chief of Operation Warp Speed, says he expects two paused coronavirus trials to resume this week. Pictured: Slaoui stands on the podium before President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference at the White House, September 18

AstraZeneca's US arm was placed on hold on September 8 when a British participant suffered a serious reaction that triggered spinal cord inflammation

AstraZeneca's US arm was placed on hold on September 8 when a British participant suffered a serious reaction that triggered spinal cord inflammation

Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine trial was paused on October 12 after a volunteer developed an 'unexplained illness'

Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine trial was paused on October 12 after a volunteer developed an 'unexplained illness'

AstraZeneca’s (left) US arm was placed on hold on September 8 when a British participant suffered a serious reaction that triggered spinal cord inflammation. Johnson & Johnson’s (right) COVID-19 vaccine trial was paused on October 12 after a volunteer developed an ‘unexplained illness’

Both companies are developing what is known as a viral vector vaccine.

The immunization combines genetic material from the new virus with the genes of the adenovirus, which causes the common cold.

It codes for the spike protein that the coronavirus uses to enter and infect cells in order to train the body to recognized the virus and induce an immune response if infected.

This is the same technology that J&J used to make an experimental Ebola vaccine for people in the Democratic Republic of Congo in late 2019. 

Slaoui said there is currently no evidence to suggest viral vector vaccines are less safe than other vaccine types being developed to combat COVID-19. 

‘I have not seen data at all that suggests these platform technologies have a problem,’ he told Bloomberg.

AstraZeneca’s late-stage study, being conducted with the University of Oxford, was put on hold on September 8 when a British participant was rushed to the hospital after suffering a serious reaction that triggered spinal cord inflammation. 

An internal safety report revealed the British patient was diagnosed with transverse myelitis, an inflammation of a section of the spinal cord.

The condition damages the myelin sheath, an insulating barrier of fatty protein that protects the nerves, and interrupts messages sent by spinal cord nerves.

This results in pain, weakness, abnormal sensations, and problems of the bladder and bowel – and can even lead to permanent paralysis. 

Testing has since resumed at all other sites, but not in the US.

Now, four sources briefed on the matter, who asked to remain anonymous, say they have been told the trial could resume later this week, according to Reuters.

34680510 8865501 image a 34 1603315024193

34680510 8865501 image a 34 1603315024193

34680498 8865501 image a 45 1603315126113

34680498 8865501 image a 45 1603315126113

34680504 8865501 image a 46 1603315145847

34680504 8865501 image a 46 1603315145847

Allowing testing to resume likely means the FDA believes illness suffered by the British patient was not linked to the experimental vaccine. 

However, the FDA is requiring researchers conducting the trial to add information about the incident to consent forms signed by study participants, according to one of the sources.

Meanwhile, J&J’s COVID-19 vaccine trial was paused on October 12 after a volunteer developed an ‘unexplained illness.’ 

The company has declined to provide further details about the nature of the illness and cited patient privacy.  

‘We must respect this participant’s privacy. We’re also learning more about this participant’s illness, and it’s important to have all the facts before we share additional information,’ a spokesperson said. 

J&J has refused to answer whether the participant received the vaccine or the placebo and if the trial has been paused before. 

34680506 8865501 image a 47 1603315182719

34680506 8865501 image a 47 1603315182719

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.