Connect with us

Australia

Perth’s Curtin University worksite investigated three times before worker fell to death

Published

on

perths curtin university worksite investigated three times before worker fell to death

A construction site at a Western Australian university had been inspected three times in the past year before a worker fell through its glass roof and died.  

Jonnie Hartshorn, 23, plunged 20 metres to his death after he fell through the building’s canopy at Curtin University’s Bentley campus in Perth‘s south-east on Tuesday. 

Workmate Rikki Issitt, 26, was also seriously injured and taken to hospital where he was placed into an induced coma.

He awoke on Wednesday and remains in a critical but stable condition. 

A 27-year-old construction worker was also injured and is recovering at home.

The cause of the incident is still being investigated by authorities. 

The state’s health and safety workplace regulator WorkSafe has revealed it inspected the worksite at the university three times over the past year, news.com reported. 

Jonnie Hartshorn, 23, (pictured) plunged 20 metres to his death after he fell through the building's canopy at Curtin University's Bentley campus in Perth's south-east on Tuesday

Jonnie Hartshorn, 23, (pictured) plunged 20 metres to his death after he fell through the building's canopy at Curtin University's Bentley campus in Perth's south-east on Tuesday

Jonnie Hartshorn, 23, (pictured) plunged 20 metres to his death after he fell through the building’s canopy at Curtin University’s Bentley campus in Perth’s south-east on Tuesday

Kylie Galende (pictured left) said her boyfriend's death 'shouldn't have happened' and a 'beautiful man' has been taken away

Kylie Galende (pictured left) said her boyfriend's death 'shouldn't have happened' and a 'beautiful man' has been taken away

Kylie Galende (pictured left) said her boyfriend’s death ‘shouldn’t have happened’ and a ‘beautiful man’ has been taken away

The cause of the incident at Curtin University's Bentley campus (pictured) is still being investigated by authorities

The cause of the incident at Curtin University's Bentley campus (pictured) is still being investigated by authorities

The cause of the incident at Curtin University’s Bentley campus (pictured) is still being investigated by authorities

‘WorkSafe inspectors have been to the site on a number of occasions previously,’ commissioner Darren Kavanagh said.

‘Obviously there’s been lots of claims made since the incident and so our investigators will look at all of those elements.’

WorkSafe had carried out routine checks in October 2019 and February this year. 

Then the safety watchdog revisited the site after concrete fell off a truck in June.  

On all three occasions, no issues were flagged about the glass canopy.

Mr Kavanagh said the site had been re-examined on Thursday.

‘We can’t get close to the steel and glass structure because the structure is not stable, so we are utilising other technologies to gather some evidence to assist us in determining what the cause of the incident is,’ he said. 

Mr Hartshorn’s devastated family have laid flowers at the site of their son’s death while his girlfriend Kylie Bonita Galende paid tribute to her lost love in an emotional Facebook post. 

‘The moment our eyes met, we both knew … you are my other half. The missing piece of me,’ she wrote.

‘I don’t really know how life will continue now. No one had ever seen me as happy as when we are together.

Construction worker Jonnie Hartshorn and his girlfriend Kylie Galende (pictured right)

Construction worker Jonnie Hartshorn and his girlfriend Kylie Galende (pictured right)

Construction worker Jonnie Hartshorn and his girlfriend Kylie Galende (pictured right)

Work mate Rikki Issitt, 26, (pictured) was also seriously injured and taken to hospital where he was placed into an induced coma

Work mate Rikki Issitt, 26, (pictured) was also seriously injured and taken to hospital where he was placed into an induced coma

Work mate Rikki Issitt, 26, (pictured) was also seriously injured and taken to hospital where he was placed into an induced coma

The state's health and safety workplace regulator WorkSafe has revealed it inspected the worksite at the university three times over the past year (pictured, workers outside the construction site on Tuesday)

The state's health and safety workplace regulator WorkSafe has revealed it inspected the worksite at the university three times over the past year (pictured, workers outside the construction site on Tuesday)

The state’s health and safety workplace regulator WorkSafe has revealed it inspected the worksite at the university three times over the past year (pictured, workers outside the construction site on Tuesday) 

‘The world has just turned very, very dark and gloomy. A beautiful man was taken from everyone today and it shouldn’t have happened.’

Up to 100 staff were working on the building site at the time of the incident, and were promptly evacuated.   

One distressed worker said he witnessed the incident unfold and watched his workmate get swallowed up in a ‘big mess of glass and metal’.

‘I made eye contact with him. I couldn’t do anything,’ he said. 

The building involved is reportedly the School of Design and the Built Environment, known as building 418. 

Mick Buchan, the State Secretary of the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union vowed to do whatever it took to determine what caused the building to collapse. 

‘We are not going to leave any rock unturned to get to the outcome of what has happened,’ he said.

‘There is going to be a lot of explaining to do.

‘When you hear of a young worker that’s died on the job, just starting his career in construction, what message does that send? It’s an absolute disgrace. Someone has to be accountable and made responsible for this.’

Up to 100 staff were working on the building site at the time of the incident, and were promptly evacuated

Up to 100 staff were working on the building site at the time of the incident, and were promptly evacuated

Up to 100 staff were working on the building site at the time of the incident, and were promptly evacuated 

Devastated union officials are seen at the scene of a collapsed building at Curtin University

Devastated union officials are seen at the scene of a collapsed building at Curtin University

Devastated union officials are seen at the scene of a collapsed building at Curtin University

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Australia

Popular Coogee Carols is CANCELLED due to coronavirus concerns

Published

on

By

popular coogee carols is cancelled due to coronavirus concerns

One of Sydney’s most popular New Year’s Eve events has been cancelled due to coronavirus concerns.

Randwick Council decided on Wednesday to put a pin in the Coogee New Year’s Eve fireworks show this year. 

The council also made the difficult decision to scrap the much-loved Coogee Carols.

Randwick Council has decided to scrap its popular Coogee Carols due to coronavirus concerns

Randwick Council has decided to scrap its popular Coogee Carols due to coronavirus concerns

Randwick Council has decided to scrap its popular Coogee Carols due to coronavirus concerns

Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern

Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern

Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern

Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern, the Daily Telegraph reported.

‘Ultimately we could not guarantee large crowds could gather safely inline with NSW Public Health Orders given the continued threat of COVID-19.

‘We’re very disappointed to have to make this decision, but I hope people will understand the reason for it.’

Hundreds flock to Sydney's eastern suburbs for the popular Coogee Carols and Coogee New Year's Eve fireworks show

Hundreds flock to Sydney's eastern suburbs for the popular Coogee Carols and Coogee New Year's Eve fireworks show

Hundreds flock to Sydney’s eastern suburbs for the popular Coogee Carols and Coogee New Year’s Eve fireworks show

He said the council had an enhanced program of Christmas activities which would ‘bring a bit of a joy and fun in what’s been a tough year’.

Sydney’s iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks display is still tipped to go ahead but it will likely be far more toned back than normal. 

The event, which typically attracts more than a million spectators to the central city, will be exclusively seen on TV.

Areas to the city’s coastline will likely be restricted to prevent any large gatherings. 

Sydney's world-famous New Year's Eve firework display (pictured above at Sydney Harbour) will likely be scaled back to stop the spread of the coronavirus

Sydney's world-famous New Year's Eve firework display (pictured above at Sydney Harbour) will likely be scaled back to stop the spread of the coronavirus

Sydney’s world-famous New Year’s Eve firework display (pictured above at Sydney Harbour) will likely be scaled back to stop the spread of the coronavirus

Revellers would be be shifted from public parks and harbour foreshores (pictured) to private homes and pubs to watch the show

Revellers would be be shifted from public parks and harbour foreshores (pictured) to private homes and pubs to watch the show

Revellers would be be shifted from public parks and harbour foreshores (pictured) to private homes and pubs to watch the show

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Teenager is charged with murder after an 18-year-old man was ‘stabbed to death at a skate park’ 

Published

on

By

teenager is charged with murder after an 18 year old man was stabbed to death at a skate park

A 16-year-old boy has been charged with murder after a teenager was allegedly stabbed to death during a brawl at a skate park.

Police allege a group of youths made threats to each other online before agreeing to meet at the park on Dillon Close in Weston, Canberra, for a fight last month.

Officers were called to the scene at about 1am on Sunday 27 September after the 16-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man suffered stab wounds.  

The 16-year-old allegedly used a knife to stab his victim multiple times. The 18-year-old died at the scene. 

Police allege a group of youths made threats to each other online before agreeing to meet at the park on Dillon Close in Weston, Canberra (pictured), for a fight last month

Police allege a group of youths made threats to each other online before agreeing to meet at the park on Dillon Close in Weston, Canberra (pictured), for a fight last month

Police allege a group of youths made threats to each other online before agreeing to meet at the park on Dillon Close in Weston, Canberra (pictured), for a fight last month

The boy appeared in the ACT Children’s Court by videolink from the Bimberi Youth Justice Centre on Wednesday after being charged with murder and affray.   

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller said the alleged stabbing was a traumatic incident for everyone, specifically the families of the two involved.  

‘There’s a family deeply grieving the loss of their son and because we must seek justice, another family is potentially facing life-long consequences for what happened that night,’ he said.

‘This has been a tough investigation for detectives, it’s always very sad when young people are involved in serious crime.

‘When police were called it was too late to make a difference and that’s shattering for us because we are here to help anyone in trouble.’

Detective Superintendent Moller pleaded for young people to contact police or a trusted adult if issues escalate online.  

A police and emergency services operation is conducted after the alleged stabbing on September 27

A police and emergency services operation is conducted after the alleged stabbing on September 27

A police and emergency services operation is conducted after the alleged stabbing on September 27

‘Cyber abuse and cyberbullying can quickly intensify in scale and nature, and feel deeply personal,’ he said.

‘It can be hard but try not to respond or retaliate. If possible switch off your phone for a while and seek help.

‘Before you block or delete the person and comments, make sure you save the evidence of what has occurred. This can help a police investigation if it’s needed. 

‘It may not seem like it at the time but I promise you, you won’t regret asking for help if you’re being abused or bullied online – it could save your life.’

Police are asking for anyone who was involved in the fight or who has further information to come forward. 

Pictured: The police operation after the 18-year-old was allegedly fatally stabbed in Canberra

Pictured: The police operation after the 18-year-old was allegedly fatally stabbed in Canberra

Pictured: The police operation after the 18-year-old was allegedly fatally stabbed in Canberra

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Australia

Apex gang member’s shocking crime spree after he was saved from deportation 

Published

on

By

apex gang members shocking crime spree after he was saved from deportation

A member of the notorious Apex gang who was saved from deportation three years ago has gone on to commit a violent crime spree.

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal overturned the government’s decision to send Chad Samupo back to his native New Zealand, despite knowing he had a long history of violence.

It was argued that the 23-year-old ‘was or may be a risk to the health, safety or good order of the Australian community’.

But after being allowed to stay in Australia, Samupo went on to commit assault, robbery and property damage offences.

A member of the notorious Apex gang who was saved from deportation three years ago has gone on to commit a violent crime spree. An Apex gang member is pictured

A member of the notorious Apex gang who was saved from deportation three years ago has gone on to commit a violent crime spree. An Apex gang member is pictured

A member of the notorious Apex gang who was saved from deportation three years ago has gone on to commit a violent crime spree. An Apex gang member is pictured

He pleaded guilty and is due to be sentenced in the Melbourne’ Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.  

Samupo’s lengthy criminal record includes charges of assaulting police, resisting arrest, assaulting an emergency worker and illegal drug use and possession, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Samupo had his visa cancelled in February 2017 by a delegate of then Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.

The Apex gang member successfully appealed to the AAT while in detention awaiting deportation.   

AAT Deputy President Jan Redfern and AAT part-time member Alison Murphy decided not to cancel Samupo’s visa. 

The tribunal let Samupo stay in Australia despite Victoria Police’s anti-gangs squad giving evidence that he was a member of Apex – a predominantly Sudanese group from Dandenong who were responsible for the 2016 Moomba riots.  

Victoria Police also told the AAT that Samupo held a violent and aggressive leading role in the gang’s offences.

The Apex gang member successfully appealed to the AAT while in detention awaiting deportation. An Apex gang member is pictured

The Apex gang member successfully appealed to the AAT while in detention awaiting deportation. An Apex gang member is pictured

The Apex gang member successfully appealed to the AAT while in detention awaiting deportation. An Apex gang member is pictured

The AAT members’ reasons for saving the Apex gang member from deportation included not wanting to separate him from his Melbourne-based family as well as his mental condition.

‘We accept his behaviour remains of concern and he remains at risk of re-offending, particularly in view of his serious mental illness,’ the AAT’s 2017 written decision said.

‘All these matters weigh towards cancellation of his visa.

‘Weighing against these matters are the applicant’s long residence in this country, the fact his immediate family all reside here and the hardship that will be caused to the applicant and his family if his visa is cancelled.’

Who are the Apex Gang?

The group originated in Dandenong, about 30km south-east of Melbourne’s CBD, in early 2016

The members are primarily from a Sudanese refugee background

They are responsible for the Moomba riots in March 2016

They rose to prominence after the Moomba Festival riots in March 2016

The parents of some members are so worried they’re sending their children back to Africa

<!—->Advertisement

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.