Connect with us

Australia

Premier Daniel Andrews could be kicked out of office over pandemic response

Published

on

premier daniel andrews could be kicked out of office over pandemic response

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews faces a motion of no confidence in parliament over his handling of COVID-19.

The motion is expected to be tabled in the state’s lower house on Thursday.

‘I will be moving a motion of no confidence in this premier. Victorians have had enough,’ Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said.

The premier brusquely dismissed the move when asked in his daily media conference.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured on Thursday) faces a motion of no confidence in parliament over his handling of COVID-19

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured on Thursday) faces a motion of no confidence in parliament over his handling of COVID-19

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured on Thursday) faces a motion of no confidence in parliament over his handling of COVID-19

‘Cheap politics is no vaccine against this virus, and that is all I will say about him and that,’ Mr Andrews said.

Victoria has been hard hit by coronavirus, leading the nation’s case numbers and deaths.

Victoria recorded another eight deaths on Thursday, taking the state’s death toll to 745 and the national figure to 832. 

Most of the deaths can be linked to Victoria’s bungled hotel quarantine system, which is under investigation.

Strict lockdown measures designed to stem the spread of the virus have resulted in business closures and job losses.

‘This is a government that has proven itself to be incompetent, dishonest and with no vision or hope for Victorians,’ Liberal-Nationals leader Mr O’Brien said.

‘By moving a motion of no confidence, every member of the legislative assembly will have to make a decision – are they going to vote to protect Daniel Andrews’ job? Or are they going to vote to protect Victorians’ jobs?’

Liberal MP James Newbury called Mr Andrews ‘Premier Pinocchio’ and claimed the Victorian leader had been caught in a lie.  

‘For weeks, Daniel Andrews has claimed the federal government didn’t offer Australian Defence Force support to run Victoria’s hotel quarantine,’ he said.

‘Despite irrefutable proof, the premier is still denying the offer was made. Premier Pinocchio is a massive fibber with a very long nose’. 

Labor has a clear majority in the lower house and Mr O’Brien’s motion is not expected to pass.

It will be tabled on Thursday and debated next month.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Australia

South Australian fisherman Tony Higgins missing again after disappearing two weeks ago

Published

on

By

south australian fisherman tony higgins missing again after disappearing two weeks ago

A fisherman who sparked a statewide four-day search after he went missing on his boat has disappeared again just two weeks later.

Tony Higgins, 57, was moored near Granite Island off Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide, when he made a distress call to police around 5am on Tuesday.

Mr Higgins said his wooden fishing boat Margrel was ‘taking on water’ and police have now launched another search operation with a rescue helicopter and Sea Rescue volunteers.

The fisherman and his friend Derek Robinson, 48, sparked South Australia’s largest maritime search in history when they went missing while travelling from South Australia’s Coffin Bay near Port Lincoln to Goolwa on September 3.

Tony Higgins, 57, was moored near Granite Island off Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide when he made a distress call to police around 5am on Tuesday

Tony Higgins, 57, was moored near Granite Island off Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide when he made a distress call to police around 5am on Tuesday

Tony Higgins, 57, was moored near Granite Island off Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide when he made a distress call to police around 5am on Tuesday

The duo were a day into their trip on the 10-metre wooden-hulled fishing boat when they started to experience engine trouble.

They were eventually found on September 10, just hours after the search operation was called off.

Despite missing for nearly a week, Mr Higgins claimed he had no idea about the rescue mission.

‘We didn’t even know anyone was looking for us,’ Mr Higgins earlier told Seven News.

‘I didn’t ask to come get rescued. I knew exactly where we were.’

Mr Higgins had been with Derek Robinson when their boat Margrel (right) suffered engine trouble earlier this month and the pair were missing for almost a week

Mr Higgins had been with Derek Robinson when their boat Margrel (right) suffered engine trouble earlier this month and the pair were missing for almost a week

Mr Higgins had been with Derek Robinson when their boat Margrel (right) suffered engine trouble earlier this month and the pair were missing for almost a week

Derek Robinson pictured after reuniting with family on September 10 after a massive four-day search for the two fishermen was called off

Derek Robinson pictured after reuniting with family on September 10 after a massive four-day search for the two fishermen was called off

Derek Robinson pictured after reuniting with family on September 10 after a massive four-day search for the two fishermen was called off

He believes the trouble was sparked when one of the propeller’s three blades broke off after hitting a turtle or submerged log.

The massive search operation – covering more than 120,000 square kilometres – involved police, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and members of the Royal Australian Air Force.

It also involved Kangaroo Island and Volunteer Marine Rescue members.

Crews spent days searching an area larger than Tasmania covered in an attempt to find the men.

Fears were raised when the men were not located after several weather warnings and days of treacherous conditions.

Mr Higgins claimed he had no idea about the search party when he went missing earlier this month

Mr Higgins claimed he had no idea about the search party when he went missing earlier this month

Mr Higgins claimed he had no idea about the search party when he went missing earlier this month

Fears were raised over the two men when they went missing on September 3 due to the rough conditions at sea (pictured Derek Robinson returns to shore)

Fears were raised over the two men when they went missing on September 3 due to the rough conditions at sea (pictured Derek Robinson returns to shore)

Fears were raised over the two men when they went missing on September 3 due to the rough conditions at sea (pictured Derek Robinson returns to shore)

The men were headed to Goolwa when they went missing earlier this month, from Coffin Bay near Port Lincoln, they told a friend they would try make it to Kangaroo Island after their engine failed but ended up in Salt Creek

The men were headed to Goolwa when they went missing earlier this month, from Coffin Bay near Port Lincoln, they told a friend they would try make it to Kangaroo Island after their engine failed but ended up in Salt Creek

The men were headed to Goolwa when they went missing earlier this month, from Coffin Bay near Port Lincoln, they told a friend they would try make it to Kangaroo Island after their engine failed but ended up in Salt Creek

Mr Higgins was fined $1,000 for having an out-of-date Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), as well as old flares on board and not having an appropriate recreational boat licence. 

Gary Juleff, a freelance video journalist told the ABC when police arrived on Tuesday morning following the distress call, the boat had vanished.

‘When I got down here, nobody could see the boat,’ Mr Juleff said.

‘(Police) tried to phone him back – no answer – so the answer to this question is ‘nobody knows’.

‘They said there’s nothing out there and we don’t know where he is.’ 

Over the weekend, Mr Higgins found himself in trouble again when the Margrel ran aground on a sandbar in Victor Harbor.

The rescue mission is ongoing. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

Sylvester Stallone’s mother Jackie ‘passes away at the age of 98’

Published

on

By

sylvester stallones mother jackie passes away at the age of 98

Sylvester Stallone’s mother Jackie has passed away at the age of 98.

Though the circumstances surrounding the famed astrologer’s death remain unknown, sources close to the Stallone family told TMZ that she just ‘recently passed away.’

Jackie leaves behind Sylvester, 74, as well as son Frank, 70, whom she shared with late ex husband Frank Stallone Sr. 

She was also mother to late actress Toni D’Alto, who passed away at the age of 48 after a lengthy cancer battle in 2012. She shared Toni with ex husband Anthony Filiti. 

RIP: Sylvester Stallone's mother Jackie has passed away at the age of 98; Jackie and Sylvester pictured

RIP: Sylvester Stallone's mother Jackie has passed away at the age of 98; Jackie and Sylvester pictured

RIP: Sylvester Stallone’s mother Jackie has passed away at the age of 98; Jackie and Sylvester pictured

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

Drug-crazed dad Michael Rawson could walk from jail in just 16 months

Published

on

By

drug crazed dad michael rawson could walk from jail in just 16 months

A drug fiend caught on camera attempting to kidnap a child from his father’s arms could walk free from from jail in a little over a year. 

Footage of Michael Paul Rawson, 41, attempting to kidnap the little boy shocked Australia after it was revealed by Daily Mail Australia last week. 

On Tuesday, Rawson was sentenced in the County Court of Victoria to four-and-a-half years in jail with a non-parole period of just two years and three months.  

He has already served 302 days behind bars. 

Michael Paul Rawson, 41, was deluded by a cocktail of meth and GHB when he violently tried to wrestle a little boy away from his father as they walked their dog

Michael Paul Rawson, 41, was deluded by a cocktail of meth and GHB when he violently tried to wrestle a little boy away from his father as they walked their dog

Michael Paul Rawson, 41, was deluded by a cocktail of meth and GHB when he violently tried to wrestle a little boy away from his father as they walked their dog

In sentencing the father of five, Judge Felicity Hampel said she accepted Rawson had been in a ‘transient drug induced psychotic state’ when he grabbed the boy and bashed his father. 

Rawson had been on a methylamphetamine bender for days which was topped-off by a squirt of gamma hydroxybutyrate he claimed to have found on a park bench. 

Judge Hampel said while a defence of mental impairment could not be used by Rawson to wriggle out of accepting responsibility for his actions, she said the bender had reduced his moral culpability. 

The judge accepted Rawson’s behaviour had been ‘spontaneous’ and ‘random’ while describing his actions as ‘every parent’s nightmare’. 

Rawson had just stepped out of a taxi from a police station on bail for drug charges as the boy and his father were walking their dog.

As the dad helped his son down from a seat outside Preston Library in Melbourne about 8.30pm on November 25, 2019, Rawson ran over and grabbed the child.

Rawson, a truck driver, had supposedly believed the toddler was his own estranged daughter.

The father, who cannot be named for legal reasons, wrestled his son back but was dragged into nearby bushes with Rawson’s arm around this neck.

He was dragged to the ground where he curled up around his son to shield him as the drug-crazed attacker repeatedly punched him in the back of the head. 

Julio Alberto ran over to help but was unable to stop Rawson pulling the child away and making a run for it down Gower Street.

Mr Alberto gave chase, grabbing him around the waist, and with the help of the boy’s father managed to wrestle the child back, along with Rawson’s black dressing gown.

A struggle ensued between Rawson – now wearing just a Hawthorn AFL jumper, grey pants, and bare feet – and two witnesses as the father comforted his child. 

Rawson took off and hid in a front garden, where he was cornered by police and charged at them when they tried to arrest him.

The father suffered a cut lip and bruises to his eye and the back of his head while his son was traumatised and screaming.

Rawson pleaded guilty to attempted kidnapping, assault, causing reckless injury, resisting arrest, and assaulting an emergency officer

Rawson pleaded guilty to attempted kidnapping, assault, causing reckless injury, resisting arrest, and assaulting an emergency officer

Rawson pleaded guilty to attempted kidnapping, assault, causing reckless injury, resisting arrest, and assaulting an emergency officer

33197162 8733401 image m 53 1600158472616

33197162 8733401 image m 53 1600158472616

The father has a conversation on the phone while his son plays in a garden outside the Preston Public Library in Melbourne

Judge Hampel described CCTV footage of the attack as ‘harrowing’. 

She said Rawson’s victims had now lost their sense of safety in their own community. 

While Judge Hampel said Rawson’s drug binge may have earned him some time off jail for the attempted kidnapping, he could not rely upon it for what happened next.  

After the attack, Rawson was taken to the Austin Hospital where he tried to escape from his bed while ‘screaming and thrashing’.

He grabbed a police officer’s wrist and squeezed and twisted it until he was restrained and strapped to the bed.

Rawson pleaded guilty to attempted kidnapping, assault, reckless causing injury, resisting arrest, and assaulting an emergency officer.

Judge Hampel suggested her sentence ought send a message to the community that the court’s would punish offenders who dared to behave like Rawson. 

The maximum sentence for attempted kidnapping is 20 years, with the other assault charges carrying five year sentences each.

‘Seeing the aftermath …  the tenderness of which the father held and stroked his child after you ran away just shows how terrified he must have been and why it’s so important that the sentence reflect the denounciation and condemnation and behaviour,’ Judge Hampel said.   

Rawson runs over to the father as son as the dad helps the toddler down from the bench

Rawson runs over to the father as son as the dad helps the toddler down from the bench

Rawson runs over to the father as son as the dad helps the toddler down from the bench

Rawson grabs the child and his father desperately wrestles with him to prevent the toddler being taken away

Rawson grabs the child and his father desperately wrestles with him to prevent the toddler being taken away

Rawson grabs the child and his father desperately wrestles with him to prevent the toddler being taken away

The court heard Rawson had broken up with the mother of his five children in 2015 after an argument about housekeeping, after which his ‘world came crumbling down’.

His barrister earlier told the court he turned to the deadly drug ice to ‘increase his motivation’.

Rawson had delved into conspiracy theories and ‘constantly’ bombarded his estranged partner with screenshots of anti-vaxxer material linking vaccines to autism.

His Facebook page is littered with hundreds of bizarre images, memes, and links to conspiracy theory material.

He was dragged to the ground where he curled up around his son to shield him as the drug-crazed attacker repeatedly punched him in the back of the head

He was dragged to the ground where he curled up around his son to shield him as the drug-crazed attacker repeatedly punched him in the back of the head

 He was dragged to the ground where he curled up around his son to shield him as the drug-crazed attacker repeatedly punched him in the back of the head

A struggle ensued between Rawson - now wearing just a Hawthorn AFL jumper, grey pants, and bare feet - and two witnesses as the father comforted his child

A struggle ensued between Rawson - now wearing just a Hawthorn AFL jumper, grey pants, and bare feet - and two witnesses as the father comforted his child

A struggle ensued between Rawson – now wearing just a Hawthorn AFL jumper, grey pants, and bare feet – and two witnesses as the father comforted his child

The court heard Rawson repeatedly breached intervention orders against his ex-partner and had thumbed his nose at previous community based orders by breaching those too. 

He had prior convictions for possessing cannabis and for performing a burnout on his own wedding day. 

Rawson had not been allowed to see his children for some time before he tried to snatch the boy whom he thought was his daughter. 

Judge Hampel told the court she took into account Rawson’s previous good behaviour and work history in addition to his early plea and remorse. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.