Connect with us

Australia

Twist in case of Shaun Mate accused of trying to kill his daughter in Adelaide

Published

on

twist in case of shaun mate accused of trying to kill his daughter in adelaide

A man who allegedly tried to take his own life and the life of his three-year-old daughter was told his marriage was over just hours earlier, a court has heard.

Shaun Mate, 43, was found unconscious alongside his daughter at the family’s Eden Hills home, in Adelaide‘s south-east on the night of July 16. 

Police were called following a frantic Triple-0 call from Mate’s distraught wife Cassandra. 

She told the operator she found him and their three-year-old daughter unconscious in a bedroom.

Shaun Mate, 43, was found unconscious alongside his daughter at the family's Eden Hills home, in Adelaide's south-east on the night of July 16

Shaun Mate, 43, was found unconscious alongside his daughter at the family's Eden Hills home, in Adelaide's south-east on the night of July 16

Shaun Mate, 43, was found unconscious alongside his daughter at the family’s Eden Hills home, in Adelaide’s south-east on the night of July 16 

In Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday, prosecutors said Cassandra (left) had told Mate earlier that day that she was leaving him

In Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday, prosecutors said Cassandra (left) had told Mate earlier that day that she was leaving him

In Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday, prosecutors said Cassandra (left) had told Mate earlier that day that she was leaving him

Shaun Mate (pictured with paramedics on a stretcher) was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious at the family's Eden Hills home, in Adelaide's south-east on the night of July 16

Shaun Mate (pictured with paramedics on a stretcher) was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious at the family's Eden Hills home, in Adelaide's south-east on the night of July 16

Shaun Mate (pictured with paramedics on a stretcher) was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious at the family’s Eden Hills home, in Adelaide’s south-east on the night of July 16

In Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday, prosecutors said Cassandra had told Mate she was leaving him just hours before the attempted ‘murder-suicide’. 

The court heard police had been called to the family’s home just hours before the incident following a disturbance. 

Police suggested the couple sleep in separate bedrooms, but when they were satisfied there was no risk of harm they left without intervention, 7News reported. 

The court also heard police found ‘suicide notes’ allegedly proving Mate’s plan to kill his daughter, The Adelaide Advertiser reported.   

Mate and the toddler were treated at the scene before they were transferred to Flinders Medical Centre in a critical condition. 

Mate’s wife and their six-month-old daughter were unharmed. 

The girl was later transferred to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital and placed in a induced coma, with her mother remaining at her bedside. 

Police allege the IT specialist had his wife ‘under surveillance’ by bugging her phone and emails.

It’s further alleged he sent ‘unwanted gifts of a personal nature’ to one of his wife’s ‘closest friends’. 

The magistrate rejected Mate’s bail application on Wednesday for the protection of his wife and their two daughters. 

Police allege the IT specialist had been tracking his wife's phone and emails, and bought gas bottles and plastic bags two days before the alleged incident

Police allege the IT specialist had been tracking his wife's phone and emails, and bought gas bottles and plastic bags two days before the alleged incident

Police allege the IT specialist had been tracking his wife’s phone and emails, and bought gas bottles and plastic bags two days before the alleged incident 

‘No amount of bail will make them feel safe. The thought of him getting bail frightens her no end, the prosecutor told the court.

Mate’s lawyer Stephen White said his client was not trying to kill his daughter. 

Outside court, Mate’s father said his son would never hurt his family.

‘[He] wouldn’t touch her in a fit,’ he told reporters. ‘I’m not going to say anything else.’ 

Mate will face court again in January.

  •  For confidential support, call LIFELINE: 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au . Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467

Powered by: Daily Mail

Australia

Schoolgirl, 17, FAKED brain tumour to con pop stars and their fans out of up to £400,000

Published

on

By

schoolgirl 17 faked brain tumour to con pop stars and their fans out of up to 400000

A 17-year-old girl faked a brain tumour to found a charity she used to con pop stars out of hundreds of thousands of pounds and fund her luxury trips to Disneyland.

Megan Bhari founded Believe in Magic to help ‘other’ terminally ill children in 2012 before she died in 2018 at age 23.

The charity, backed by One Direction as well as Taylor Swift, Michael Bublé and Ed Sheeran, was dissolved last week after a Charity Commission investigation found sums of nearly £400,000 missing in its books.

And an inquest recorded Miss Bhari’s death as caused by heart failure related to her fatty liver, with no mention of a brain tumour on her medical records.

Megan Bhari, 17, who founded shamed charity Believe in Magic backed by One Direction star Louis Tomlinson, faked a brain tumour to fund lavish trips to Disneyland, it has emerged

Megan Bhari, 17, who founded shamed charity Believe in Magic backed by One Direction star Louis Tomlinson, faked a brain tumour to fund lavish trips to Disneyland, it has emerged

Megan Bhari, 17, who founded shamed charity Believe in Magic backed by One Direction star Louis Tomlinson, faked a brain tumour to fund lavish trips to Disneyland, it has emerged

Parents of other children with cancer became concerned about her Ms Bhari’s accounts of her illness and started to investigate her before her death.

Joanne Ashcroft, from Wigan, who met her at a charity event for sick children with her son Corey, noticed fundraising appeals for her treatment lacked detail.

She told The Times: ‘I spoke to other oncology parents close to me who felt the same.

 ‘Our own children had been through the most horrific disease and treatments imaginable, there was just something in the words that didn’t ring true.’

Concerned parents found out Ms Bhari had been staying at Walt Disney World in Florida after traveling to the US on cruise liners on planned trips for treatment

Concerned parents found out Ms Bhari had been staying at Walt Disney World in Florida after traveling to the US on cruise liners on planned trips for treatment

Megan Bhari founded Believe in Magic to help other terminally ill children in 2012 before she died in 2018 at age 23

Megan Bhari founded Believe in Magic to help other terminally ill children in 2012 before she died in 2018 at age 23

Concerned parents found out Ms Bhari had been staying at Walt Disney World in Florida after traveling to the US on cruise liners on planned trips for treatment

They hired a private investigator, who found out Ms Bhari had been staying at Walt Disney World in Florida after traveling to the US on cruise liners on planned trips for treatment.

The investigator also took photos of Ms Bhari in November 2017 returning to Southampton from the US after a post on social media said she had travelled there for treatment.

She was pictured smiling and pushing a trolley with suitcases despite the charity saying her body had ‘been through more than any should ever have to and is so weak’ at the time.

In the same year, the Charity Commission launched an investigation into Believe in Magic, freezing its accounts following ‘multiple complaints’.

Charity Commission launched an investigation into Believe in Magic, freezing its accounts following 'multiple complaints' in 2017

Charity Commission launched an investigation into Believe in Magic, freezing its accounts following 'multiple complaints' in 2017

Charity Commission launched an investigation into Believe in Magic, freezing its accounts following ‘multiple complaints’ in 2017

Investigators found cash withdrawals of £133,000 had been made in the year to November 2015 and £156,000 was taken out the following year. 

Between December 2015 and May 2016, £108,786 was transferred to a trustee and the charity was shut down last week, with remaining funds being given to to the Round Table Children’s Wish. 

Ms Bhari’s mother Jean O’Brien, 66, one of the charity’s trustees, also took a voluntary guarantee not to be a trustee or hold a senior management position at a charity for five years.

Police investigated but said that there was insufficient evidence to take the matter further. 

Investigators found £133,000 had been withdrawn from the charity in the year to November 2015 and £156,000 was taken out the following year

Investigators found £133,000 had been withdrawn from the charity in the year to November 2015 and £156,000 was taken out the following year

Investigators found £133,000 had been withdrawn from the charity in the year to November 2015 and £156,000 was taken out the following year

The charity’s ambassadors were One Direction and Louis Tomlinson personally donated £2million to the fund, according to reports.

David Cameron also tweeted his backing to the charity in 2015 and rewarded it with a special Downing Street award.

Last week, Ms O’Brien addressed the Charity’s Commission’s decision to close it and allegations her daughter had faked her illness.

She wrote on Facebook: ‘No one on this earth could have loved Meg more than me. I did everything I could to make her life as wonderful, as happy and as comfortable as it could be. 

‘The charity grew so quickly and although Meg and I worked tirelessly I take full responsibility for the less than perfect admin and record keeping.

‘I am not ashamed to say I have been driven to the brink by these completely untrue and devastating allegations.’ 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

White Island eruption survivor Stephanie Browitt shares images of injuries as she details recovery

Published

on

By

white island eruption survivor stephanie browitt shares images of injuries as she details recovery
Stephanie Browitt suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body

Stephanie Browitt suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body

Stephanie Browitt suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body

A White Island volcano survivor has shared images of the horrific burns to her back that she suffered in the eruption that killed her father and sister.

Stephanie Browitt suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body in the volcano eruption near Whakatane, New Zealand, on December 9 last year.

The 24-year-old from Melbourne had her fingers amputated and wears a full face mask to protect her healing skin.

In an Instagram post on Saturday, Ms Browitt put her insecurities to the side in a brave attempt to share her experience with disfiguring injuries.

‘For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,’ she wrote.  

Three photographs, taken in March, April and August, show red and raw scar tissue covering her back.

In the post, Ms Browitt highlighted the improvements in her skin in the months following the disaster. 

‘Comparing these photos and how much my back has changed over time absolutely amazes me.’

‘How the skin heals is astounding and seeing the changes first hand is just so interesting to me.’

Ms Browitt put her insecurities to the side in a brave attempt to share her experience with disfiguring injuries (pictured: her healing back in March 2020)

Ms Browitt put her insecurities to the side in a brave attempt to share her experience with disfiguring injuries (pictured: her healing back in March 2020)

'For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,' she wrote. Pictured: Ms Browitt's back in April

'For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,' she wrote. Pictured: Ms Browitt's back in April

Ms Browitt put her insecurities to the side in a brave attempt to share her experience with disfiguring injuries (pictured: her healing back in March 2020)

'For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,' she wrote. Pictured: Her back in August

'For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,' she wrote. Pictured: Her back in August

‘For me personally, my back is one of the areas I struggle to feel comfortable with as the healing process continues,’ she wrote. Pictured: Her back in August

Though her skin is slowly recovering, she explained that bending down can be difficult because the scars on her back are tight.

‘But I’m constantly stretching and setting new goals for myself. I just have to keep pushing to be my very best self.’ 

The 24-year-old has been detailing her rehabilitation on social media to share an insight into the daily life of a burns survivor.  

Videos on TikTok and Youtube reveal her daily routine, which includes moisturising, stretching out her new skin and doing exercise.

Earlier in September, she uploaded three pictures of her legs dating back to April 27, highlighting the incredible transformation her body has gone through in her healing. 

‘My skin colour is improving amazingly and it’s so exciting to see,’ Ms Browitt posted.

Ms Browitt is among 26 survivors of the blast and now wears a face mask to protect her skin

Ms Browitt is among 26 survivors of the blast and now wears a face mask to protect her skin

Ms Browitt is among 26 survivors of the blast and now wears a face mask to protect her skin

Pictured: Ms Browitt before the accident

Pictured: Ms Browitt before the accident

Pictured: MS Browitt after the accident

Pictured: MS Browitt after the accident

The 24-year-old has been detailing her rehabilitation on social media to share an insight into the daily life of a burns survivor (pictured: Ms Browitt before the accident, and after)

‘I’m also starting to find areas of my legs that have returned back to being soft and supple like skin should feel.

‘Any sight of improvement is always a great boost of motivation for me to keep going and to stay strong and hopeful.

‘I know that this journey has definitely made feel so grateful towards my body and what it can do.’

Her 21-year-old sister Krystal and father Paul were among 16 Australians who died in the blast.  

When first responders arrived on the scene after the explosion, Mr Browitt urged them to save his girls before coming back for him. 

Krystal was tragically killed in the initial blast, while Mr Browitt died later in hospital.

Ms Browitt took to Instagram to show a recovery sequence of her legs from the burns. Photo from 27 April

Ms Browitt took to Instagram to show a recovery sequence of her legs from the burns. Photo from 27 April

Ms Browitt took to Instagram to show a recovery sequence of her legs from the burns. Photo from 27 April

Ms Browitt's skin colour on her legs is shown returning to form in a picture dated 15 July

Ms Browitt's skin colour on her legs is shown returning to form in a picture dated 15 July

Ms Browitt’s skin colour on her legs is shown returning to form in a picture dated 15 July

Ms Browitt spent nine months painstakingly rebuilding her life and recovering in hospital.

She previously said she keeps wishing she could turn back time and at least have looked for her sister and father and sat with them during the aftermath.

‘We’re just picking up the pieces of our new lives and doing the best that we can do,’ she said.

‘I just want to thank everyone for your kindness, compassion and constant support. You guys manage to put a smile on my face, even if just for a second.’

Before the tragedy, more than 18,000 tourists would visit the White Island volcano each year.

Stephanie (left with sister Krystal right) tragically lost her sister in the disaster and her father Paul

Stephanie (left with sister Krystal right) tragically lost her sister in the disaster and her father Paul

Stephanie (left with sister Krystal right) tragically lost her sister in the disaster and her father Paul

Ms Browitt (pictured with her father Paul) said despite the time that has passed, she remembers the eruption like it was 'just yesterday'

Ms Browitt (pictured with her father Paul) said despite the time that has passed, she remembers the eruption like it was 'just yesterday'

Ms Browitt (pictured with her father Paul) said despite the time that has passed, she remembers the eruption like it was ‘just yesterday’

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Australia

Missing boy, 3, who vanished outside his home is reunited with his family

Published

on

By

missing boy 3 who vanished outside his home is reunited with his family

A three-year-old boy has been found safe and sound after a desperate search in Western Australia.

James O’Reilly had gone vanished from his house at about 7:30am on Saturday at Karli Rise in Yallingup, south of Perth.

A frantic police continued throughout the day for the blonde haired, blue eyed toddler who last seen wearing white ‘Spiderman’ pyjamas.     

Eventually it was his grandfather who located the boy asleep in dense bushland kilometres from the house.   

Police are searched an area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy went missing

Police are searched an area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy went missing

Police are searched an area around Karli Rise, Yallingup, in Western Australia after the boy went missing

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white 'Spiderman' pyjamas

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white 'Spiderman' pyjamas

The boy is described as fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes and he is wearing white ‘Spiderman’ pyjamas 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.