Connect with us

Latest Stories

Sir Lindsay Hoyle spends £7,500 replacing John Bercow’s ‘worn-out’ bed in the Palace of Westminster 

Published

on

sir lindsay hoyle spends 7500 replacing john bercows worn out bed in the palace of westminster

The Commons Speaker has spent more than £7,500 of taxpayers’ cash on new bedding and mattresses for his home in the Palace of Westminster.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, who replaced controversial John Bercow as Speaker last year, has spent a total of £12,636 doing up the four-bedroom flat, figures reveal. 

This included £7,523 on mattresses and bedding which ‘was required as these had become damaged and/or worn and no longer deemed suitable for new occupants’, according to a note explaining the expense.

A total of £2,600 went on cleaning and polishing furniture while another £2,292 was spent on flooring, The Guardian reported. 

31571406 0 image a 33 1596583525263

31571406 0 image a 33 1596583525263

Sir Lindsay Hoyle (pictured on July 15), who replaced controversial John Bercow as Speaker last year, has spent a total of £12,636 doing up the four-bedroom flat, figures reveal

The work took place last November and December. In the nine months since Sir Lindsay became Speaker £117,700 has been spent on the residence. 

Most of this went on asbestos removal to support fire safety work, which cost £89,500.

Tory Mr Bercow spent £20,000 when he moved into the residence in 2009 to ‘make the apartment child-friendly’ for his young family. 

Sir Hoyle on July 22. A total of £2,600 went on cleaning and polishing furniture while another £2,292 was spent on flooring, The Guardian reported

Sir Hoyle on July 22. A total of £2,600 went on cleaning and polishing furniture while another £2,292 was spent on flooring, The Guardian reported

Sir Hoyle on July 22. A total of £2,600 went on cleaning and polishing furniture while another £2,292 was spent on flooring, The Guardian reported

Sir Lindsay, 63, who has been Labour MP for Chorley since 1997, became the 158th Speaker in November. 

A spokesman said last night: ‘After ten years of use by the previous post holder and his family – who used it as their primary home – the Speaker’s residence needs renovating, updating and fire safety improvement work to take place.’

He stressed the Palace of Westminster was Grade I-listed, so changes ‘need to be in keeping with the historic nature’.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Latest Stories

Sri Lanka sends back 21 containers of ‘recycling’ to UK because it was full of rotting MEDICAL WASTE

Published

on

By

sri lanka sends back 21 containers of recycling to uk because it was full of rotting medical waste

Sri Lanka has shipped 21 containers full of ‘recycling’ back to the UK because it was full of rotting medical waste.

The Sri Lankan government said container-loads of waste were brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material.

Previous illegally imported containers had included rags, bandages and body parts from mortuaries, according to officials.

The 21 containers (pictured) were holding up to 260 tonnes of rubbish were brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material

The 21 containers (pictured) were holding up to 260 tonnes of rubbish were brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material

The 21 containers (pictured) were holding up to 260 tonnes of rubbish were brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material

The type of hospital waste was not revealed, but they departed Sri Lanka on Saturday according to customs.

The 21 containers were holding up to 260 tonnes of rubbish and had first arrived by ship in the capital Colombo’s main port between September 2017 and March 2018. 

The containers were meant to carry used mattresses, carpets and rugs, but had also contained hospital waste, officials said.

Customs spokesman Sunil Jayaratne said: ‘The shipper had agreed to take back these 21 containers.

‘We are working to secure compensation from those responsible for getting the containers into the country.’

Another 242 containers from Britain remain abandoned at the same port and at a free trade zone outside the capital.

The illegal waste first arrived by ship in the capital Colombo's main port (pictured) between September 2017 and March 2018

The illegal waste first arrived by ship in the capital Colombo's main port (pictured) between September 2017 and March 2018

The illegal waste first arrived by ship in the capital Colombo’s main port (pictured) between September 2017 and March 2018

The government said they were carrying illegal garbage in violation of international law and also arrived between 2017 and 2018.  

The government is currently engaged in legal action against the shipper to have the 242 containers removed from the country.

A Sri Lankan investigation last year into nearly 3,000 tonnes of illegally imported hazardous waste found the importer had reshipped about 180 tonnes to India and Dubai.

In the past two years several Asian countries have turned back container-loads of waste from foreign shores.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

Wedding venue is fined £10,000 for hosting a 120-person reception

Published

on

By

wedding venue is fined 10000 for hosting a 120 person reception

An events venue has been fined £10,000 after police found 120 revellers at a wedding party. 

Police were called to the venue at 4.45pm on Friday following reports of a wedding reception taking place at Stafford Park in Telford, Shropshire. 

The scenes came nearly a week after the Prime Minister set out a raft of measures designed to clampdown on the coronavirus, including slashing the number allowed to gather at nuptials to 15.    

Chief Supt Paul Moxley, of West Mercia Police, said: ‘The majority of our communities are adhering to the new COVID legislation and laws and are acting very responsibly.

The events venue in Stafford Park in Telford, Shropshire, has been fined £10,000 after police found 120 revellers celebrating at a wedding reception. (Stock image)

The events venue in Stafford Park in Telford, Shropshire, has been fined £10,000 after police found 120 revellers celebrating at a wedding reception. (Stock image)

The events venue in Stafford Park in Telford, Shropshire, has been fined £10,000 after police found 120 revellers celebrating at a wedding reception. (Stock image)

‘It is therefore unacceptable that a minority of people are continuing to disregard the rules and as a consequence a £10,000 fine was given to the organisation hosting the wedding party in Telford today.

‘It is believed that around 120 people were attending the event in Stafford Park, all of whom left the venue when we attended and spoke to them.

‘Therefore no fixed penalty notices were given to the guests.

‘We are taking a robust enforcement approach towards those who choose to intentionally break the law and in order to help suppress the virus and protect everyone, where people are clearly breaching the regulations they will be given a fine.’

Last Thursday police shut down Adelina’s Bar and Kitchen in Swansea after dozens of guests were found crammed inside the venue for a wedding reception. 

A spokeswoman for South Wales Police said: ‘South Wales Police responded to a report of a gathering at the Adelina’s Bar and Kitchen at approximately 7.10pm on Thursday.

‘Upon arrival officers found large number of people in attendance at a private function.

‘The function was shut down and all attendees ordered to leave.

West Mercia Police said the venue was fined £10,000 for breaching the coronavirus restrictions

West Mercia Police said the venue was fined £10,000 for breaching the coronavirus restrictions

West Mercia Police said the venue was fined £10,000 for breaching the coronavirus restrictions

It comes early a week after the Prime Minister set out a raft of measures designed to clampdown on the coronavirus. (Stock image)

It comes early a week after the Prime Minister set out a raft of measures designed to clampdown on the coronavirus. (Stock image)

It comes early a week after the Prime Minister set out a raft of measures designed to clampdown on the coronavirus. (Stock image)

‘Further enforcement action by South Wales Police and Swansea Council is currently being considered.’    

A spokesperson for Adelina’s Bar and Kitchen told The Sun they had only taken a booking for 25 people for the wedding reception .

They claimed to be unaware of bookings taken in other parts of the restaurant for the same party. 

In August, police also shut down a wedding reception at Waheed’s Buffet and Banqueting Hall in Blackburn after more than 100 people gathered to celebrate a local lockdown-breaching wedding reception.   

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

Parents of student,22, who vanished 40-years ago fighting to change death certificate

Published

on

By

parents of student22 who vanished 40 years ago fighting to change death certificate

The elderly parents of a student who vanished nearly 40 years ago say they are ‘living’ to change her death certificate to state that she was murdered. 

Art student Jessie Earl was just 22 when she disappeared from her university home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, in May 1980. 

Nine years later, Jessie’s incomplete skeleton was found in dense scrubland above Beachy Head. Her personal belongings and clothing had been removed – and she was left only with her bra, which had been used to tie up her wrists. 

After her remains were found in 1989, an inquest recorded an open verdict and her parents Valerie, 88, and John, 92, have been fighting to have her her death reclassified ever since.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Val explained they ‘knew’ it was murder as soon as they saw Jessie’s remains, and that their only wish in life is to change the ruling of their her death.  

Art student Jessie Earl (picture) was just 22 when she disappeared from her university home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, in May 1980

Art student Jessie Earl (picture) was just 22 when she disappeared from her university home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, in May 1980

Art student Jessie Earl (picture) was just 22 when she disappeared from her university home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, in May 1980

After her remains were found in 1989, an inquest recorded an open verdict and her parents Valerie, 88, and John, 92, (pictured) have been fighting to have her her death reclassified

After her remains were found in 1989, an inquest recorded an open verdict and her parents Valerie, 88, and John, 92, (pictured) have been fighting to have her her death reclassified

After her remains were found in 1989, an inquest recorded an open verdict and her parents Valerie, 88, and John, 92, (pictured) have been fighting to have her her death reclassified

‘From the moment I saw the death certificate I thought this is not fair to our daughter, said John, ‘I thought we must get it altered — and that is what we have been living for since’.

Jessie was a student at Eastbourne College of Art and Design, and had been spotted coming home from the doctors by an elderly neighbour the afternoon before she went missing. 

After two weeks the police classified Jessie as a missing person, and her parents would spend every moment they had spare searching for their daughter, distributing flyers and contacting various charities. 

Val told the publication how at one point in the search she stood waiting near the A2, after a psychic said her daughter would be travelling on the road in a blue car. 

Jessie was a student at Eastbourne College of Art and Design, and had been spotted coming home from the doctors by an elderly neighbour the afternoon before she went missing in 1980

Jessie was a student at Eastbourne College of Art and Design, and had been spotted coming home from the doctors by an elderly neighbour the afternoon before she went missing in 1980

Jessie was a student at Eastbourne College of Art and Design, and had been spotted coming home from the doctors by an elderly neighbour the afternoon before she went missing in 1980

After the call to tell them that Jessie’s remains had been found, John and Val knew her death was suspicious, with the ring and watch she wore daily missing from her naked body.   

‘As soon as we saw the bra we knew it was murder’, Val said. 

The family, along with police officer-turned-investigator Mark William-Thomas, have speculated that Jessie could have been a victim of serial killer Peter Tobin. 

John, who now lives in Eltham, south east London, said in January he and his wife aren’t interested in revenge, instead they want to see their daughter’s death recorded as a murder ‘before it is too late.’

‘We are not interested in revenge’,  said John, ‘We just want final justice for our daughter. The important thing is for this to happen in our lifetime. We always hoped we hadn’t seen the last of this.

John, who now lives in Eltham, south east London, said in January he and his wife aren't interested in revenge, instead they want to see their daughter's death recorded as a murder 'before it is too late'

John, who now lives in Eltham, south east London, said in January he and his wife aren't interested in revenge, instead they want to see their daughter's death recorded as a murder 'before it is too late'

John, who now lives in Eltham, south east London, said in January he and his wife aren’t interested in revenge, instead they want to see their daughter’s death recorded as a murder ‘before it is too late’

‘The first 11 years after she disappeared were the worst. They were hard, because we had no idea what had happened to her.

‘We always knew were looking at something suspicious, but the uncertainty is very painful. When she was discovered we were relieved.

‘But this last part has been very painful to get over. We want justice and to have the right verdict.

‘You get over the crying in and things like that in 40 years, now were just want justice – but in our lifetime. We will get the right result.’ 

Following criticism of its handling, Sussex Police reopened the case in 2001 and formally recorded Jessie’s death as murder. A fresh file was sent to the Coroner but no new inquest was organised.

Jessie's parents have previously speculated that their daughter was a victim of convicted serial killer Tobin, who was living in the area at the time

Jessie's parents have previously speculated that their daughter was a victim of convicted serial killer Tobin, who was living in the area at the time

Jessie’s parents have previously speculated that their daughter was a victim of convicted serial killer Tobin, who was living in the area at the time

Earlier this year, the family launched a crowdfunder to get the verdict quashed off the back of Jessie’s death being featured in the second season of the Netflix series ‘The Investigator’.  

Jessie’s parents have previously speculated that their daughter was a victim of convicted serial killer Tobin, who was living in the area at the time.

He is serving life sentences for murdering Polish student Angelika Kluk, Scots schoolgirl Vicky Hamilton and Essex teenager Dinah McNicol.

But Sussex Police have previously ruled Tobin out, telling the BBC last year: ‘We have no evidence implicating Peter Tobin or any other named or known individual in the murder of Jessie Earl’. 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.