Connect with us

Main News

Aristocrat and interior designer locked in court battle over refurbishment of Notting Hill mansion

Published

on

aristocrat and interior designer locked in court battle over refurbishment of notting hill mansion

An aristocrat and an interior designer are locked in a bitter court battle over claims the refurbishment of an £11.5 million Notting Hill mansion was botched.

In papers filed in the high court, Lord James Russell claims designer Lucinda Sanford let the project run more than a year past the completion date and more than £1 million over budget.

As reported in the Evening Standard, Lord Russell accuses contractors working for Mrs Sanford’s company – Lucinda Sanford Ltd (LSL) – of putting his family at risk with their ‘exceptionally poor performance’.

Lord and Lady James Russell, pictured here, claim interior designer Lucinda Sanford botched the refurbishment of their £11.5 million home in Notting Hill, London. Ms Sanford claims the couple's indecision was behind the overrunning of the project which started in 2015

Lord and Lady James Russell, pictured here, claim interior designer Lucinda Sanford botched the refurbishment of their £11.5 million home in Notting Hill, London. Ms Sanford claims the couple's indecision was behind the overrunning of the project which started in 2015

Lord and Lady James Russell, pictured here, claim interior designer Lucinda Sanford botched the refurbishment of their £11.5 million home in Notting Hill, London. Ms Sanford claims the couple’s indecision was behind the overrunning of the project which started in 2015

In the court papers, the family’s barrister William Webb argued that the Russells were forced to move in before the project was complete in October 2017.

They claim their son was found with an open bleach bottle and that workmen left dangerous tools lying round the £11.5 million property in Notting Hill.

They also argue workers left the house vulnerable to intruders because they left doors and windows open. 

The papers state that Lord Russell claims he was forced to terminate the contract with LSL, who has worked for the royal family, and hire another company to complete the work. 

Lord James Russell is the third son of the 14th Duke of Bedford whose family seat is Woburn Abbey and hired LSL in the summer of 2015.

However, LSL insists the blame lies with the Russells and their insistence at being involved in “every matter of layout and design, no matter how minor”.

Interior designer Lucinda Sanford claims Lord and Lady Russell's indecision caused issues

Interior designer Lucinda Sanford claims Lord and Lady Russell's indecision caused issues

Interior designer Lucinda Sanford claims Lord and Lady Russell’s indecision caused issues

The court papers detail instances where LSL claim Lord Russell’s wife – former American model Dawn Alexander – sometimes ‘changed her mind’ once jobs had been finished.

The designer also argues that the couple failed to control their children who regularly entered construction areas and even fired Nerf guns at workers, they claim.

LSL’s barrister Isabel Hitching QC said the couple gave contradictory views to workers and had not ‘voiced any major concerns over the standard, quality or time frame of the works’.

Lord Russell had reportedly recommended the company to Lord Russell’s mother, the Dowager, Duchess of Bedford, according to LSL.

The company says that by October 2017 Lord Russell began not paying invoices and terminated the contract in March 2018.

Lord Russell is suing to recover £1 million as well as £376,731 in damaged while LSL is demanding £863,436 in alleged unpaid invoices.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Main News

Joe Biden makes ANOTHER gaffe by saying that 200 million Americans have died of COVID-19

Published

on

By

joe biden makes another gaffe by saying that 200 million americans have died of covid 19

Joe Biden made another gaffe on Sunday when he declared an estimated 200 million Americans had died from COVID-19 – but the death toll is actually just under 200,000.

The Democratic presidential nominee made the remark during a campaign event at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

With just 44 days until the embattled election, both Biden and President Trump have revved up their campaigning to secure votes before Americans go to the polls.

While discussing the devastation the COVID-19 pandemic has leveled against the United States and Trump, Biden accidentally claimed that nearly two-thirds of the country had died.

‘If Donald Trump has his way, the complications from COVID-19, which are well beyond what they should be – it’s estimated that 200 million people have died — probably by the time I finish this talk,’ said Biden.

Although the number of COVID-19 deaths are staggering in the United States -even more so when compared to some other countries – 200 miillion Americans have not died of the virus.

Joe Biden (pictured): 'If Donald Trump has his way, the complications from COVID-19, which are well beyond what they should be - it's estimated that 200 million people have died -- probably by the time I finish this talk'

Joe Biden (pictured): ‘If Donald Trump has his way, the complications from COVID-19, which are well beyond what they should be – it’s estimated that 200 million people have died — probably by the time I finish this talk’

Biden likely meant to say 200,000 deaths, which the country has slowly edged towards for the last week. As of Sunday, deaths have amassed to 199,474 and there are 6.7 million confirmed cases.   

The former vice president made a similar gaffe at a campaign stop in June, when he said that 120 million Americans had died because of COVID-19.

Biden’s comments were made while he criticized Trump for his health care policies, which he suggested failed Americans during the pandemic.  

‘Millions of Americans are voting because they know their health care hangs in the balance,’ Biden said.

‘In the middle of the worst global health crisis in living memory, Donald Trump went before the Supreme Court trying to strip health care coverage away from tens of millions of families.

‘Strip away the peace of mind from more than one hundred million Americans with preexisting conditions. If he succeeds, he could discriminate against or drop coverage completely from people living with pre-existing conditions like Asthma, diabetes, cancer…’

33422978 0 image a 187 1600664544612

33422980 0 image a 188 1600664546058

National Institutes of Health-funded Moderna COVID-19 vaccine study participantWilliam Webb (right) gets a COVID-19 nose swab test by University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

National Institutes of Health-funded Moderna COVID-19 vaccine study participantWilliam Webb (right) gets a COVID-19 nose swab test by University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

Biden referred to the Trump administration previously asking the Supreme Court in June to invalidate the Affordable Care Act put forward by former President Barack Obama.

In doing so, certain provisions protecting those with pre-existing conditions or who are sick could be dropped. Millions of Americans relied on Obamacare. 

Trump has vowed to maintain those protections while facing criticism for his administration’s public health response to the pandemic. 

He previously slammed Biden over mistaking the COVID-19 death toll, saying: ‘If I ever said something so mortifyingly stupid’ and ‘this is beyond a normal mistake.’

But Trump has been criticized for a number of gaffe’s himself over the last four years in the Oval Office.   

Pictured: President Donald Trump

Pictured: former Vice President Joe Biden

Both President Trump (left) and Joe Biden (right) have been criticized for making gaffes during their campaigns

According to The Independent, Trump mistakenly referred to the 9/11 terror attacks as ‘7/11’ during a 2016 campaign rally.

‘I was down there and I watched our police and our firemen down there on 7/11,’ he said to the crowd in Buffalo, New York. 

‘Down at the World Trade Center, right after it came down, I saw the greatest people I’ve ever seen in action.’

One of his most famous mix ups was when he used the ‘covfefe’ in a tweet that was meant to read ‘coverage,’ in 2017.

‘Despite the constant negative press covfefe,’ the tweet read. The word was soon turned into an ongoing into joke that spawned a plethora of memes.   

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Main News

Trump manages to close the gap to just two points in a new poll between him and Joe Biden in Florida

Published

on

By

trump manages to close the gap to just two points in a new poll between him and joe biden in florida

A new poll suggests the race for the White House between Democratic nominee Joe Biden and President Donald Trump is getting closer in the battleground state of Florida with just a 2 point gap between the two candidates.

Biden has the edge of Trump, 48 percent to 46 percent according to a new poll by CBS News that was published on Sunday. 

But the Democrat’s lead has been slashed, after a similar poll in July showed him to be 6 points in front. 

The latest survey, conducted between September 15th and 18th, asked 1,200 voters who they would be voting for. 

Florida remains a close battleground state in the presidential election with the current margin between Trump and Biden just 2 percentage points

Florida remains a close battleground state in the presidential election with the current margin between Trump and Biden just 2 percentage points

There is currently just 2 percentage points between Trump and Biden in a new CBS News poll

There is currently just 2 percentage points between Trump and Biden in a new CBS News poll

Trump narrowly won Florida by just over 100,000 votes in 2016 against Hillary Clinton and will almost certainly need it this time around too

Trump narrowly won Florida by just over 100,000 votes in 2016 against Hillary Clinton and will almost certainly need it this time around too 

The poll has a 3.7 percent margin of error, while around five per cent of voters say they are still ‘not sure’ who they wish to vote for. 

In terms of demographics, Trump is leading among white people likely to vote in Florida, with 59 percent saying they will vote for the president. 

33420164 8754345 image m 25 1600657485160

Democratic nominee Joe Biden leads Trump up by 2 points in the Sunshine State

However, Biden appears to have a lead among Hispanic voters, by a similar margin –  56 percent compared to Trump’s 36 percent.

Trump narrowly carried the state in 2016 with 49% of the vote to Hillary Clinton’s 47%. 

The state is likely to be just as crucial this time around if the Democrats are to be successful at voting Trump out of office.  

The economy appears to be one of the most important issues for voters with many of those surveyed saying Trump’s policies are aiding a recovery.

Potential voters said they feel the president’s economic policies would better help their family’s financial situation than Biden’s proposals. 

Also, despite coronavirus cases still rising, Florida voters appear to feel more positive about efforts to combat the virus than efforts earlier in the summer, although largely along party lines.  

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Main News

Controversial ‘self-identity’ gender plan set to be axed after government U-turn on policy  

Published

on

By

controversial self identity gender plan set to be axed after government u turn on policy

Plans to allow people to ‘self-identify’ as a different gender will be formally dropped this week after they sparked controversy.

Ministers have decided to scrap proposals to permit gender on birth certificates being changed without a medical diagnosis.

Instead, it is believed the cost of changing gender as it currently stands will be made cheaper. 

Equalities Minister Liz Truss, pictured, will this week publish the Government’s new stance on the 2004 Gender Recognition Act. Proposals to alter the legislation were sent out for consultation in 2018. But plans to allow people to change the gender on their birth certificate without a medical diagnosis have been dropped. The Government says it believes the current legislation is 'sufficient' to support people's right to change their sex.

Equalities Minister Liz Truss, pictured, will this week publish the Government’s new stance on the 2004 Gender Recognition Act. Proposals to alter the legislation were sent out for consultation in 2018. But plans to allow people to change the gender on their birth certificate without a medical diagnosis have been dropped. The Government says it believes the current legislation is ‘sufficient’ to support people’s right to change their sex.

The proposals to alter the 2004 Gender Recognition Act were sent out for consultation in 2018. 

Liz Truss, the equalities minister, will this week publish the Government’s new stance on the policy.

But a Government source told the Sunday Times: ‘We think that the current legislation, which supports people’s rights to change their sex, is sufficient.’

At the moment, those wishing to change sex have to pay £140 and apply to a panel for a gender recognition certificate.

Harry Potter author JK Rowling is in the spotlight again because her new book, Troubled Blood, features a 'transvestite serial killer'. Rowling has come under fire in the past for making transphobic remarks on Twitter. Transgender activists have described Rowling as a 'TERF', a derisive acronym for 'trans-exclusionary radical feminist'.

Harry Potter author JK Rowling is in the spotlight again because her new book, Troubled Blood, features a ‘transvestite serial killer’. Rowling has come under fire in the past for making transphobic remarks on Twitter. Transgender activists have described Rowling as a ‘TERF’, a derisive acronym for ‘trans-exclusionary radical feminist’.

They have to supply two reports stating they have suffered from gender dysphoria, which normally come from their GP and another doctor or psychologist. 

Tory MPs claimed Boris Johnson developed cold feet about scrapping the reforms after being influenced by his fiancée Carrie Symonds.

Trans rights activists have said failing to liberalise the law would be a ‘Section 28 moment’, referring to a 1988 ban on councils and schools ‘promoting homosexuality’. 

It comes after author JK Rowling was accused of transphobia after tweeting her opinions about the importance of biological sex. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.