Connect with us

Sports

Crewe facing police and EFL investigations over alleged coronavirus breaches before postponed Oxford clash

Published

on

crewe facing police and efl investigations over alleged coronavirus breaches before postponed oxford clash

CREWE are facing a dual police and EFL probe for acting like Covidiots at Oxford.

Furious U’s boss Karl Robinson accused the Alex of breaking coronavirus rules after one of their players tested positive and another showed symptoms.

Oxford boss Karl Robinson fumed at Crewe's behaviour

3

Oxford boss Karl Robinson fumed at Crewe’s behaviourCredit: Alamy Live News

Saturday’s League One game between the sides was only called off 32 minutes before kick-off.

BBC Radio Stoke claimed Railwaymen midfielder Ryan Wintle had tested positive for Covid-19, with team-mate Omar Beckles reporting being unwell.

Crewe said in a statement a player had been “notified this morning that he is Covid-19 positive” — yet Oxford claim he still travelled with the team to the ground instead of self-isolating.

And Robinson insisted Crewe still wanted to play the match.

The U’s chief stormed: “All the players have been in our dressing room but I’ll refrain from commenting on that.

“One of their players got tested because of a young child and that player still ate with the team that night and travelled on the team coach.

“Crewe turned up about twenty-five to two and told us about what was going on — and that’s the first we heard of it.

“They didn’t want the game called off but I did not think that was right.”

Police are investigating MP Margaret Ferrier, who travelled from Glasgow to London with Covid symptoms then returned home after testing positive.

She has been suspended by the SNP and the Met are looking at possible offences related to Health Protection Regulations.

Crewe now face a similar probe, while an EFL spokesman confirmed last night they will be talking to the club about the incident.

Crewe directors refused to comment before leaving the Kassam Stadium.

But injured Oxford captain John Mousinho fumed: “A few players were uncomfortable about the notion of playing but, thankfully, the decision was  taken out of our hands.

“They have been in our dressing room and it was a sensible decision to call the game off.

“There are rumours Crewe knew about the positive test this morning and we are not happy about that. I’m glad it did come to light.

Oxford boss Karl Robinson pleads his case

3

Oxford boss Karl Robinson pleads his caseCredit: Alamy Live News
Oxford's squad hear their game is called off

3

Oxford’s squad hear their game is called offCredit: Alamy Live News

“The worst thing would have been to play because there is contact out there on the pitch.

“The lads were just not comfortable about playing and I was surprised when the Crewe players came out on to the pitch.

“I don’t know why they were out there — we were baffled by that.”

The match is expected to be rescheduled for Tuesday week.

An EFL statement read: “Crewe has advised the EFL it is unable to fulfil the fixture as players and first-team staff are now required to self-isolate  in line with EFL and Government guidance.

“A revised date for the rearranged fixture will be confirmed in due course.”

Watch as Andy Carroll juggles ball in box before scoring sublime goal for Newcastle in Crewe friendly

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

12.45pm Arsenal news LIVE: Aubameyang ‘takes tablets’, Partey told not to ‘waste prime years like Ozil’, Aouar latest

Published

on

By

12 45pm arsenal news live aubameyang takes tablets partey told not to waste prime years like ozil aouar latest
GL BLOG ARSENAL NEWS 4

ARSENAL were beaten 1-0 by Leicester as a Jamie Vardy header secured the Foxes first away win against the Gunners in 47 years.

And there was more bad news for Arsenal fans as captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was seen taking tablets in the first half, sparking fears that he is nursing an injury.

Follow all the latest Arsenal transfer gossip, news and updates below…

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

UFC 254 LIVE REACTION: Khabib RETIRES after win, McGregor vs Gaethje mooted, star BROKE toes WEEKS ago claims Dana White

Published

on

By

ufc 254 live reaction khabib retires after win mcgregor vs gaethje mooted star broke toes weeks ago claims dana white
OFF PLATFORM KHABIB 2

GOOD MORNING FIGHT FANS

UFC President Dana White has delivered another snub to Conor McGregor and Jon Jones – after declaring Khabib the GOAT.

White hailed Russian Nurmagomedov as the Greatest Of All Time and pound for pound best after he sensationally retired following his second-round stoppage of Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 in Abu Dhabi.

The 32-year-old has an undefeated record of 29-0 after he held on to his lightweight world crown.

White told the Eagle in an Instagram post: “You accomplished EVERYTHING you set out to do.

“You are the P4P best fighter in the world and you truly are the G.O.A.T of the sport. 29-0

Meanwhile, Jones has rejected Khabib’s claim he is the best pound-for-pound fighter.

Current P4P king Jones quickly refuted Khabib’s request in a lengthy Twitter rant.

He wrote: “Until I take that heavily crown, I grant you the spot. Enjoy Champ.”

He then tweeted: “15 world titles, numbers don’t lie.”

In other news, Khabib suffered from mumps as well as a broken foot and toes in the build-up to his win over Gaethje.

According to UFC journalist Kevin Iole, Khabib’s coach revealed he was out of action for two weeks with a case of the mumps.

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

12.45pm Man Utd news LIVE: Van de Beek latest, Pogba denies quitting France duties, Romero ‘wants contract cancelled’

Published

on

By

12 45pm man utd news live van de beek latest pogba denies quitting france duties romero wants contract cancelled
GL BLOG MAN UTD NEWS 2

SERGIO ROMERO is reportedly keen to set up a meeting with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward to cancel his contract.

The Argentine was left furious after being dropped from both Man Utd’s Champions League and Premier League squads.

Follow all the latest from Old Trafford below…

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.