Connect with us

Sports

Frank Warren calls out Eddie Hearn for a head-to-head boxing extravaganza

Published

on

frank warren calls out eddie hearn for a head to head boxing

Frank Warren has sensationally called out rival Eddie Hearn and proposed their two stables of fighters go head to head in a Queensberry vs Matchroom boxing showdown.

In an open letter to Hearn that was published on Tuesday night, Warren laid down the challenge to his promotion rival and called for their two rosters to square off in a sensational night of boxing.

The prospect of Queensberry vs Matchroom would provide some mouthwatering fights, including Daniel Dubois vs Dillian Whyte and maybe, just maybe, Anthony Joshua‘s long-awaited fight with Tyson Fury

Frank Warren has called out rival Eddie Hearn and proposed their promotions go head to head

Frank Warren has called out rival Eddie Hearn and proposed their promotions go head to head

Frank Warren has called out rival Eddie Hearn and proposed their promotions go head to head

In a letter to Hearn, Warren said the extravaganza would give the sport 'a shot in the arm'

In a letter to Hearn, Warren said the extravaganza would give the sport 'a shot in the arm'

In a letter to Hearn, Warren said the extravaganza would give the sport ‘a shot in the arm’

31583466 8594913 image a 20 1596609509284

31583466 8594913 image a 20 1596609509284

FIGHTS WE COULD GET TO SEE

Daniel Dubois vs Dillian Whyte

Anthony Yarde vs Joshua Buatsi

Joe Joyce vs Dereck Chisora 

Liam Williams vs Demetrius Andrade

Archie Sharp vs Zelfa Barrett

Hamzah Sheeraz vs Ted Cheeseman

Charlie Edwards vs Kal Yafai

Nathan Gorman vs Dave Allen

Chris Jenkins vs Conor Benn

*Queensberry fighters in bold 

<!—->Advertisement

Warren believes the format could give boxing a ‘proper shot in the arm’ and ease the financial woes on the sport brought about by the coronavirus pandemic.

He also claims BT Sport, who broadcast Queensberry’s fights, are already on board with the idea.

In the letter, Warren wrote: ‘The time is right to throw off the shackles and truly give our sport a proper shot in the arm.

‘What I am proposing is to break down the borders and give the fans the fights they want to see.

‘Let’s make the natural matches that have previously been deemed too complicated due to promotional and broadcast affiliations. Queensberry’s finest versus the best of Matchroom. 

‘Forget about promoter pride and egos, it is not about us. This is the time to turbo-charge boxing right back into the mainstream and capture the imagination of the watching public. 

‘From our side, our broadcast partner BT Sport fully buys into the concept and is ready and willing to help make it happen. If Sky Sports are of the same mindset, so much the better, and an equitable distribution of the fights can be worked out. No problem. 

‘There really isn’t any reason to put up any roadblocks to having the boxing pot overflowing with meaningful matches that would get the attention they deserve.

‘Let’s stop any tactical maneuvering and deliver the fans the fights they want to see. For the long-term good of our sport, now is the time to put up or shut up.’

Warren tweeted his proposal alongside some posters of which fighters could take place

Warren tweeted his proposal alongside some posters of which fighters could take place

Warren tweeted his proposal alongside some posters of which fighters could take place

Archie Sharp v Zelfa Barrett is one of the many enticing fights that fans could get to see

Archie Sharp v Zelfa Barrett is one of the many enticing fights that fans could get to see

Archie Sharp v Zelfa Barrett is one of the many enticing fights that fans could get to see

Along with the open letter, Warren also tweeted a graphic of some of the fights that could make up a card if the two heavyweight promotions locked horns.

They include Anthony Yarde vs Joshua Buatsi, Joe Joyce vs Dereck Chisora and Archie Sharp v Zelfa Barrett.  

Warren also believes the plan could help co-operation between the promotions as they look to finally get Fury and Joshua in the same ring. 

Although he couldn’t spell his heavyweight rival’s name correctly, Fury seemed to be a fan of his promoter’s idea and tweeted: ‘Just throw fury vs Joshuar in that also let’s make it happen’. 

Both Warren and Hearn are attempting to reel fans back in with a series of shows behind closed doors.

Last weekend, Hearn hosted his first event in his £5million ‘Fight Camp’ in the garden of his home in Brentwood, Essex. 

Hearn is hosting a series of 'Fight Camps' in the garden of his home in Brentwood, Essex.

Hearn is hosting a series of 'Fight Camps' in the garden of his home in Brentwood, Essex.

Hearn is hosting a series of ‘Fight Camps’ in the garden of his home in Brentwood, Essex.

The first event last weekend saw Ted Cheeseman defeat Sam Eggington and there will be three more weeks of action, concluding on August 22 when Whyte takes on Alexander Povetkin

The venue is being used as a ‘bubble’ so that fighters can compete safely amid health and safety concerns regarding the coronavirus pandemic.

All athletes will stay at a hotel nearby and travel back and forth between the HQ and accommodation. 

Meanwhile, Warren has been organising fights for his stars in BT Sport’s studios.  

Despite the prospect of some exciting fights, the Queensberry vs Matchroom showdown fans are crying out for is Joshua vs Fury.

Talk of an almighty British heavyweight showdown has gathered momentum ever since Fury defeated Deontay Wilder in February to claim the WBC title and they now have a proposed fight in 2021.

But Joshua must first defeat Kubrat Pulev while the Gypsy King has a re-match with Wilder to get through. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Zinedine Zidane sent a clear message to the board by not bringing Luka Jovic on in goalless draw

Published

on

By

zinedine zidane sent a clear message to the board by not bringing luka jovic on in goalless draw

Luka Jovic is available on loan this summer – that was the clearest conclusion to be drawn from Real Madrid‘s opening day 0-0 draw with Real Sociedad.

The 22-year-old Serbian international, who scored 17 goals in 32 appearances in the Bundesliga for Eintracht Frankfurt the season before last and 10 in 14 Europa League matches, was left on the bench on Sunday night as Real Madrid’s blunt attack failed to break down Real Sociedad’s defence.

Zidane requested the signing of Jovic for £58million in the summer of 2019 but instead of turning to him to break the stalemate he put on 20-year-old winger Marvin Park and 18-year-old attacking midfielder Sergio Arribas. His message could not have been clearer.

Luka Jovic (left) did not come on in Real Madrid's goalless draw against Real Sociedad

Luka Jovic (left) did not come on in Real Madrid’s goalless draw against Real Sociedad

Jovic joined Real Madrid - at the request of Zinedine Zidane - for £58million in summer of 2019

Jovic joined Real Madrid – at the request of Zinedine Zidane – for £58million in summer of 2019

The Serbian striker has been left out in the cold and will be available to loan this summer

The Serbian striker has been left out in the cold and will be available to loan this summer

After the game Zidane said: ‘I did not want to change the formation and Karim Benzema was playing well.’ It was not the most convincing of explanations. Throwing Jovic on with Benzema and playing 4-4-2 looked the obvious plan B after plan A had impressed but failed to find the opening goal of the season.

Park, who was at Tranmere as a kid before moving back to Spain in his early teens and under-18 prospect Arribas are both highly thought of but once the season is in full flow they are unlikely to feature again. 

This felt like a message from Zidane. He has moved on Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez and now he wants shot of someone else he does not see a future for at Real Madrid.

Zidane’s decision to ship out Rodriguez, Bale and Sergio Reguilon has already come under scrutiny. Don’t think Marca’s headline last week: ‘Zidane gets his way’, was anything other than a clear message to the Madrid manager: you have given up on these players, you had better make it work with those who are left.

Jovic has been looked at by several Premier League clubs. His performances against Chelsea in the Europa League in 2019 put him in the diaries of various directors of football and there would have been a great scrap for his signature had Madrid not been prepared to pay such a big fee last year. 

Now he is on the table again. Madrid learned the hard way from their experience with both Bale and Rodriguez that if Zidane sets his mind on overlooking a player then he will barely feature and his price will plummet.

Zidane instead opted to bring on Marvin Park (right) while Jovic stayed stuck on the bench

Zidane instead opted to bring on Marvin Park (right) while Jovic stayed stuck on the bench

Young midfielder Sergio Arribas also got the nod ahead of Real Madrid's £58m man on Sunday

Young midfielder Sergio Arribas also got the nod ahead of Real Madrid’s £58m man on Sunday

Borja Mayoral was another centre-forward left kicking his heels on the bench. The 23-year-old former Spain Under-21 international was out on loan at Levante last season. 

With one year left on his current deal Madrid are holding back on loaning him out again because they would rather sell. Zidane could keep Mayoral if Jovic goes but it really does seem that Zidane fancies neither of them.

‘It’s going to be a long wait for Mbappe’ read the Diario AS headline on Monday morning. He is the player Zidane really wants but there is no chance of that happening this summer.

Perhaps the best news for the Real Madrid coach after the first game of the new season was the form of Martin Odegaard. It was back in May 2015 when Odegaard made his debut for Madrid. He came on after an hour to replace Cristiano Ronaldo that night. 

It was a clear message from Zidane that he doesn't want Jovic (pictured) at Real Madrid

It was a clear message from Zidane that he doesn’t want Jovic (pictured) at Real Madrid

The same happened with Gareth Bale, who has now returned to Tottenham for the season

The same happened with Gareth Bale, who has now returned to Tottenham for the season

The score was already 5-3 in Madrid’s favour and Odegaard helped the team to two more goals. But coach Carlo Ancelotti would later refer to the debut as a PR stunt by the club. They had wanted their youngest Galatico to become the youngest player to play for the club, aged 16 years and 156 days.

He has returned as the complete midfielder after loan spells at Heerenveen, Vitesse and Real Sociedad.

He is yet to get full fitness because of a lingering problem in his right knee but he showed enough in the first half to suggest Real Madrid have done the right thing ending his loan odyssey.

He looked on the same wavelength as Karim Benzema and Zidane will hope that, in the absence of Mbappe, he can call upon the still unfit Eden Hazard sooner rather than later and enjoy the three of them trying to improve Real Madrid’s attacking threat.

James Rodriguez was also forced out by Zidane and has got off to a flying start at Everton

James Rodriguez was also forced out by Zidane and has got off to a flying start at Everton

Martin Odegaard was one bright spark for Real Madrid as they started the season with a draw

Martin Odegaard was one bright spark for Real Madrid as they started the season with a draw

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Today’s horse racing tips: Templegate’s NAP and best bets for Beverley, Warwick, Lingfield and Newcastle

Published

on

By

todays horse racing tips templegates nap and best bets for beverley warwick lingfield and newcastle

NEVILLE’S CROSS (3.30 Warwick, nap) will leave the bookies fuming.

He was impressive when winning at Uttoxeter on his handicap debut last time and a 9lb rise won’t stop him following up. Trainer Tom Lacey is in good nick too.

NINTCHDBPICT000608484640

1

Credit: John Mather / The Sun

OFFER OF THE DAY

£20 Risk Free Bet with Paddy Power

CLAIM HERE

18+ T&Cs apply Begambleaware.org

T&Cs: New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using Cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy’s Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. T&Cs apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org

BULLS AYE (1.30 Beverley, nb) can hit the target again after cruising to victory at Musselburgh. He likes this trip and has much more to come.

REDESDALE REBEL (6.40 Newcastle, treble) landed a cosy win over seven furlongs here 14 days ago and sees out this mile well.

BEVERLEY

1.00     Beechwood Donna

1.30     Bulls Aye (nb)

2.05     Harbour Vision

2.40     Ornate

3.15     Gamesome

3.50     William Alexander

4.25     Ricksen

4.55     Jupiter Road

WARWICK

1.15     Let The Heirs Walk

1.45     Diamond River

2.20     Purple King

2.55     Getaway Mag

3.30     NEVILLE’S CROSS (NAP)

4.05     Veiled Secret

4.40     Young Wolf

5.15     Kayarnah

LINGFIELD

1.55     Too Shy Shy

2.30     Legendary Day

3.05     Absolute Scenes

3.40     Lynns Boy

4.15     Cappananty Con

4.50     Amanto

5.20     Taqareer

5.50     Quemonda

NEWCASTLE

4.00     Desert Dawn

4.35     Jack Randall

5.10     Scots Sonnet

5.40     Titian

6.10     Light Refrain

6.40     Redesdale Rebel (treble)

7.10     Dark Devil

7.40     Loweswater

8.10     Serenading

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Sports

Harry Maguire ‘turns like an ocean liner’, blasts Simon Jordan in stinging rant at Man Utd board and Solskjaer

Published

on

By

harry maguire turns like an ocean liner blasts simon jordan in stinging rant at man utd board and solskjaer scaled

SIMON JORDAN blasted Harry Maguire for “turning like an ocean liner” in a stinging rant at Manchester United.

The former Crystal Palace chairman saw the Eagles stun United with a 3-1 win at Old Trafford on Saturday evening.

Simon Jordan called out Harry Maguire for criticism following his performance against Crystal Palace

3

Simon Jordan called out Harry Maguire for criticism following his performance against Crystal PalaceCredit: Getty Images – Getty

And Jordan let rip at the Red Devils when he appeared on talkSPORT, singling out skipper Maguire and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team selection for particular criticism after the defeat.

He said: “Manchester United were dreadful. Harry Maguire turns like an ocean liner and you see that in an instant – an £80million footballer who can’t move.

“Whether that’s psychological because he’s got all the baggage in the world or whether he needs a centre-half who’s quicker and can accommodate some of the things he can’t do.



“It seems inconceivable you wouldn’t pick Aaron Wan-Bissaka to shut Wilfried Zaha up… maybe the notion is he won’t play as well against his own club, rubbish!

“He’s a professional who wants to play for the biggest team in football in Manchester United.”

Jordan then turned his attention to the United board and their policies since Sir Alex Ferguson left in 2013, especially recruitment.

He added: “You don’t need to strengthen, with respect, to beat Crystal Palace. You need to perform to a certain level.

“Two weeks ago we’re hearing people going, ‘It’s not fair, Man United get an extra week to prepare’. Now we’re hearing that they were rusty. Which one is it? Which one gets the benefit?

The former Eagles chairman did not hold back as he blasted the Old Trafford club

3

The former Eagles chairman did not hold back as he blasted the Old Trafford clubCredit: talkSPORT
SPORTS GRAPHIC EXPENSIVE SIGNINGS MANUTD v2

Sign up to play Dream Team 2020/21 now

  • It’s completely free to play
  • Play the traditional Season game as well as Draft
  • There’s a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

“Man United were poor, Crystal Palace were what they do at times – very organised, very well versed in what their job is and very counter-intuitive about attacking on the front foot.

“At what point do one of the biggest clubs in the world turn to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for a solution for a problem that’s laid down over the last seven years?

“Man United are getting further and further away. They haven’t won the Premier League for 70 per cent of a decade.

“Whilst Solskjaer is a decent football man, you wonder when Manchester United became the side of someone that employs the track record of and capability of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to bridge the gap against Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona… against all the superpowers that Man United purport to be bigger than.”

GL GRAPHIC PM owners financing

3

GL GRAPHIC man utd wages
Agbonlahor says Man Utd should sack ‘soft’ Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and replace him with ex-Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.