Connect with us

Sports

HOW DEADLINE DAY UNFOLDED: Arsenal secure signing of Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid

Published

on

how deadline day unfolded arsenal secure signing of thomas partey from atletico madrid

Mikel Arteta bolstered his squad on Monday night as Arsenal completed a dramatic deal for Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey — while Manchester United had to fight to bring in four new faces. 

The Gunners made a late dash to deposit the £45million buy-out clause for Partey. The combative Ghanaian holding midfielder, 27, took his medical in Spain prior to grabbing a flight to London. 

He will earn around £260,000 a week over a four-year contract with the option of a further year. Uruguayan midfielder Lucas Torreira completed his loan move in the opposite direction. 

Arsenal bolstered their squad by activating Thomas Partey's £45million buy-out clause

Arsenal bolstered their squad by activating Thomas Partey's £45million buy-out clause

Arsenal bolstered their squad by activating Thomas Partey’s £45million buy-out clause

Earlier in the day Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi joined Hertha Berlin on loan

Earlier in the day Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi joined Hertha Berlin on loan

Earlier in the day Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi joined Hertha Berlin on loan

Partey’s transfer caused some disquiet in Madrid, with Atletico left with no time to find a replacement. The Spanish club say they were informed Partey’s release clause had been paid just 32 minutes before the deadline. 

Earlier Matteo Guendouzi, who had fallen out of favour with Arteta, joined Hertha Berlin on loan. But Arsenal signed defender Omar Rekik, 18, from Hertha Berlin for £900,000 and Malmo striker Nikolaj Duus Moller, 18, in a deal which will cost around £450,000.

United ended a traumatic window with four new signings on deadline day. After failing with their main objective of prising Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund, United lined up two young wingers and brought in Alex Telles from Porto for £15million plus free agent Edinson Cavani on a two-year deal worth £250,000 a week after tax. He is expected to wear the legendary No 7 shirt at Old Trafford. 

Manchester United finished the transfer window with a flourish as they signed Alex Telles

Manchester United finished the transfer window with a flourish as they signed Alex Telles

Manchester United finished the transfer window with a flourish as they signed Alex Telles

Cavani’s deal has a break clause after a year to suit both parties. Cavani said: ‘Manchester United is one of the greatest clubs in the world, so it is a real honour to be here.’

The surprise move for United was for Atalanta’s rising star Amad Diallo who will cost around £21m and will arrive in January when he has a work permit. They also paid £9m for Penarol’s Facundo Pellistri. ‘I can promise that I will give everything,’ said Telles.

Wishing to satisfy the demands of fans for a high-profile name, United made one last bid to prise Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona on loan only for the Frenchman to decide to stay. Watford’s winger Ismaila Sarr was offered but United were only willing to make any move a temporary one.

United also brought in free agent Edinson Cavani on a two year deal worth £250,000-a-week

United also brought in free agent Edinson Cavani on a two year deal worth £250,000-a-week

United also brought in free agent Edinson Cavani on a two year deal worth £250,000-a-week

Chris Smalling finally got his wish as his £18m move to Roma was completed in the nick of time. After weeks of protracted negotiations and with a plane on standby, Roma made their move with barely an hour to go before Italy’s 7pm deadline. However, the Italian federation cleared the paperwork and Smalling ended his 10-year spell at Old Trafford.

Everton completed the £25m signing of Norwich City defender Ben Godfrey then signed Roma’s Swedish international goalkeeper Robin Olsen on a season-long loan to increase pressure on Jordan Pickford. 

United also struck a deal for Atalanta's rising star Amad Traore, who will arrive in January

United also struck a deal for Atalanta's rising star Amad Traore, who will arrive in January

United also struck a deal for Atalanta’s rising star Amad Traore, who will arrive in January

A deal for Manchester United’s Sergio Romero had earlier collapsed despite an initial agreement being in place. Roma also attempted to sign Everton midfielder Bernard.

34019002 8808075 image a 9 1601934453974

34019002 8808075 image a 9 1601934453974

Tottenham pulled a surprise by making a move for Swansea City’s centre back Joe Rodon. Tottenham offered £7m for the 22-year-old Wales international whom Swansea value at £18m. Spurs sent 20-year-old full back Ryan Sessegnon out on loan to Hoffenheim.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek signed for Fulham on a season-long loan from neighbours Chelsea, who agreed to subsidise some of his £150,000-per-week wages to help the move go through.

Loftus-Cheek was joined at Craven Cottage by Danish defender Joachim Andersen, who also arrived on a season-long loan from Lyon. 

Fulham were unable to complete their move for PSV’s German defender Timo Baumgartl despite him completing a medical but did secure a £1.5m deal for Manchester City’s Tosin Adarabioyo, with Scott Parker determined to finish deadline day with two new centre backs. Chelsea saw Tiemoue Bakayoko move to Napoli on a temporary deal while defender Malang Sarr spoke to Porto.

The Portuguese giants were also the destination for West Ham winger Felipe Anderson, whose loan move for the season will be confirmed on Tuesday ahead of the deadline for Champions League squad declarations. 

Everton completed the signing of defender Ben Godfrey from Norwich for £25million

Everton completed the signing of defender Ben Godfrey from Norwich for £25million

Everton completed the signing of defender Ben Godfrey from Norwich for £25million

Tottenham pulled a surprise by making an offer of £7million for Swansea's Joe Rodon

Tottenham pulled a surprise by making an offer of £7million for Swansea's Joe Rodon

Tottenham pulled a surprise by making an offer of £7million for Swansea’s Joe Rodon

West Ham also held talks with Chelsea over a deal for Fikayo Tomori, who emerged as a target for David Moyes after a bid for Bayer Leverkusen’s Jonathan Tah fell through. Moyes was glad to keep hold of Declan Rice, but West Ham’s Josh Cullen signed for Anderlecht for £800,000.

Leeds signed Brazilian winger Raphinha from Rennes for £21m. The 22-year-old’s Italian passport saved the need for a work permit. Leeds midfielder Mateusz Bogusz joined Spanish side UD Logrones.

Fulham secured a loan move for Joachim Andersen as they sought to improve their squad

Fulham secured a loan move for Joachim Andersen as they sought to improve their squad

Fulham secured a loan move for Joachim Andersen as they sought to improve their squad

Leeds United secured the signing of Brazilian winger Raphinha from Rennes for £21million

Leeds United secured the signing of Brazilian winger Raphinha from Rennes for £21million

Leeds United secured the signing of Brazilian winger Raphinha from Rennes for £21million

Burnley made a surprise move for Angers’ 19-year-old French youth international midfielder Anthony Gomez Mancini. The deal is a loan with an option to buy for around £2m.

Leicester winger Rachid Ghezzal has completed a season-long loan move to Besiktas. 

Watford’s Gerard Deulofeu managed a loan move to Udinese. Watford moved to replace him with Christian Atsu from Newcastle United.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Burnley vs Tottenham LIVE SCORE: Son Heung-min gives Spurs lead from another Kane assist in Premier League

Published

on

By

burnley vs tottenham live score son heung min gives spurs lead from another kane assist in premier league
OFF PLATFORM BURNLEY NEW 2

BURNLEY 0-0 TOTTENHAM

77. Son takes up the best position of the game for Spurs as he’s played through on goal but Kevin Long gets back to block the attacker’s shot.

He took too long there did Son, though he comes forward again with Lamela and Kane, whose effort is once again blocked by a Burnley defender.

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Khabib switched from dad’s favourite armbar to triangle to avoid breaking Gaethje’s arm in front of UFC rival’s parents

Published

on

By

khabib switched from dads favourite armbar to triangle to avoid breaking gaethjes arm in front of ufc rivals parents scaled

KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV switched away from his dad’s favourite armbar to the triangle in order to avoid breaking Justin Gaethje’s arm in front of the American’s parents.

The Russian star maintained his 100 per cent record with a stunning victory over Gaethje at UFC 254 on Saturday night.

Khabib moved away from his dad's favourite submission move to go straight to the triangle and save breaking Justin Gaethje's arm

2

Khabib moved away from his dad’s favourite submission move to go straight to the triangle and save breaking Justin Gaethje’s armCredit: Getty Images – Getty

But rather than sealing the win with his traditional armbar move, Daniel Cormier reckons he opted for the safer triangle.

Gaethje revealed in pre-fight interviews he would never tap out and therefore Khabib believed he would need to break his opponent’s arm in order to secure the win in his usual way.

And so he chose to use the triangle method instead, choking his opponent unconscious to take his record to 29-0.

Former UFC heavyweight champ Cormier told ESPN MMA: “Khabib told me when he was watching the interviews over the course of the week, he saw that Justin said he would never tap.

“So when he was going to the submission get him to the armbar then get into the triangle. He said it was his father’s favourite submission.

“When he got there, he was going to do the armbar but he had heard Justin all week saying he would never tap and he didn’t want to hurt him in front of his parents so he went to the triangle and put him to sleep.

“He said, ‘I didn’t want to hurt him in front of his parents so I went to the triangle – if he goes to sleep, he goes to sleep, you wake up and you’re fine.’

“To be comfortable enough to think about this in the moment is crazy.

There was plenty of respect between the pair afterwards as Khabib announced his retirement

2

There was plenty of respect between the pair afterwards as Khabib announced his retirementCredit: Handout – Getty

“He didn’t want to break his arm because if Justin’s not going to tap, you have to break it and he didn’t want to do that in front of his mum and dad.

“If he put him to sleep he would wake up and everything would be okay.”

Khabib, who was in hospital just weeks before the fight with broken bones in his foot, secured the win in the second round at Fight Island.

And after breaking down in tears, he announced his shock retirement – three months after his dad Abdulmanap passed away aged 57 due to coronavirus.

He leaves the sport as one of the greatest fighters of all time having cleared out the UFC lightweight division.

But he is unable to continue his career without his father, who mentored and trained his son from the age of eight.

Georges St Pierre has been crowned the greatest MMA fighter of all time by fans
Georges St Pierre has been crowned the greatest MMA fighter of all time by fans
Khabib retires as ‘truly the GOAT and best P4P UFC fighter’ according to Dana White in Conor McGregor and Jon Jones snub

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Will Cristiano Ronaldo play against Lionel Messi’s Barcelona and when will the Juventus ace’s coronavirus test happen?

Published

on

By

will cristiano ronaldo play against lionel messis barcelona and when will the juventus aces coronavirus test happen scaled

CRISTIANO RONALDO’S return for Juventus in their massive Champions League tie against Barcelona is up in the air as he awaits the results of a THIRD Covid-19 test.

Ronaldo sat out the 1-1 draw with Hellas Verona on Sunday after being told to self isolate because of a positive coronavirus test while on international duty.

Cristiano Ronaldo missed the 2-0 win at Dynamo Kiev in Juventus' opening Champions League tie

2

Cristiano Ronaldo missed the 2-0 win at Dynamo Kiev in Juventus’ opening Champions League tieCredit: Icon Sport – Getty

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was also unable to face Dynamo Kiev last Tuesday and his participation in this week’s Champions League game with Barcelona is also in doubt.

Why isn’t Cristiano Ronaldo playing for Juventus?

Ronaldo played for Portugal in their draw with France during the international break and was expected to feature against Sweden.

But the former Man Utd and Real Madrid star returned a positive test for Covid-19 and left Portugal’s training camp.

He is currently self isolating and has reportedly displayed no symptoms.

It has also been revealed Ronaldo has been sleeping separately from partner Georgina Rodriguez and his four children while isolating.

Superstar Cristiano Ronaldo posted a picture on Instagram of him relaxing by his pool during isolation

2

Superstar Cristiano Ronaldo posted a picture on Instagram of him relaxing by his pool during isolationCredit: instagram.com/cristiano

Ronaldo travelled from Portugal to Turin on a private air ambulance – but hit back at suggestions he’s broken protocol in the process.

CR7 said: “I did not break any protocol.

“They’re saying that I broke Italian laws but it’s all a lie.

“I spoke with my team and we have the responsibility to do things right.

“Everything was done with authorisation. Principally for the Italian man (Italian sports minister Vincenzo Spadaforo) whose name I’m not going to say, it’s a lie, I abided by all the protocols.”

When will he return to action?

Cristiano Ronaldo’s long-awaited reunion with Barcelona and Lionel Messi could also be in doubt, after he returned a second negative test on Wednesday.

Ronaldo will now have one final test 24 hours before the match in the hope of being able to play.

If he tests positive again, he’s likely to make his Juventus return at Spezia on November 1.

Juve boss Andrea Pirlo said on Saturday: “As far as Cristiano Ronaldo is concerned, there has been no news. We await the results of the swabs.

“We did them this morning. He underwent the test at his home and if there is new news it will be communicated.”

Cristiano Ronaldo returns to Italy after testing positive for coronavirus

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.