Connect with us

Sports

Jordan Pickford set for crisis talks with Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti after another howler

Published

on

jordan pickford set for crisis talks with everton boss carlo ancelotti after another howler

Jordan Pickford is facing talks with Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti about his form after another blunder in his side’s 4-2 win against Brighton.

Pickford, already under the spotlight for two bad mistakes against Fleetwood earlier this season, allowed Neal Maupay to equalise at Goodison Park on Saturday when he failed to catch a bouncing ball from Leandro Trossard’s shot.

Ancelotti didn’t publicly condemn Pickford who remains Gareth Southgate’s England’s No 1 for the time being but did hint there would be a conversation between them when the 26-year-old returns from the upcoming international break.

33946802 0 image m 3 1601756873571

33946802 0 image m 3 1601756873571

Jordan Pickford was guilty of another blunder in Everton’s against Brighton on Saturday

‘I think this is not the right place to talk about Jordan Pickford,’ said Ancelotti. ‘If I have to say something to him when he comes back, I am going to talk to him.

‘He did a mistake but nothing happened. We have three points more. This is the most important part.’

Pickford’s error in a Merseyside monsoon after 41 minutes allowed Brighton back into the game at 1-1 but his team-mates ensured no lasting damage was done by running out easy winners.

The goalkeeper dropped an easy catch to allow Neal Maupay to level at 1-1 in the first-half

The goalkeeper dropped an easy catch to allow Neal Maupay to level at 1-1 in the first-half

The goalkeeper dropped an easy catch to allow Neal Maupay to level at 1-1 in the first-half

However, he has now made 11 mistakes leading to goals in the Premier League since signing for Everton in 2017 – more than any other goalkeeper during that period.

Ancelotti’s team are top of the table with maximum points and the Italian may bid to make one more signing before deadline day besides Norwich’s £25million defender Ben Godfrey who is close to sealing a move.

Theo Walcott, Moise Kean, Mo Besic and Yanick Bolasie are among squad players who will be allowed to leave on loan.

Goalkeeper Pickford is facing talks with Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti about his form

Goalkeeper Pickford is facing talks with Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti about his form

Goalkeeper Pickford is facing talks with Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti about his form

While two-goal James Rodriguez was Everton’s star of the show, Ancelotti enjoyed his team’s all-round performance as they celebrated their best start to the season in all competitions since 1894.

‘The attacking football was good in general,’ he said. We had good opportunities and were really clinical on the counter-attack. We played a complete game. When we defended with the low block, we were in a good position.’

Richarlison limped off after 25 minutes with a reoccurrence of the ankle injury sustained against West Ham in midweek but Ancelotti hopes he will be fit for the Merseyside derby which comes up after the international break.

Pickford (above) was also at fault for both of Fleetwood's goals in their 5-2 loss to Everton

Pickford (above) was also at fault for both of Fleetwood's goals in their 5-2 loss to Everton

Pickford (above) was also at fault for both of Fleetwood’s goals in their 5-2 loss to Everton 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Manchester United ‘want Erling Haaland and still believe they can take Jadon Sancho’

Published

on

By

manchester united want erling haaland and still believe they can take jadon sancho

Manchester United have strongly retained their interest in signing Borussia Dortmund hitman Erling Haaland as well as his team-mate Jadon Sancho, according to reports. 

England forward Sancho was United’s top summer target and although a move did not materialise, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer instead signing free agent Edinson Cavani up front, United’s willingness to do a deal has not gone away. 

But it is United’s interest in Norwegian striker Haaland, who Solskjaer coached during his time at Molde, which has been renewed and the 20-year-old has a £68m release clause valid in the summer of 2022 written into his Dortmund contract, The Athletic reports. 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains interested in a deal for both Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains interested in a deal for both Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains interested in a deal for both Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho

Sancho and Haaland linked up brilliantly again at the weekend for Borussia Dortmund

Sancho and Haaland linked up brilliantly again at the weekend for Borussia Dortmund

Sancho and Haaland linked up brilliantly again at the weekend for Borussia Dortmund 

The report details that though Solskjaer refused to meet Mino Raiola’s – Haaland’s agent – financial demands when the forward eventually moved from RB Salzburg to Dortmund in January, United’s long-term interest remains. 

The relationship between Haaland and Solskjaer is still thought to be strong, and United could pursue a move sooner than 2022 for a higher fee if his performances justify a steeper price tag. 

His agent Raiola has previously had run-ins in the past with Solskjaer and United, particularly over the long-term future of Paul Pogba. 

Meanwhile, despite the fact United refused to meet Dortmund’s £108m asking price for Sancho by their summer window deadline, striking a deal is still at the forefront of Ed Woodward’s mind in the near-future. 

In a pursuit which was reportedly given the codename ‘Project No 7’, even though Cavani has now taken the illustrious shirt number at Old Trafford, United are still keen to strike a deal for the 20-year-old ex-Manchester City youth-team player. 

Erling Haaland scored his fifth Bundesliga goal in five games with his strike against Schalke on Saturday

Erling Haaland scored his fifth Bundesliga goal in five games with his strike against Schalke on Saturday

Sancho neatly set up Haaland at the weekend though is yet to score in the German top-flight

Sancho neatly set up Haaland at the weekend though is yet to score in the German top-flight

A double United swoop for Haaland and Sancho could total in the region of £176million

Solskjaer retains a good relationship with Haaland despite Mino Raiola acting as his agent

Solskjaer retains a good relationship with Haaland despite Mino Raiola acting as his agent

Solskjaer retains a good relationship with Haaland despite Mino Raiola acting as his agent 

A deal for both Sancho and Haaland, with the potential fees on the table, could total as much as £176million. 

However, whether Dortmund decide to do business with United following the twists and turns of the Sancho saga this summer is another matter altogether. 

United also lost out to Dortmund in the signing of Birmingham City’s Jude Bellingham, who has already been used regularly in the centre of the Germans’ midfield at the beginning of the new season. 

Haaland, meanwhile, scored his fifth Bundesliga goal in five games as Dortmund strolled to a 3-0 win over local rivals Schalke on Saturday.  

Sancho is yet to score in the German top-flight this season though he did set-up Haaland for his goal at the weekend, with the pair’s lethal partnership continuing to flourish.  

Last week, former United coach Rene Meulensteen claimed the Red Devils would have done better landing a legitimate No 9 in the summer, such as Haaland, rather than chasing an overpriced deal for Sancho. 

‘United need a real striker, a proper No 9, one like Erling Haaland,’ Meulensteen wrote in his column for Manchester United Supporters Club Scandinavia.  

Ex-Utd coach Rene Meulensteen believes United should have pursued Haaland in the summer

Ex-Utd coach Rene Meulensteen believes United should have pursued Haaland in the summer

Ex-Utd coach Rene Meulensteen believes United should have pursued Haaland in the summer

‘Just look at Bayern Munich about how important a striker is for them. Ask Tottenham or Leicester what a striker means. For me, it is strange that a striker has not been the main goal for United.

‘Marcus Rashford can play striker, but he is not a typical striker. Anthony Martial can provide goals, but he is no goal scorer.

‘Now Edinson Cavani has signed but I don’t think Manchester United should look for a 33-year-old on the last day of the transfer window.’

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Michael Chandler demands four-man tournament to crown UFC lightweight champ after Khabib retirement including McGregor

Published

on

By

michael chandler demands four man tournament to crown ufc lightweight champ after khabib retirement including mcgregor scaled

UFC newbie Michael Chandler wants a four-man tournament to find a successor to Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The sport was stunned at the weekend when Khabib announced his retirement after securing a stoppage win against Justin Gaethje.

Michael Chandler hopes to be in with a shot of competing for the lightweight title

5

Michael Chandler hopes to be in with a shot of competing for the lightweight titleCredit: Handout – Getty
Khabib Nurmagomedov was emotional as he announced his retirement from UFC

5

Khabib Nurmagomedov was emotional as he announced his retirement from UFCCredit: Getty Images – Getty

It meant the Russian defended his lightweight title, and extend his undefeated record in MMA to 29 fights.

But the Dagestani revealed after the victory that he had made a promise to his mother to call it quits just months after his father and trainer Abdulmanap died.

Now Chandler, the former Bellator star who was on standby if either of the main-eventers had to pull out at the weekend, wants a chance to succeed the great Khabib.

And he wants the legendary Conor McGregor in the mix too.

Speaking to BT Sport, the 34-year-old American said: “I’d love the opportunity to fight in a four-man tournament for that title.

“Conor [McGregor], [Dustin] Poirier, myself, [Tony] Ferguson. There’s some names that need to be fighting for a title, so let’s make it happen.

“Let’s be honest: I’m the new guy. I’m not going to come in here and say, ‘Hey guys I deserve a title shot.’ I’d love my name to be thrown into the mix.”

Khabib cemented his reputation as one of the world’s best with a second round submission win over Gaethje at UFC 254.

DD COMPOSITE UFC PPV 2
Conor McGregor told Khabib that he will continue to fight in the lightweight division

5

Conor McGregor told Khabib that he will continue to fight in the lightweight divisionCredit: Instagram / @thenotoriousmma
Khabib Nurmagomedov secured a stunning stoppage win against Justin Gaethje

5

Khabib Nurmagomedov secured a stunning stoppage win against Justin GaethjeCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Despite UFC president Dana White admitting he ‘has no idea’ what the future holds, SunSport believes the four fighters mentioned by Chandler, plus Gaethje who is still interim champ, are the main contenders for Khabib’s crown.

After his stunning victory on Saturday night, Khabib broke down in tears as he remembered his father.

Abdulmanap died in July after complications having contracted coronavirus.

After the emotional win, the 29-0 superstar said: “Today, I want to say this is my last fight.

“When UFC called me about Justin, I spoke with my mother and I said I wouldn’t fight without father.

“And if I give my word, then I must follow it. UFC must make me No1 pound for pound fighter in the world, because I deserve it.”

And McGregor, despite his bitter rivaly with Khabib before and after his stoppage loss to the now-retired star, congratulated him on his performance while vowing to carry on the lightweight division.

He tweeted: “Good performance @TeamKhabib. I will carry on.

“Respect and condolences on your father again also. To you and family. Yours sincerely, The McGregors.”

Khabib revealed he had promised his mother that he would retire from UFC

5

Khabib revealed he had promised his mother that he would retire from UFCCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Khabib retires as ‘truly the GOAT and best P4P UFC fighter’ according to Dana White in Conor McGregor and Jon Jones snub

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

8.45am Man Utd news LIVE: Pogba in ‘France quit threat’, Van de Beek latest, Romero ‘wants contract cancelled’

Published

on

By

8 45am man utd news live pogba in france quit threat van de beek latest romero wants contract cancelled
GL BLOG MAN UTD NEWS 1

SERGIO ROMERO is reportedly keen to set up a meeting with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward to cancel his contract.

The Argentine was left furious after being dropped from both Man Utd’s Champions League and Premier League squads.

Follow all the latest from Old Trafford below…

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.