Connect with us

Sports

Manchester City: Pep Guardiola reveals club couldn’t afford a new striker this summer

Published

on

manchester city pep guardiola reveals club couldnt afford a new striker this summer

Pep Guardiola has admitted Manchester City could not afford to buy another striker in the summer transfer window.

The City boss revealed he wanted to bring in another forward of Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus‘ calibre but conceded that the club would need to break the bank to do so.

Lionel Messi was linked with a sensational summer move to the Etihad after the Barcelona talisman declared his intention to quit the club.

Pep Guardiola has admitted that Manchester City could not afford a new striker this summer

Pep Guardiola has admitted that Manchester City could not afford a new striker this summer

Pep Guardiola has admitted that Manchester City could not afford a new striker this summer

However, a reunion with Guardiola fell through which has now left the Spaniard with no other options.

Now with Aguero and Jesus both facing spells on the sidelines with muscle injuries, Guardiola has revealed how he wanted to strengthen at striker but didn’t have the funds to do so. 

‘We considered it, we thought about another but we could not,’ Guardiola said. 

‘I think the club do what they can, it’s not a club that wants revenues at the end of the year – it’s what they want and what’s best for the team.

City believed they were favourites to sign Barca talisman Lionel Messi but a move fell through

City believed they were favourites to sign Barca talisman Lionel Messi but a move fell through

City believed they were favourites to sign Barca talisman Lionel Messi but a move fell through

‘If you decide to buy a striker, it has to be a striker in the league of Gabriel and Sergio but we cannot afford it. That is the reality.

‘I’m not saying the club didn’t want to do it – they wanted to make as strong a team as possible. But we thought: “OK, Sergio is back.” We didn’t expect Gabriel to be injured, sometimes it happens.’

Ahead of their Champions League clash on Tuesday, Guardiola and Co arrived in Marseille with no striker, with teenager Liam Delap ineligible to play in the competition.

Guardiola went on to reveal that Aguero could be out for a month after he picked up a muscle strain during Saturday’s draw with West Ham.

‘With Sergio’s injury, 10-15 days is the minimum,’ Guardiola added. ‘If it’s a little bit longer it will be three weeks, one month. The muscular ones normally do not move [beyond] these [parameters]. Sergio will be the same, there will be no exception.’ 

Sergio Aguero picked up a muscle injury against West Ham and could be out for a month

Sergio Aguero picked up a muscle injury against West Ham and could be out for a month

Sergio Aguero picked up a muscle injury against West Ham and could be out for a month

Gabriel Jesus is still sidelined and Liam Delap remains ineligible for the Champions League

Gabriel Jesus is still sidelined and Liam Delap remains ineligible for the Champions League

Gabriel Jesus is still sidelined and Liam Delap remains ineligible for the Champions League

He insisted that Aguero was not rushed back last week, with the forward breaking down midway through his third consecutive start at the London Stadium following four months out with a meniscus problem.

‘We were incredibly patient,’ the Catalan said. ‘We didn’t force him. Unfortunately he was unlucky in one action.

‘Everyone got the statistics than in the Premier League, we have 47 per cent more muscular injuries than the same period last season. It’s not just about City.

‘In just a few months arrive in November, December, January and I guess it will be the same. The strongest ones will survive, the others will fall down.’ 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

DAVE BASSETT: Sheffield United sacking Chris Wilder would be suicide

Published

on

By

dave bassett sheffield united sacking chris wilder would be suicide

Chris Wilder knows exactly how to get Sheffield United out of this predicament because we did it before, and he was there. It was 1990-91 and we were much deeper in trouble than the Blades are now.

We had only four points from our first 16 games back in the old Division One. We went seven games without scoring. After 22 games we were still bottom. Absolutely nobody was saying we could stay up but we got out of trouble. We finished 13th.

The players, fans and board stuck together. That was the key. Everyone trusted what we were doing and no one went looking for a scapegoat. We trained hard and kept working. We stayed with our beliefs and our formation. 

Sheffield United shouldn't sack Chris Wilder, he should stay in charge for as long as possible

Sheffield United shouldn't sack Chris Wilder, he should stay in charge for as long as possible

Sheffield United shouldn’t sack Chris Wilder, he should stay in charge for as long as possible

I couldn’t tell them we’d definitely stay up. But we could either give up and call it a day or keep fighting until our luck turned. And it did. We signed Glyn Hodges from Crystal Palace, he scored against Derby and we won seven in a row. 

Chris played in a lot of those games. I’m confident he can do it again. I can see his players are trying. They were bombing on in the 90th minute at West Brom creating chances, trying to get an equaliser. 

They’ve missed their fans more than any other Premier League team. Bramall Lane can be a ferocious atmosphere, one of those grounds opponents don’t enjoy. It was the same in my time and in Neil Warnock’s. 

It’s been a tougher start in terms of fixtures and they’ve not been so lucky with injuries as last season. Jack O’Connell is a big miss. Enda Stevens and John Fleck have been out, and they’re important. The strikers are not firing. 

It has been a very difficult start to the campaign but Wilder's side can turn things around

It has been a very difficult start to the campaign but Wilder's side can turn things around

It has been a very difficult start to the campaign but Wilder’s side can turn things around

They just need a win to ignite something. There will be a game, and it could be Leicester on Sunday, when they’ll get battered and win 1-0.

A couple of wins and they’re back in the pack. I can’t believe anybody thinks firing Wilder is a good idea.

The biggest factor in our escape 30 years ago was the support from Derek Dooley and the rest of the board. Leading into Christmas, we’d still not won and Derek said, “We’re fully behind you”.

He always had the raging hump about being sacked on Christmas Eve by Sheffield Wednesday. He said they’d never dream of doing that.

I never felt any pressure, nor did I expect any after what I’d done. They were going nowhere when I arrived in 1988, going down into the third division with a poor team and deep in debt. 

Wilder is the best man to keep United up - he helped them to avoid relegation as a player

Wilder is the best man to keep United up - he helped them to avoid relegation as a player

Wilder is the best man to keep United up – he helped them to avoid relegation as a player

Two years later, we were back in the top league and we didn’t do it by spending big, like Leeds. We started the season against Liverpool, the champions. They had Ian Rush and John Barnes and we finished with John Pemberton in goal because Simon Tracey broke his cheekbone.

Sheffield United spent six seasons in League One before Chris won promotion. That’s a disgrace for a club of their size. He turned them around and brought them success after some miserable times.

It’s true some clubs might have sacked him by now. Watford and Nottingham Forest might have sacked him but Norwich could have got rid of Daniel Farke when they were struggling last season. They didn’t, nobody undermined him and now they’re top of the Championship, and they look like a sensible club who know what’s required to succeed within their limitations.

Sheffield United have a good manager. He’s the best man to keep them up. Tell me someone with better credentials. I hope they’re trying to look after him and support him. They should be trying to keep him for as long as he wants to stay. That’s what I’d be doing. If they sack Wilder, then cheerio. Suicide. Back to the Championship. 

Dave Bassett was talking to Matt Barlow

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Leeds United’s Jack Harrison scores with stunning girlfriend Fiorella Arbenz

Published

on

By

leeds uniteds jack harrison scores with stunning girlfriend fiorella arbenz scaled

MODEL Fiorella Arbenz has stuck it away in the back of the net so her footballer boyfriend should be taking notes.

The Costa Rican beauty, 24, is dating Leeds United star Jack Harrison, also 24.

Jack Harrison has been on a winning streak since dating stunning Fiorella Arbenz

4

Jack Harrison has been on a winning streak since dating stunning Fiorella ArbenzCredit: Chris Ramirez/Triangle News
The Leeds winger landed his model girlfriend and realised his dream of playing in the Premier League

4

The Leeds winger landed his model girlfriend and realised his dream of playing in the Premier LeagueCredit: Jack Harrison Instagram

The winger is currently realising his dream of playing in the Premier League, having previously played for Manchester City.

Speaking in October Jack said: “There were a lot of times I was doubting myself and how I could still achieve my dream of playing in the Premier League.

“But I look back on this crazy journey and realise the path I chose prepared me for this moment.”

Meanwhile Fiorella works as a model and was 4th runner-up for Miss Asia Pacific International.

Talk about the glammed united.

Jack previously played for Man City

4

Jack previously played for Man CityCredit: Jack Harrison Instagram
Fiorella works as a model and was 4th runner-up for Miss Asia Pacific International

4

Fiorella works as a model and was 4th runner-up for Miss Asia Pacific InternationalCredit: Jack Harrison Instagram
How Leeds could line up next season, with Ibrahimovic and Cavani in attack plus Quarta and Bravo in defence

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

AHEAD OF THE GAME: Manchester United keen to re-visit plans to hire a director of football

Published

on

By

ahead of the game manchester united keen to re visit plans to hire a director of football

The BBC are eager to commission a follow-up documentary with Anton Ferdinand after the success of the programme broadcast earlier this week — Football, Racism and Me.

In a compelling piece of television, the former Queens Park Rangers defender spoke in detail for the first time about the notorious incident at Loftus Road in 2011 when he was racially abused by John Terry. It led to the Chelsea defender being banned by the FA and losing the England captaincy after he had been cleared in court.

Ferdinand revealed he had been subjected to death threats after the event and spoke of his guilt at not speaking out about racism earlier. Initial talks have taken place at the corporation about making a second documentary, which would have a broader focus on the issue of racism in football and wider society. 

BBC are keen to produce a follow-up to the success of documentary 'Football, Racism and Me'

BBC are keen to produce a follow-up to the success of documentary 'Football, Racism and Me'

BBC are keen to produce a follow-up to the success of documentary ‘Football, Racism and Me’

Ferdinand spoke in detail about the incident involving John Terry at Loftus Road back in 2011. Terry was later cleared in court after a member of the public raised the issue with the police

Ferdinand spoke in detail about the incident involving John Terry at Loftus Road back in 2011. Terry was later cleared in court after a member of the public raised the issue with the police

Ferdinand spoke in detail about the incident involving John Terry at Loftus Road back in 2011. Terry was later cleared in court after a member of the public raised the issue with the police

Joel Glazer wants director of football at Old Trafford 

Manchester United are revisiting long-standing plans to appoint a director of football on the orders of owner Joel Glazer.

United have run numerous recruitment processes to bring in a transfer guru over the last few years and held several interviews without identifying the right candidate to work with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and the club’s main negotiator Matt Judge. 

Glazer, is demanding an overhaul of recruitment, with United having little recent silverware to show for a net transfer spend of £1billion over the last decade, and wants a new structure in place by the end of the season.

Joel Glazer is demanding an overhaul of recruitment due to little success in recent seasons

Joel Glazer is demanding an overhaul of recruitment due to little success in recent seasons

Joel Glazer is demanding an overhaul of recruitment due to little success in recent seasons

Lionesses to get new assistant to help Phil Neville

Phil Neville will be given a new assistant coach on a full-time contract to work with England Lionesses next year, even though he has no matches to prepare for.

The Lionesses have not played since March after recent friendlies against Germany and Norway were cancelled due to positive Covid-19 tests, but the FA are pushing ahead with their recruitment plans despite making major cuts elsewhere at St George’s Park.

The new coach will be in place for just seven months because Neville is being replaced by Holland manager Sarina Wiegman next summer, with the Dutchwoman expected to bring in her own staff.

Derby stay could be quick for Steve McClaren 

Steve McClaren’s fifth spell at Derby County may be short-lived, as the former England manager is working without a permanent contract at Pride Park.

The club’s former manager returned to Derby last week as a consultant to the board of directors, with a decision on whether he is retained in the more formal role of technical director left to new owners Derventio Holdings, whose takeover is expected to go through imminently.

Wayne Rooney’s future as manager is also uncertain, because the interim boss continues to rely heavily on coaching staff Leroy Rosenior, Justin Walker and Shay Given for Derby’s tactical preparation despite taking sole charge last week.

Steve McLaren's consultant role could be the shortest of his five stints spent at Derby County

Steve McLaren's consultant role could be the shortest of his five stints spent at Derby County

Steve McLaren’s consultant role could be the shortest of his five stints spent at Derby County

Shamed FA man to keep perks 

The FA have been forced to grant ‘fellowship rights’ to Brian Jones, the former FA Council member who resigned last year after posting an Islamophobic message on social media. It follows a decision taken by the National Game Board, who represent the grassroots game on the governing body. 

The FA Board and chief executive Mark Bullingham opposed restoring Jones’s privileges after he was found guilty of ‘aggravated improper conduct’ by an independent commission and made to leave the Council, and a bitter row last week led to the sudden resignation of FA Board member Stacey Cartwright, as revealed by Sportsmail.

The National Game Board refused to back down following the dispute, however, and Jones will get his fellowship rights, which amount to two tickets for every England game and occasional invitations to the Royal Box at Wembley.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.