Connect with us

Sports

Manchester City set to announce £37m Ferran Torres signing from Valencia on Tuesday

Published

on

manchester city set to announce 37m ferran torres signing from valencia on tuesday

Manchester City are expected to finalise their first summer signing today by landing Ferran Torres from Valencia.

Torres will cost City an initial £20.9million after agreeing a five-year contract, with the finer details and a medical set to be completed.

The 20-year-old’s arrival at the Etihad Stadium is seen as a coup for Pep Guardiola, who wanted fresh energy in wide areas ahead of next season.

Manchester City are set to complete £37m signing of Ferran Torres from Valencia on Tuesday

Manchester City are set to complete £37m signing of Ferran Torres from Valencia on Tuesday

Manchester City are set to complete £37m signing of Ferran Torres from Valencia on Tuesday

Torres is regarded as one of the most exciting wingers in Europe and was a highlight in Valencia’s otherwise disappointing LaLiga campaign.

Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Juventus had all retained interest in signing Torres, who had signalled his intention to leave the Mestalla.

Guardiola is hoping for four new faces over the coming weeks. 

City boss Pep Guardiola is eager to strengthen his squad as he looks to reclaim the league title

City boss Pep Guardiola is eager to strengthen his squad as he looks to reclaim the league title

City boss Pep Guardiola is eager to strengthen his squad as he looks to reclaim the league title

City are in the disadvantageous position of juggling both their Champions League campaign with summer recruitment but are moving quickly in a bid to narrow the gap to Liverpool.

Nathan Ake is also close to a move after City agreed a £40m fee with Bournemouth last week, while Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly is another target in the central defensive area.

City are back in Champions League action on Friday for their last-16 second-leg against Real Madrid.  

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

WATCH: Jurgen Klopp rips into Liverpool coaching staff for celebrating red card

Published

on

By

watch jurgen klopp rips into liverpool coaching staff for celebrating red card

Footage of Jurgen Klopp berating his Liverpool bench for celebrating Andreas Christensen’s red card in their victory at Chelsea on Sunday has emerged online.

The Liverpool boss did not take kindly to a member of his coaching staff clapping and cheering when the Chelsea centre-back’s yellow card for hauling down Sadio Mane on the stroke of half time was upgraded to a red by VAR.

It was reported at the time that Klopp had turned around from his spot on the touchline and shouted: ‘Are you crazy? We never ever do that, ok?’.

Video footage on Twitter has emerged of Jurgen Klopp berating his coaching staff

Video footage on Twitter has emerged of Jurgen Klopp berating his coaching staff

The Liverpool boss was unhappy that a Chelsea red card was being celebrated by his bench

The Liverpool boss was unhappy that a Chelsea red card was being celebrated by his bench

Asked about the incident after the game, the German said: ‘It was not one of my subs but another member of staff and I told him already what I think about it and he’s good with that. 

‘But in the moment that’s something I don’t want to see.’

Klopp’s furious reaction drew praise from Liverpool fans on social media.

One supporter tweeted: ‘Absolute class from Kloppo!’ while another wrote: ‘This is why the man is loved in football. Jurgen Klopp, showing class… Again.’

Twitter user @GrizzKhan wrote, ‘Klopp telling all the subs and his coaches not to applaud the red card…my manager’.

Andreas Christensen saw red for hauling down Sadio Mane as he went through on goal

Andreas Christensen saw red for hauling down Sadio Mane as he went through on goal

Referee Paul Tierney initially gave Christensen a yellow card before VAR intervened

Referee Paul Tierney initially gave Christensen a yellow card before VAR intervened

Christensen's yellow was upgraded to a red which then caused the touchline celebrations

Christensen’s yellow was upgraded to a red which then caused the touchline celebrations

After an even first half the red card incident appeared to swing the game decisively in Liverpool’s direction.

Mane was running through on goal from a precise long pass from captain Jordan Henderson when Chelsea defender Christensen got his opposite number in a headlock and brought him down before he could reach the ball as Kepa Arrizabalaga cleared.

Referee Paul Tierney issued a yellow card but was prompted to change his mind when he went over to view the incident again on the pitchside monitor. It was when he changed the colour of his card from yellow to red that the Liverpool bench applauded.

Mane proved the difference in the second half, latching onto a Roberto Firmino cross and another mistake from Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa to make it two wins from two for Klopp’s champions.

Klopp said of the incident after the game that it was 'something I don't want to see'

Klopp said of the incident after the game that it was ‘something I don’t want to see’

Klopp and opposite number Frank Lampard were involved in a touchline spat in July this year

Klopp and opposite number Frank Lampard were involved in a touchline spat in July this year 

This is not the first time that incidents on the sidelines between Liverpool and Chelsea have grabbed the headlines.

In July Frank Lampard warned Liverpool not to get ‘too arrogant’ and accused Klopp’s coaching staff of crossing a line and showing a lack of respect by leaping up, shouting and smirking at him during Chelsea’s 5-3 defeat at Anfield.

Klopp’s assistant Pep Lijnders was the target of Lampard’s fury and the incident, following the award of a free-kick, was picked up by TV cameras. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Fernando Torres selects dream Chelsea and Liverpool combined XI but there’s no place for Eden Hazard

Published

on

By

fernando torres selects dream chelsea and liverpool combined xi but theres no place for eden hazard

Fernando Torres has selected a combined XI from his time at Chelsea and Liverpool – but there’s no place for Eden Hazard in his dream team.

Torres spent four years at Liverpool between 2007 and 2011 before joining Chelsea in a £50million move, where he won the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup.

The 36-year-old announced his retirement from football last season after winding down his career at Japanese side Sagan Tosu. 

Fernando Torres has picked a combined Liverpool and Chelsea XI from his time at both clubs

Fernando Torres has picked a combined Liverpool and Chelsea XI from his time at both clubs

Torres spent four goal-laden seasons at Anfield before joining Chelsea in a £50m move in 2011

Torres spent four goal-laden seasons at Anfield before joining Chelsea in a £50m move in 2011

The former striker won the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup at Stamford Bridge

The former striker won the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup at Stamford Bridge

Shortly after retiring he returned to Stamford Bridge to visit former team-mates and colleagues and was asked to name a combined XI of Liverpool and Chelsea players.

It was no easy task, with Torres forced to leave out a host of star names. He said: ‘I could make two or three teams of people I played with at Chelsea and Liverpool, and all of them would be good enough to win the Premier League in any year.’

After much deliberation, the Spaniard opted for former Reds goalkeeper Pepe Reina between the posts. ‘With Reina I shared many times in Liverpool and also in the national team. ‘Petr Cech is obviously one of the best goalkeepers I ever played with, so it would be a very difficult decision as a coach to make.’ 

Former Liverpool No 1, Pepe Reina, got the nod in goal ahead of Chelsea legend Petr Cech

Former Liverpool No 1, Pepe Reina, got the nod in goal ahead of Chelsea legend Petr Cech

Torres named John Terry and Sami Hyypia as centre-back partners at the heart of his back four

Torres named John Terry and Sami Hyypia as centre-back partners at the heart of his back four 

Chelsea pair Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic were given the full-back berths by Torres

Chelsea pair Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic were given the full-back berths by Torres

The handwritten note that Torres wrote his dream team on

Torres opted for a 4-3-3 formation and a host of star names from his time at both clubs

The handwritten note that Torres wrote his dream team on (left); our pitch map shows Torres opted for a 4-3-3 formation and a host of star names from his time at both clubs (right)

At the heart of the back four, Torres opted for the hardened duo of John Terry and Sami Hyypia, who he believes would’ve formed an excellent partnership.

‘I would have Sami Hyypia and John Terry in the middle of the defence – two strong centre-backs who are good with the ball and without the ball. I think they would be a really good partnership as well.’ 

Torres opted for Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic as his choices at full-back before naming a stellar midfield trio in his 4-3-3 formation.

‘The midfield might be the most difficult part, as I’ve been lucky to play with some fantastic midfielders. Obviously I have to go for Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, both of them have to be in there.

Unsurprisingly, former Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard made the cut for Torres' team

Unsurprisingly, former Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard made the cut for Torres’ team

Xabi Alonso was also given a starting place in a holding role behind Gerrard and Lampard

Xabi Alonso was also given a starting place in a holding role behind Gerrard and Lampard

Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun were surprise inclusions as forwards either side of Didier Drogba

Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun were surprise inclusions as forwards either side of Didier Drogba

Torres says Drogba was a natural choice as the man to lead the line as a lone striker in his side

Torres says Drogba was a natural choice as the man to lead the line as a lone striker in his side

‘I played with so many great midfielders it’s very hard to pick. I played with many, many great players and I’m worried I’m going to have to leave some of them out, but I will have Xabi Alonso as the other midfielder, playing behind Gerrard and Lampard.’

In attack, Torres chose Didier Drogba to lead the line but despite playing alongside a host of big name forwards at both clubs, he chose two players he believes were underrated but would ensure plenty of creativity.

‘I will get Yossi Benayoun in there, who played for both Liverpool and Chelsea. He’s a great friend and a great player. It was easy to play with him for me, he was always trying to give chances to the striker and looking for those small gaps that no-one can see but him.

”I will pick Dirk Kuyt on the right. He was always scoring important goals and put in a lot of hard work, always. It was amazing seeing the way he used to work and I don’t think people really appreciated how good he was, but I could see it every day in training.’ 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Ex-Huddersfield manager David Wagner facing the sack at Schalke just ONE GAME into the new season

Published

on

By

ex huddersfield manager david wagner facing the sack at schalke just one game into the new season

Schalke head coach David Wagner faces the sack after just one game of the 2020-21 campaign, with the charismatic German reportedly told he will lose his job if the club lose again.

Former Huddersfield boss Wagner took over at the Bundesliga club last year after enjoying a four-year spell with the Terriers, but the 48-year-old set a new club record last season when Schalke went 16 league games without a win.

And their poor form continued into the new campaign, as Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich served up an 8-0 hammering of Wagner’s side at the Allianz Arena. 

David Wagner has been told he must win his next game to avoid the sack at Schalke

David Wagner has been told he must win his next game to avoid the sack at Schalke

Wagner's side were beaten 8-0 by Bayern Munich in a humiliating season opener on Saturday

Wagner’s side were beaten 8-0 by Bayern Munich in a humiliating season opener on Saturday

The latest defeat increases the pressure on Wagner, and German outlet Bild reports that Wagner has been warned ahead of the side’s next league game against Werder Bremen.

If Schalke lose their game on Saturday, Wagner will be dismissed from his post at Veltins-Arena. 

The same report suggests that Schalke’s sporting director Jochen Schneider has been told to contact possible replacements for the 48-year-old, with former Mainz boss Sandro Schwarz a front runner to take over as boss. 

Schalke chiefs have reportedly told Wagner he must win his next game against Werder Bremen

Schalke chiefs have reportedly told Wagner he must win his next game against Werder Bremen

Former Mainz boss Sandro Schwarz is already being lined up as a potential replacement

Former Mainz boss Sandro Schwarz is already being lined up as a potential replacement 

Wagner’s side performed well below expectations last season, with the slump in form in the second half of the campaign resulting in Schalke finishing in 12th, just nine points above the drop zone. 

‘We didn’t perform well as a group and Bayern were in great shape. We need to shake this off now,’ Wagner said after the humiliating defeat.

‘We have to show a reaction against Werder – we expect that from ourselves. I have confidence in my team’s qualities, which we unfortunately couldn’t show today.’

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.