Connect with us

Sports

Manny Pacquiao branded ‘crazy’ for wanting to fight KO machine Gennady Golovkin and moving up TWO weight classes

Published

on

manny pacquiao branded crazy for wanting to fight ko machine gennady golovkin and moving up two weight classes scaled

MANNY PACQUIAO has been called “crazy” for wanting to fight middleweight monster Gennady Golovkin.

The Filipino, who has boxed at the 147lb welterweight limit since 2011, is searching for his next opponent having targeted a return in 2020.

Manny Pacquiao wants to challenge middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin

2

Manny Pacquiao wants to challenge middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin Credit: Getty Images – Getty
Golovkin has only fought at the middleweight limit

2

Golovkin has only fought at the middleweight limit

And following call outs from welterweight champions Errol Spence Jr, 30, and Terence Crawford, 33, as well as 32-year-old Mickey Garcia, PacMan’s trainer Freddie Roach named GGG as a shock contender.

It would mean moving up two weights and almost a stone to challenge the middleweight champion – something that left super-featherweight Oscar Valdez stunned.

Valdez told  Fighthub: “Everybody wants to fight Pacquiao.

“Pacquiao chooses who he wants to fight. He wants to fight Golovkin, he’s crazy.

“He’s a legend. Pacquiao, he’s just a legend.”

PacMan should be warned that the last time a welterweight faced Golovkin it ended in Kell Brook’s orbital bone being broken after five rounds.

Pacquiao chooses who he wants to fight. He wants to fight Golovkin, he’s crazy.

Oscar Valdez

But the WBA welterweight champion, who began his career at flyweight and went on to win titles in eight divisions, is targeting an unbelievable ninth division.

He stepped up to welterweight in 2008 to beat Oscar De La Hoya in an upset and has not looked back, even if he is still capable of shrinking his body down to lightweight.

Roach told  DAZN last month: “I would not advise him to go 160lbs, that would be a little crazy. But putting him at 147lbs was a risk at one time.

“People would go to me, ‘Why are you moving him up to 147lbs?’, but he was very natural at that weight, he made the weight pretty good.

“He can make 140lbs pretty easy, he can actually make 135lbs but that’s a little bit more effort.

“But to fight the biggest guys at 147lbs with the money, it made good sense to all of us to fight the great Oscar.

“It was a great deal and it worked out really well for us.”

Pacquiao, who was recently called out by UFC star Conor McGregor, has fought as high as super-welterweight, winning the WBC title against Antonio Margarito in 2010.

But the 154lb title bout was agreed at a catchweight of 150lb, with PacMan only tipping the scales at 144.6lb.

Golovkin, 38, on the other hand is a career middleweight but following a struggle to make 160lb he has been linked with a move up in weight recently.

Manny Pacquiao looks lethal in training aged 41 in coronavirus lockdown with fans excited for ring return

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Jamie Carragher blasts handball rule after controversial Newcastle penalty at Tottenham Hotspur

Published

on

By

jamie carragher blasts handball rule after controversial newcastle penalty at tottenham hotspur

Jamie Carragher has blasted the handball rule, as the Sky Sports pundit labelled the decision to award Newcastle a last-minute penalty against Tottenham Hotspur an ‘absolute disgrace’. 

Spurs were looking to see out a 1-0 win over the Magpies on Sunday afternoon when the ball struck the arm of Eric Dier in the penalty area following a late free kick from the visitors.

VAR intervened and referee Peter Bankes was advised to review the incident on the pitchside monitor. After watching a number of replays, the referee pointed to the spot to award Newcastle a controversial penalty.

Jamie Carragher has blasted a decision to award Newcastle a late penalty against Tottenham

Jamie Carragher has blasted a decision to award Newcastle a late penalty against Tottenham

Jamie Carragher has blasted a decision to award Newcastle a late penalty against Tottenham

The visitors were handed a late spot kick after the ball struck the arm of Eric Dier on Sunday

The visitors were handed a late spot kick after the ball struck the arm of Eric Dier on Sunday

The visitors were handed a late spot kick after the ball struck the arm of Eric Dier on Sunday

New signing Callum Wilson stepped up and made no mistake in dispatching the spot kick beyond Hugo Lloris to snatch a point at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium. 

The 2020-21 campaign has seen a handful of controversial decisions relating to penalties awarded for handball, with Manchester United’s Victor Lindelof and Crystal Palace’s Joel Ward already harshly punished this season.

And Carragher has vented his fury with the interpretation of the rule, exclaiming that the rule as it is currently followed is ‘ruining football’.

After consulting VAR, referee Peter Bankes awarded the Magpies a controversial penalty

After consulting VAR, referee Peter Bankes awarded the Magpies a controversial penalty

After consulting VAR, referee Peter Bankes awarded the Magpies a controversial penalty

Carragher slammed the decision while on commentary, calling for drastic changes to be made

Carragher slammed the decision while on commentary, calling for drastic changes to be made

Carragher slammed the decision while on commentary, calling for drastic changes to be made

‘It’s an absolute disgrace. An absolute joke,’ the Liverpool legend fumed over Sky Sports commentary. 

‘Newcastle fans will be ecstatic, I can understand that. But everyone else in this country will say exactly what I am saying and what I am thinking. 

‘Eric Dier jumps for the ball, has no control of where his arms are going, there is a header half a yard away from him, hits him on the back of the arm, has no idea what is going on.’

Carragher made a direct plea to football’s governing bodies to immediately change the way the law is interpreted, so as to stop controversial decisions being made. 

Jose Mourinho was angered by the decision, storming into the tunnel before full time

Jose Mourinho was angered by the decision, storming into the tunnel before full time

Jose Mourinho was angered by the decision, storming into the tunnel before full time

Mourinho's assistant, Joao Sacramento, was given a red card for complaining to the referee

Mourinho's assistant, Joao Sacramento, was given a red card for complaining to the referee

Mourinho’s assistant, Joao Sacramento, was given a red card for complaining to the referee

‘This is a joke. Whether it’s the Premier League, the FA, FIFA, [Pierluigi] Collina, whoever’s involved in this – stop it, because you are ruining football for everybody. Absolute joke.’

The controversial decision saw a wave of indignation from former players on Twitter, with former Spurs striker Gary Lineker tweeting: ‘Ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous law exacerbated by VAR. Can we have our game back please?’  

Spurs boss Jose Mourinho stormed off down the tunnel before the spot kick was even struck, with the Portuguese tactician angered by the late decision.  

‘I don’t want to speak about it,’ he told BBC Sport. ‘The only feeling I am ready to share is that I don’t feel Tottenham is respected according to to what the club is. No respect.

‘It is my feeling. You know it is the third club I manager in the country, so happy so proud, so happy everyday, I would not change it for any other job in the world but I feel it, I feel we deserve more respect.’ 

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce sympathised with his Tottenham counterpart, saying top flight managers should get together to force change.

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce sympathised with Spurs and said change needs to happen

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce sympathised with Spurs and said change needs to happen

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce sympathised with Spurs and said change needs to happen

‘I can understand why Spurs will go beserk and Roy Hodgson reacted like he did,’ he told Sky Sports. ‘It is a total nonsense, we should be jumping through hoops but I would be devastated if that was us. 

‘Maybe Roy is right, maybe we all need to get together. The decisions are ruining the spectacle. We have to get together as managers and say this must stop.  

Meanwhile, it is believed that Joao Sacramento, Mourinho’s No 2, was given a red card by Bankes as a result of remonstrating with the referee’s decision at full time.

The result means that Spurs have picked up four points from a possible nine so far this season, and take on Mourinho’s former club, Manchester United, next.  

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Son Heung-Min sidelined ‘for a while’ with hamstring injury picked up in Spurs’ draw with Newcastle

Published

on

By

son heung min sidelined for a while with hamstring injury picked up in spurs draw with newcastle

Tottenham‘s woes have continued as Jose Mourinho confirmed Son Heung-Min was withdrawn at half-time of their 1-1 draw with Newcastle with a hamstring injury.

The South Korean winger started Spurs’ draw at home to the Magpies and played a key role in a dominant opening period, hitting the woodwork twice though did not appear for the second-half.

Son was just getting into his stride and scored four goals in the north Londoners’ 5-2 win over Southampton last weekend to open his account for the season. His latest injury will keep him out for several weeks, according to Mourinho.

Son Heung-Min suffered a hamstring injury in Tottenham's 1-1 draw with Newcastle on Sunday

Son Heung-Min suffered a hamstring injury in Tottenham's 1-1 draw with Newcastle on Sunday

Son Heung-Min suffered a hamstring injury in Tottenham’s 1-1 draw with Newcastle on Sunday

In his post-match press conference, the Portuguese boss said: ‘It’s an injury. We’ll have him out for a while. It’s his hamstring.’

Spurs were already reeling from throwing away two points on Sunday afternoon due to a controversial penalty awarded to the visitors. 

Eric Dier was deemed to have handled the ball from Andy Carroll’s knock down even though the defender was not even looking at the ball. 

The South Korean will be out 'for a while' with the injury after being taken off at half-time

The South Korean will be out 'for a while' with the injury after being taken off at half-time

The South Korean will be out ‘for a while’ with the injury after being taken off at half-time

The injury is a blow for Jose Mourinho (above)'s side who face a busy fixture schedule

The injury is a blow for Jose Mourinho (above)'s side who face a busy fixture schedule

The injury is a blow for Jose Mourinho (above)’s side who face a busy fixture schedule

After a lengthy VAR stoppage, referee Peter Bankes awarded the penalty much to the dismay of Mourinho, who stormed down the tunnel when Callum Wilson dispatched the stoppage time equaliser. 

Spurs are currently in the middle of a busy fixture list filled with Europa League qualifiers – a situation that was handed to Spurs after north London rivals Arsenal won the FA Cup which took them straight to the European group stages.

Son started and scored in Thursday night’s qualifier away at Macedonian First Division leaders KF Shkendija. Spurs now have to host Chelsea in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday before taking on Israeli side Maccabi Haifa 48 hours later. 

Spurs were already reeling from Callum Wilson's late penalty after a controversial VAR call

Spurs were already reeling from Callum Wilson's late penalty after a controversial VAR call

Spurs were already reeling from Callum Wilson’s late penalty after a controversial VAR call

Their fixture list would have been even more hectic had last Tuesday’s League Cup tie away at Leyton Orient not been called off due to the League Two side picking up several coronavirus cases in their playing squad.  

Spurs lost star striker Harry Kane to a similar injury in January of this year which forced the English captain to watch from the sidelines from New Year’s Day to the Premier League’s restart following the coronavirus hiatus in the middle of June. 

Tottenham have Lucas Moura, who scored in the Newcastle draw on Sunday, Steven Bergwijn and Erik Lamela as wide options to support Harry Kane. New loan signing Gareth Bale is still a few weeks’ away from full fitness after barely playing for former side Real Madrid. 

Fellow attacker Dele Alli has been exiled from Mourinho’s Premier League squads in recent week but could be drawn back into the fold due to this latest injury.  

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Watch ‘knockout of the year’ as ‘animal’ Filip Hrgovic leaves opponent out cold on the ropes in brutal stoppage

Published

on

By

watch knockout of the year as animal filip hrgovic leaves opponent out cold on the ropes in brutal stoppage

HEAVYWEIGHT boxing sensation Filip Hrgovic secured the ‘KO of the year’ with a brutal demolition of Alexandre Kartozia.

The 28-year-old Croatian has been talked up as a potential world title challenger.

Filip Hrgovic landed this beauty of a shot in the second half

3

Filip Hrgovic landed this beauty of a shot in the second half
Alexandre Kartozia was left knocked out cold with hi head resting on the ropes

3

Alexandre Kartozia was left knocked out cold with hi head resting on the ropes

And he showed his supreme power at a Sauerland show out in Denmark to devastating effect.

Hrgovic managed to get his Greek opponent, who was a late stand-in, out of there in the second round.

It meant the Zagreb-born heavyweight, nicknamed ‘El Animal’, moved to 11 undefeated as a professional.

He is also the WBC International champ.

Hrgovic won a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympics and is ranked int he top ten in both the WBC and IBF official rankings.

His promoters Sauerland uploaded a clip to Twitter of the devastating finish, captioning it: “KO of the year from ‘El Animal'”.

One fellow boxer who thinks Hrgovic will be the next big thing in the sport is Tom Little.

The Brit was stopped in the fourth round by Hrgovic in January 2018 and tasted the Croatian’s power at first hand.

There was no getting up from this monster of a punch

3

There was no getting up from this monster of a punch

He told Sky Sports: “Hrgovic will be the next dominating force when Tyson Fury hangs up his gloves. He is that good.

“He will be another such heavyweight as Wladimir Klitschko.

“Hrgovic is the standout prospect and the one that can have longevity and success. Hrgovic is so, so clever.

“You won’t find another heavyweight as explosive, who hits as hard as him, apart from Deontay Wilder.

“That’s the sort of power he hits with. That is the sort of punch power he carries.”

Tyson Fury shows off explosive power and works on brutal hooks which destroyed Wilder in training ahead of trilogy fight

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.