Connect with us

Sports

Marcus Tregoning’s Mohaather shows devastating turn of pace to win the Qatar Sussex Stakes

Published

on

marcus tregonings mohaather shows devastating turn of pace to win the qatar sussex stakes

Marcus Tregoning’s warning that Mohaather was ‘on fire’ going into the Qatar Sussex Stakes proved spot-on as the colt burnt off his six rivals.

A nightmare scenario two furlongs out, when the Jim Crowley-ridden miler was stuck behind a wall of horses, turned into a dream result as Mohaather passed five of his opponents in the final furlong to give his trainer a first Group One win since Sir Percy landed the 2006 Derby.

He defeated Circus Maximus by three-quarters of a length with Andrew Balding’s 2,000 Guineas winner Kameko a luckless fourth after finding his path blocked. But Mohaather was a more impressive winner than his victory margin suggests.

Mohaather came out on top in a stellar renewal of the Qatar Sussex Stakes at Goodwood

Mohaather came out on top in a stellar renewal of the Qatar Sussex Stakes at Goodwood

Mohaather came out on top in a stellar renewal of the Qatar Sussex Stakes at Goodwood

A rough race was made even more complicated when Vatican City dropped out quickly after losing a shoe and finishing lame.

Crowley, who described Mohaather’s performance as ‘special’, had to give ground and a heap of momentum on the 3-1 shot before aiming at 9-4 favourite and eventual third Siskin, who looked the likely winner a furlong out.

Mohaather missed last year’s 2,000 Guineas with a stress fracture in his off-foreleg and he endured a luckless run in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot last month.

Another unlucky defeat would have been tough to take. Tregoning, 60, said: ‘It was a little bit of a nightmare but I knew if he got out he would have the speed. I thought he’d win. All the indications were we had him right. Luckily it came off but I would have been pretty sore if he hadn’t been able to win.’

The Mohaather success story is also a family one. Tregoning’s 21-year-old son George and 15-year-old daughter Alice regularly ride Mohaather at his Hampshire stables in Whitsbury, where David Elsworth used to train the great Desert Orchid.

Tregoning moved there seven years ago when he could not balance the books in Lambourn and his string dropped from 100 horses to just 30.

Trainer Marcus Tregoning bridged a 14-year gap to land big race on Wednesday

Trainer Marcus Tregoning bridged a 14-year gap to land big race on Wednesday

Trainer Marcus Tregoning bridged a 14-year gap to land big race on Wednesday

The emergence of Mohaather has coincided with a fresh injection of talent owned by Sheik Hamdan, including Tuesday’s Goodwood winner Alkumait.

Tregoning added: ‘I have had to wait a long time for this but quite honestly we didn’t have the horses. When I left Lambourn it was like starting from the beginning. Luckily, Sheik Hamdan supported me very well.’

Crowley described Mohaather’s win as ‘redemption’ after what had happened in the Queen Anne Stakes. He added: ‘Royal Ascot ate away at me for a few days. I was gutted for Marcus.’

The Prix Jacques Le Marois and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes are obvious targets for Mohaather and possibly the Breeders’ Cup Mile in November. That race could be tailor-made for Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Siskin, according to his trainer Ger Lyons, who said: ‘He is the best three-year-old and he was outstayed by two older horses. There were no excuses.’

Jockey Oisin Murphy was left to rue his bad luck on Kameko. He said: ‘I had lots of horse from three furlongs out if I could have got some room.’

lOwner Sheik Mohammed Obaid landed the Unibet 3 Boosts In A Day Handicap with Richard Hannon-trained Mambo Nights on the day his Roger Varian-trained 2019 Coronation Cup hero Defoe was fatally injured on the Newmarket gallops.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Arsenal transfer of £13.4m rated defender Shkodran Mustafi to Lazio or Napoli ‘gaining momentum’

Published

on

By

arsenal transfer of 13 4m rated defender shkodran mustafi to lazio or napoli gaining momentum

ARSENAL defender Shkodran Mustafi is reportedly a transfer target for Serie A sides Lazio and Napoli.

The Gunners are open to offers for the German who has just one year left on his deal at the Emirates.

Shkodran Mustafi is a £13.4million target for Lazio and Napoli

1

Shkodran Mustafi is a £13.4million target for Lazio and NapoliCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Calciomercato claims Lazio have identified Mustafi as a priority for the centre of their defence, with Arsenal willing to sell for around £13million.

The report states that asking price could even drop to £11million.

Napoli are also interested in Mustafi, as well as his Arsenal team-mate Sokratis, as a potential replacement for Manchester City target Kalidou Koulibaly.

The biggest obstacle in any deal could be the World Cup winner’s salary.



Mustafi is thought to earn around £4million per year in north London.

Lazio are reportedly willing to offer the 28-year-old a five-year deal worth £2.3million per season plus bonuses.

Mustafi featured heavily for Mikel Arteta’s side last season following their switch to a 3-4-3 formation before a knee injury ruled him out of the FA Cup final.

He is still recuperating and has yet to feature for Arsenal this season.

Mustafi previously played in Serie A for Sampdoria between 2012 and 2014.

The Gunners added centre-backs William Saliba and Gabriel Magalhaes to their squad in the off-season, hence their willingness to let Mustafi go.

Arsenal are hoping to raise money through sales to fund a move for Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar.

The north London outfit have already sold goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez to Aston Villa for £20million, with several other names linked to the exit door.

Mikel Arteta claims Arsenal are as big as Barcelona which helped convince Aubameyang to stay and sign new deal

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Sports

7.15am Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Edouard Mendy quarantine LATEST, Jovic offer revealed, Rice bid ‘WILL be made’

Published

on

By

7 15am chelsea transfer news live edouard mendy quarantine latest jovic offer revealed rice bid will be made

CHELSEA are close to securing the signing of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, after Rennes’ manager confirmed the goalkeeper WILL join the Blues.

And Frank Lampard is also set to make a bid for Declan Rice as the club takes its extravagant transfer spending up yet another notch.

Sign up to play Dream Team 20/21 now

  • It’s completely free to play
  • Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
  • There’s a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

Get all the latest transfer gossip and updates below…

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Sports

7.15am Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Aouar ‘contract AGREED’, Partey LATEST, Mustafi exit ‘gaining momentum’

Published

on

By

7 15am arsenal transfer news live aouar contract agreed partey latest mustafi exit gaining momentum

HOUSSEM AOUAR has reportedly agreed a contract with Arsenal, however the Gunners have yet to match Lyon’s asking price.

It is also reported that should Mikel Arteta only be able to sign one of the two players he will opt for the French ace rather than Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey.

Sign up to play Dream Team 20/21 now

  • It’s completely free to play
  • Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
  • There’s a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

Get all the latest news and transfer gossip here…

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.