Connect with us

Sports

Mason Greenwood ‘sweating on his Manchester United place ahead of Crystal Palace opener’

Published

on

mason greenwood sweating on his manchester united place ahead of crystal palace opener

Mason Greenwood was reportedly reprimanded by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for his bad behaviour whilst on England duty and could lose his starting spot for Manchester United‘s first match of the season.

The 18-year-old was thrown out of Gareth Southgate‘s Three Lions squad along with Phil Foden this month for inviting Icelandic girls into his and the Manchester City star’s hotel room while the England squad were in a Covid-19 bio-secure bubble.

Greenwood had made his England debut during the September international break following some excellent performances for the United first-team.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (left) reportedly told Mason Greenwood (right) off for his England ordeal

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (left) reportedly told Mason Greenwood (right) off for his England ordeal

Greenwood (left) was sent home along with Phil Foden (right) for breaking COVID-19 rules

Greenwood (left) was sent home along with Phil Foden (right) for breaking COVID-19 rules

But according to The Sun, the winger faces the prospect of missing out on a starting spot for the Red Devils’ opening league match against Crystal Palace on Saturday following a stern conversation with Solskjaer.

The report claims that Greenwood apologised to the United head coach and his performances in training could determine whether he starts the Palace match at Old Trafford.  

The winger had already posted an apology on United’s website in the week after his actions were discovered.

Gareth Southgate sent Greenwood and Foden home for inviting Icelandic  girls into their hotel

Gareth Southgate sent Greenwood and Foden home for inviting Icelandic  girls into their hotel

The statement read: ‘Having now had the chance to reflect on what’s happened, I can only apologise to everyone for the embarrassment I have caused.

‘It was irresponsible of me to break the COVID-19 protocols which are in place to protect players, staff and the public. In particular, I want to apologise to Gareth Southgate, for letting him down, when he had shown great trust in me.

‘Playing for England was one of the proudest moments in my life and I only have myself to blame for this huge mistake. I promise my family, the fans, Manchester United and England that this is a lesson I will learn from.’ 

Greenwood has apologised to Solskjaer but could lose his spot in the Manchester United team

Greenwood has apologised to Solskjaer but could lose his spot in the Manchester United team

Greenwood had a sensational breakthrough season at Manchester United last season, scoring 17 goals in his first campaign as a regular first-team star. 

He formed a formidable partnership with fellow forwards Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford following the coronavirus hiatus which fired the Red Devils to a top-four finish. 

Greenwood played in United’s final pre-season match before the Crystal Palace encounter – a 1-0 defeat away to Aston Villa last weekend.  

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

UFC star Justin Gaethje slams ‘b****’ Conor McGregor as war-of-words between duo continue ahead of potential fight

Published

on

By

ufc star justin gaethje slams b conor mcgregor as war of words between duo continue ahead of potential fight scaled

UFC interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje has labelled Conor McGregor as a ‘b****’ on Twitter after a fight between the two failed to materialise.

The 31-year-old American was left furious with comments made by the Notorious to UFC president Dana White on social media.

Justin Gaethje has taken aim at UFC legend Conor McGregor on social media

2

Justin Gaethje has taken aim at UFC legend Conor McGregor on social mediaCredit: 2020 Jeff Bottari
McGregor criticised UFC president Dana White on Twitter, leading Gaethje to hit back

2

McGregor criticised UFC president Dana White on Twitter, leading Gaethje to hit backCredit: Getty Images – Getty

McGrgeor, 32, hit back at White after the 51-year-old claimed the Irishman had broken ‘man-code’ after the two-weight world champion shared conversations between the two.

White called it “one of the dirtiest things you can do”.

To which McGregor said: “Code was broke when you lied about me turning down fights mate.

“I said Justin in May and you went and said I did not want to fight. It’s not about Diego (Sanchez). Diego was a filler to get more fights in.

“Also you have been involved in Manny (Pacquiao) talks the legal letters are there. Stop lying.”

An infuriated Gaethje – who called out his rival last week – then replied to his tweet, as he said: “Conor McGregor not a good look lying on the boss.

“Anything to not look like a b****. You had me in January I was calling on you left and right and not a peep.

“My manager asked if I wanted you after Tony (Ferguson) but you know, f*** you.

KH COMP GRAPHIC SPORTS UFC V3
DD COMPOSITE UFC PPV 2

“You never wanted it, you took the easy road kid.”

Gaethje is set to return to the octagon next month at UFC 254 when he faces lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov.

McGregor meanwhile is in line to return to the boxing ring, where he could pit his wits against eight-weight world champion Manny Pacquiao in January.

UFC star Justin Gaethje urges Conor McGregor to come out of retirement

This post first appeared on thesun.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Culture Secretary warned EFL and National League clubs could be LOST without urgent financial help

Published

on

By

culture secretary warned efl and national league clubs could be lost without urgent financial help

Clubs in the EFL and National League are preparing to cease playing and wind up their operations after the return of spectators was delayed, the Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has been warned.

A letter co-signed by 17 individuals including former Football Association chairmen Greg Dyke and Lord Triesman and pundit Robbie Savage says help is urgently needed to ward off the threat of financial collapse.

The Government announced last week that plans for spectators to return to sports venues from October 1 had been scrapped due to a rise in coronavirus infections.

Clubs in the Football League and National League could be lost without a financial rescue deal

Clubs in the Football League and National League could be lost without a financial rescue deal

Clubs in the Football League and National League could be lost without a financial rescue deal

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has received a letter warning him clubs need  urgent help

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has received a letter warning him clubs need  urgent help

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has received a letter warning him clubs need  urgent help

Dowden has now been told that without some sort of rescue package, a number of clubs will be lost.

‘Without any plans being made to rescue clubs, many in the EFL and others in the National League as well, are now actively preparing to make all but essential staff redundant, cease playing, close down their youth academies and community foundations, and put their business into administration,’ the letter warns.

‘This could lead not only to the failure of many historic community clubs, but the collapse of the national league structure that we have known for over one hundred years. These are decisions that will be made in the coming weeks, with many clubs unable to meet their payroll obligations for next month.’

The letter sent to Dowden in full

We wrote to you in May this year setting out the financial crisis facing football clubs, and particularly those in the English Football League (EFL), because of the loss of match-day revenue resulting from the government’s policies to combat COVID-19. We also detailed a game plan that could be put in place to prevent this. Since then clubs have been able to sustain themselves through advance season ticket sales, solidarity payments from the Premier League, and had agreed to start playing the new season in the belief that fans would be allowed to return to stadiums this autumn.

It’s now clear that spectators will not be back in EFL grounds, even in limited numbers, for the foreseeable future. As a consequence clubs will not only lose this budgeted-for income, but will also have to refund season tickets to fans who will now be prevented from attending matches.

There has been no agreement reached by the football authorities on a bailout for clubs that need it, many of whom were already heavily indebted before the coronavirus arrived. From the statements made by ministers at DCMS questions in the House of Commons on 24 September, it’s equally clear that the government has no current proposals to provide financial support, and nor is it prepared to offer any guarantees for the future.

Without any plans being made to rescue football clubs, many in the EFL and others in the National League as well, are now actively preparing to make all but essential staff redundant, cease playing, close down their youth academies and community foundations, and put their business into administration. This could lead not only to the failure of many historic community clubs, but the collapse of the national league structure that we have known for over one hundred years. These are decisions that will be made in the coming weeks, with many clubs unable to meet their payroll obligations for next month.

There is still time to act, but not long left. The government made £1.5billion available to rescue arts and cultural organisations across the country that faced closure because of the coronavirus. We believe that football, like other well-loved professional sports in this country, is also a cultural activity. We would ask that the government now make clear what financial support it’s prepared to give before it is too late. In particular, we believe that in order for clubs to sustain themselves over the winter and keep playing, they would need to be compensated for the loss of match ticket sales. The absence of this income is not a result of their actions, but the policies that have been put in place by the government in response to a public health emergency.

We understand that you had hoped that the Premier League clubs might make a significant additional contribution to support the EFL. Whilst this would be welcome those clubs too face swingeing losses from lost ticketing receipts and falling revenues from broadcasting matches. However, it cannot be the Premier League’s sole responsibility to sort out issues arising from government policy. The government itself needs to take responsibility, or many already-embattled towns – often in areas of the country which have suffered many hardships in recent decades – will lose their last focal point.

SIGNATORIES

Damian Collins MP, former Chairman of the DCMS select committee

Charlie Methven, co-owner Sunderland FC

Lord David Triesman, former Chairman of the FA

Lord Faulkner of Worcester, Vice-President The National League

Lord Goddard of Stockport

Malcolm Clarke, Chairman of the Football Supporters Association

Robbie Savage, former player and sports broadcaster

Greg Dyke, former Chairman of the FA

Karl McCartney MP for Lincoln and Chairman of the APPG for Football

Ian Mearns MP for Gateshead and Chairman of the APPG for Football Supporters

David Amess MP for Southend West

Rehman Chishti MP for Gillingham

Damian Green MP for Ashford and member of the DCMS Select Committee

Kevin Brennan MP for Cardiff West and member of the DCMS Select Committee

 

<!—->Advertisement
A number of clubs in the EFL and National League are already planning to cease playing

A number of clubs in the EFL and National League are already planning to cease playing

A number of clubs in the EFL and National League are already planning to cease playing

The delay for the return of fans to stadiums has hit finances of lower-league clubs hard

The delay for the return of fans to stadiums has hit finances of lower-league clubs hard

The delay for the return of fans to stadiums has hit finances of lower-league clubs hard

The Government needed to set out what financial support it could offer, the letter said, because it was ‘not the sole responsibility’ of the Premier League to bail out those lower down the pyramid.

It pointed out that Premier League clubs too ‘face swingeing losses from lost ticketing receipts and falling revenues from broadcasting matches’.

The letter referenced the £1.5billion rescue package for the arts sector and added: ‘We would ask that the Government now make clear what financial support it’s prepared to give before it is too late.’

Dowden said on Sunday that the Premier League needed to ‘step up to the plate’ to help clubs in the EFL and said he was hopeful of a deal being agreed this week

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius set to complete season-long loan move to Union Berlin 

Published

on

By

liverpool goalkeeper loris karius set to complete season long loan move to union berlin

Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius is finalising his loan move to Union Berlin.

The 27-year-old, who has not featured competitively for Liverpool since the 2018 Champions League final, arrived in Berlin on Sunday evening and is undergoing a medical on Monday ahead of agreeing a season loan.

Liverpool wanted £6million for Karius who has spent the last two seasons with Besiktas and had enquiries from Montpellier and Hertha Berlin. He is surplus to requirements with Alisson Becker, who is an injury doubt for tonight’s clash with Arsenal, and Adrian well established at Anfield.

Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius is finalising a season-long loan move to Union Berlin

Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius is finalising a season-long loan move to Union Berlin

Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius is finalising a season-long loan move to Union Berlin 

Karius, pictured in training earlier this month, is surplus to requirements at Anfield

Karius, pictured in training earlier this month, is surplus to requirements at Anfield

Karius, pictured in training earlier this month, is surplus to requirements at Anfield

However, with nobody willing to meet the asking price, Liverpool have loaned Karius out for a year in the hope he can improve his market value. Liverpool’s Nigerian striker Taiwo Awoniyi is also at Union.

Liverpool expect to offload more players before the end of the window. Burnley remain in talks over a prospective £15m deal for Harry Wilson while £25m-rated Rhian Brewster is waiting for Crystal Palace and Sheffield United to meet Liverpool’s demands.

Marko Grujic has interest from Borussia Monchengladbach and Liverpool would consider offers for Divock Origi and Xherdan Shaqiri. Hull City are interested in Ben Woodburn and Poland U21 goalkeeper Kamil Grabara is talking to Greek club PAOK.

Liverpool are also adding Brazilian goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga from Fluminense this week for around £1.9m.

The 27-year-old has not featured competitively for Liverpool since the 201

The 27-year-old has not featured competitively for Liverpool since the 201

The 27-year-old hasn’t featured competitively for Liverpool since the Champions League final

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.