Connect with us

Sports

Nigel Pearson says he has been ‘overwhelmed’ by messages from Watford fans after sacking

Published

on

nigel pearson says he has been overwhelmed by messages from watford fans after sacking

Nigel Pearson has admitted he is disappointed he could not ‘finish the job’ after being sacked by Watford with two games left of the Premier League season.

Sportsmail reported the former Leicester boss was axed on Sunday after falling out with owner Gino Pozzo in the aftermath of the club’s 3-1 defeat at West Ham on Friday night. 

Coaches Hayden Mullins and Graham Stack will take over for the rest of the campaign with officials frustrated by the Hornets’ lack of form. Pearson revealed he has been ‘overwhelmed’ by messages of support from fans since leaving Vicarage Road and wished the club well for the remaining matches.

Nigel Pearson has praised Watford fans for their support after he was sacked by the club

Nigel Pearson has praised Watford fans for their support after he was sacked by the club

Nigel Pearson has praised Watford fans for their support after he was sacked by the club

He said he had been 'overwhelmed' by messages from supporters and wished the club well

He said he had been 'overwhelmed' by messages from supporters and wished the club well

He said he had been ‘overwhelmed’ by messages from supporters and wished the club well

Writing on Twitter, he said: ‘I’ve been overwhelmed by the well-wishes I’ve received from Watford supporters and the football community. 

‘Thank you all for your kind messages. Although not able to finish the task I was brought in to achieve, I wish Watford all the best for their final two games. Cheers, Nige.’

Pearson became Watford’s third sacking of the season after the club parted company with Javi Gracia in September before replacing him with former boss Quique Sanchez Flores – who lasted only three months. 

Watford fell to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at West Ham leaving them in danger of relegation

Watford fell to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at West Ham leaving them in danger of relegation

Watford fell to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at West Ham leaving them in danger of relegation

The club brought in Pearson in December, with his primary job to keep the team in the Premier League – and initially he inspired a revival at the club, overseeing notable wins against Manchester United and Liverpool.

However, the club have won just twice since the Premier League restart and face two daunting trips to Manchester City and Arsenal to finish off the campaign as they battle for survival.  

A statement on Sunday read: ‘Watford FC confirms that Nigel Pearson has left the club with immediate effect.

Pearson was understood to be a popular figure with the squad who were shocked he was axed

Pearson was understood to be a popular figure with the squad who were shocked he was axed

Pearson was understood to be a popular figure with the squad who were shocked he was axed

‘Hayden Mullins, with Graham Stack as his assistant, will take up the position of Interim Head Coach for the Hornets’ final two Premier League fixtures of the 2019/20 season. There will be no further club comment.’

Players are understood to be shocked by the decision to decision to axe Pearson as he was a popular figure among the squad having brought about an improvement since arriving in the dugout.

Former Leicester and Southampton boss Claude Puel is one of the front runners to take over from Pearson at the end of the season. 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Manchester City to complete club record £64m deal for Benfica centre back Ruben Dias

Published

on

By

manchester city to complete club record 64m deal for benfica centre back ruben dias

Manchester City will complete a club record £64million deal for Ruben Dias, ending a two-year pursuit of the Benfica centre back.

Dias will become the most expensive player in City’s history – eclipsing the £62.8m paid to Atletico Madrid for Rodri a year ago – with Nicolas Otamendi joining Benfica for £13.7m as part of the deal.

The 23-year-old Portugal international has passed a medical but the transfer will only go through once Otamendi has been given the all-clear by his new club.

Benfica captain Ruben DIas is on the verge of signing for Manchester City for £64million

Benfica captain Ruben DIas is on the verge of signing for Manchester City for £64million

City boss Pep Guardiola has decided to let Nicolas Otamendi move in the opposite direction

City boss Pep Guardiola has decided to let Nicolas Otamendi move in the opposite direction

City’s 5-2 capitulation at home to Leicester on Sunday underlined the need to strengthen at the back despite spending £40m on Nathan Ake from Bournemouth.

Dias was one of four options considered by the club which included Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli, Sevilla’s Jules Kounde and Jose Gimenez at Atletico.

But City believe they have gone for the right man having tracked Dias in previous transfer windows, and got a good deal considering the £80m release clause in his contract.

The Benfica skipper, who has previously attracted interest from Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus, is understood to fit the bill for Pep Guardiola in terms of age, profile and the quality of defender he wanted.

The 23-year-old has attracted interest from Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus before

The 23-year-old has attracted interest from Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus before

City were put off by the price on both Koulibaly and Gimenez, although no formal bid was made for either player according to sources who say the process has underlined the club’s willingness to walk away from a transfer if the terms are not right.

There were also issues with Sevilla over Kounde’s valuation and it’s believed that City were concerned that the 21-year-old Frenchman was too much of an unknown quantity to bring to the Premier League at this stage of his career.

The opportunity to trade Otamendi to Benfica in exchange for Dias was a bonus with City recouping almost half of the £32m paid to Valencia for the Argentine defender five years ago.

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Jamie Carragher writes off Scott Parker’s Fulham side after just THREE games in the Premier League

Published

on

By

jamie carragher writes off scott parkers fulham side after just three games in the premier league

Jamie Carragher has called Fulham owner Tony Khan a ‘clown’ and insisted that Fulham are more likely to be relegated from the Premier League than Liverpool are to retain their title.

Former Liverpool and England centre-back Carragher watched Fulham put on a defensive horror show as they lost 3-0 at home to Aston Villa on Monday and had no sympathy after supremo Khan apologised to fans on Twitter.

Slamming Khan’s decision to post about the fiasco on social media, Carragher told Sky Sports: ‘It never works, it always ends up in tears.

Fulham are bottom of the Premier League after conceding 10 goals in three games this season

Fulham are bottom of the Premier League after conceding 10 goals in three games this season

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher slammed frail Fulham and club owner Tony Khan

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher slammed frail Fulham and club owner Tony Khan

‘He’s a clown, getting involved with that. Just shut your mouth, get on with it, keep your head down.

‘It was a really poor performance. It was that bad, we were actually laughing at some of the defending. Fulham are going down – I’ve never been more certain about anything in my life. 

‘I’m more certain of Fulham going down than Liverpool winning the league. What we saw there was actually unbelievable.’

Flummoxed Khan revealed he had missed out on four defensive targets since Fulham were promoted from the Championship in August, while beleaguered boss Scott Parker admitted he was not fully aware of the owner’s struggle to enhance his squad.

Khan used Twitter to address supporters in the aftermath of the 3-0 home defeat by Aston Villa

Khan used Twitter to address supporters in the aftermath of the 3-0 home defeat by Aston Villa

The owner claimed that the club had been hampered in their attempts to boost their defence

The owner claimed that the club had been hampered in their attempts to boost their defence

Khan criticised the playing staff in a move that left Carragher and Roy Keane deeply perturbed

Khan criticised the playing staff in a move that left Carragher and Roy Keane deeply perturbed

Carragher fiercely criticised Khan’s role in Fulham’s big-spending summer two years ago, when they went on to be relegated with a whimper after winning promotion.

He said: ‘He was buying all the players, he made a right mess of that. What does Scott Parker think about this? What do those lads who are playing at the back think about that, who have maybe got to play in midweek or at the weekend?

‘Just keep your mouth shut. They were a mess last time they came up. What they don’t want to be this year is a mess. They’re going to go down but almost go down together, be a club, stick together.’

Former Manchester United midfielder Keane added that he could not see any of the positives mentioned by Cottagers manager Scott Parker (above) during his post-match remarks

Former Manchester United midfielder Keane added that he could not see any of the positives mentioned by Cottagers manager Scott Parker (above) during his post-match remarks

Carragher singled out full-back Denis Odoi for his part in the Cottagers’ third consecutive defeat since their return to the Premier League, while fellow pundit Roy Keane also directed a warning at Khan.

The former Manchester United midfielder said: ‘You talk about engaging with supporters but you shouldn’t be discussing the club’s business or your transfer targets.

‘That’s nobody’s business. When you’ve been beaten 3-0 at home, take your medicine and look at things over the next few days. Bizarre.’ 

There have been reminders of Fulham's last Premier League season in their first three games

There have been reminders of Fulham’s last Premier League season in their first three games

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal set Friday deadline by Lyon president to wrap up their move for £45-rated midfielder Aouar

Published

on

By

arsenal set friday deadline by lyon president to wrap up their move for 45 rated midfielder aouar

Arsenal have been set a Friday deadline to complete the signing of Houssem Aouar by Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas. 

The Gunners are determined to sign the 22-year-old this summer and are set to raise their dismissed £32million offer to £36.5m with a further £9m in bonuses in a hope to secure the creative midfielder, according to football.london

Aulas is also braced for late bids for forwards Moussa Dembele and Memphis Depay.

Arsenal are preparing a significantly improved second bid for target Houssem Aouar

Arsenal are preparing a significantly improved second bid for target Houssem Aouar

He told footmercato.net: ‘I’m thinking of proposing it tomorrow (Tuesday) to Rudi (Garcia) and Juninho, sporting director), because it’s understandable.

‘As of Friday, players who have not left will not leave. We don’t need to sell and, for me, it’s very easy to say that. 

‘After that, we can find agreements with players and clubs for a year to come.’  

Aouar, who has made 130 appearances for Lyon, is paramount to Mikel Arteta’s plans as he looks to deploy his team in a 4-3-3 formation this season.

The 22-year-old attacking midfielder will be vital to Mikel Arteta's 4-3-3 formation this season

The 22-year-old attacking midfielder will be vital to Mikel Arteta’s 4-3-3 formation this season

Despite rejecting their opening offer, Lyon club president Jean-Michel Aulas suggested that the club would be open to selling Aouar for the right price.

He tweeted: ‘For Houssem Arsenal is too far from his value: we are counting on him to play a great match in Lorient and lead OL in CL next year.’

Aouar has been previously valued at £54m but it is believed the Ligue 1 side will lower their asking price amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Aouar is reportedly keen to depart the Ligue 1 club before the end of the transfer window, meaning any deal must be completed before the deadline on October 5.  

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas wants any deals to be completed by Friday

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas wants any deals to be completed by Friday 

This post first appeared on dailymail.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.