Connect with us

Sports

Premier League ‘set to revert back to broadcasting select games on TV for 2020-21 season’

Published

on

premier league set to revert back to broadcasting select games on tv for 2020 21 season

The feast of football on TV that fans have become accustomed to in the last month is not set to continue into next season, according to reports.

All remaining 92 Premier League matches of the 2019-20 season were made available live to fans by broadcasters after three barren months without live top-flight action on screen.

However the Premier League is expected to revert back to broadcasting select games in the 2020-21 season, according to The Athletic.

Feast of football on TV fans have become accustomed to is not set to continue into next season

Feast of football on TV fans have become accustomed to is not set to continue into next season

Feast of football on TV fans have become accustomed to is not set to continue into next season

All remaining 92 Premier League matches of the 2019-20 season were made available on TV

All remaining 92 Premier League matches of the 2019-20 season were made available on TV

All remaining 92 Premier League matches of the 2019-20 season were made available on TV

But Premier League is reportedly set to revert back to broadcasting select games in 2020-21

But Premier League is reportedly set to revert back to broadcasting select games in 2020-21

But Premier League is reportedly set to revert back to broadcasting select games in 2020-21

The report comes with no date pencilled in for when supporters will be able to return to stadiums with football continuing to be played behind closed doors due to the coronavirus.

Sky Sports and BT Sport will reportedly continue to split Premier League coverage with Amazon to broadcast 20 matches next season while the BBC will revert back to just broadcasting highlights of England’s top tier. 

The BBC showed four Premier League matches of Project Restart with Crystal Palace’s win over Bournemouth on June 20 the first live top-flight match on the BBC for 32 years. 

Football fans have had to adjust to a new way of supporting their team without attending live

Football fans have had to adjust to a new way of supporting their team without attending live

Football fans have had to adjust to a new way of supporting their team without attending live

Sportsmail revealed last week that English football clubs are seeking specialist safety advice on how to bring fans back to games.

There is a possibility of restricted numbers being able to attend pre-season matches in August although no dates have been fixed by the Government or Premier League for pilot events. 

Sportsmail exclusively revealed that the sport of horse racing is in advanced talks with the Government about allowing spectators to return while Premier League clubs are hopeful that a limited number of season-ticket holders will be allowed into matches when the new campaign gets underway in September.  

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said last month: ‘I would really hope that by the return of the new season we might be in a position whereby some fans could start to return to stadiums,’ he said.

‘And I know that would be another important part of restoring the financial position of clubs.’ 

Around 5,000 football fans were able to attend Paris Saint-Germain’s thrashing of Le Havre in France on Sunday and supporters in Holland have been allowed to go to pre-season matches.

Around 5,000 football fans were able to attend PSG's thrashing of Le Havre in France

Around 5,000 football fans were able to attend PSG's thrashing of Le Havre in France

Around 5,000 football fans were able to attend PSG’s thrashing of Le Havre in France 

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Crystal Palace launch £25m bid for Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster including £37m buy back clause

Published

on

By

crystal palace launch 25m bid for liverpool striker rhian brewster including 37m buy back clause

Crystal Palace have launched a £25 million bid for Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster as a host of Premier League clubs battle it out for his signature.

Palace’s bid is comprised of £19m plus £6m in add ons, while there is also a £37m buy-back clause as part of the deal. 

That would mean Liverpool have first refusal on Brewster if Palace decide to sell the striker in the future. 

Crystal Palace have emerged as the favourites to sign Rhian Brewster after making £25m bid

Crystal Palace have emerged as the favourites to sign Rhian Brewster after making £25m bid

Brewster is highly rated by Liverpool but the club can't offer him regular first team football

Brewster is highly rated by Liverpool but the club can’t offer him regular first team football

The striker missed a penalty during a rare appearance in Community Shield defeat to Arsenal

The striker missed a penalty during a rare appearance in Community Shield defeat to Arsenal

Brewster is in demand after scoring 11 goals in 22 appearances during a loan spell at Swansea City last season, which included several stunning strikes.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is an admirer of Brewster’s talents but can’t promise him regular minutes with Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mo Salah his first choice attacking trio.

Klopp handed the 20-year-old a rare substitute appearance in extra-time during the Community Shield defeat to Arsenal, but Brewster missed his penalty in the shoot-out.

That could now be his last appearance in a Reds shirt, with Liverpool accepting that his departure may offer the best solution for all parties.  

Brewster is in demand after scoring 11 goals in 22 games during a loan spell at Swansea

Brewster is in demand after scoring 11 goals in 22 games during a loan spell at Swansea

Klopp is an admirer of 20-year-old but may have to sell him to balance books after signings

Klopp is an admirer of 20-year-old but may have to sell him to balance books after signings

Klopp may also have to raise cash after the club spent £66m on Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota last week, with Brewster one of his most saleable assets.

The Reds have been frugal in the transfer market in recent summers prior to their recent outlay and will be wary of balancing the books as Premier League clubs continue to play behind closed doors.

 Liverpool will hope Palace’s opening offer will spark a bidding war between Premier League clubs, with Sheffield United also keen on the striker. 

Reports elsewhere have also credited up to four other top flight teams with an interest in Brewster, with Newcastle United and Brighton reportedly considering bids and Fulham harbouring hopes of a loan deal.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea in talks with PSG over selling Tiemoue Bakayoko as Blues demand £32m transfer fee for midfield flop

Published

on

By

chelsea in talks with psg over selling tiemoue bakayoko as blues demand 32m transfer fee for midfield flop scaled

PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN have made contact with Chelsea about taking £40million flop Tiemoue Bakayoko off their hands.

The Blues are desperate to offload the French midfielder who has failed to make any impression since moving to Stamford Bridge three years ago.

Bakayoko isn't in Frank Lampard's plans

3

Bakayoko isn’t in Frank Lampard’s plansCredit: Getty – Contributor

AC Milan have been trying to push through a deal for the 26-year-old but have failed to come up with a package to satisfy Chelsea.

And now PSG have declared an interest and have proposed taking Bakayoko on loan this season with the option of making it a permanent move next summer.

Chelsea value the midfielder at £32m – and are seeking a £4.6m loan fee with the remaining £27.4m to be paid as the full transfer fee.



Milan have said they have no problem with the loan figure, but say they are only prepared to pay a further £18.3m in a year to seal a permanent deal.

That is not acceptable to the Blues, who are looking to claw back more of the money they paid Monaco for his services in 2017.

But if PSG were to come up with a deal which goes anywhere close to their valuation, then the London club would be happy to do business before the window shuts on October 5.

Bakayoko initially arrived at Stamford Bridge to much fanfare, having helped Monaco to the Ligue 1 title and Champions League semi-finals in 2017.

But he struggled to make an impact as Antonio Conte’s champions slumped to a disappointing fifth-placed finish.

Bakayoko represented AC Milan on loan in the 2018-19 season

3

Bakayoko represented AC Milan on loan in the 2018-19 seasonCredit: AFP or licensors

The Frenchman did help the Blues to FA Cup glory that year as they beat Manchester United under the Wembley arch.

But that was his last competitive game for the club – although he did briefly resurface during pre-season in 2019.

Bakayoko has since represented AC Milan and AS Monaco while out on loan over the last two seasons.

Bakayoko helped Chelsea to FA Cup glory in 2018

3

Bakayoko helped Chelsea to FA Cup glory in 2018Credit: Jamie McPhilimey – The Sun
Chelsea flop Bakayoko forgets his shirt number and mistakenly think he’s being subbed

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Sports

Dillian Whyte breaks down how he will beat Alexander Povetkin in blockbuster rematch fight after brutal KO loss

Published

on

By

dillian whyte breaks down how he will beat alexander povetkin in blockbuster rematch fight after brutal ko loss

DILLIAN WHYTE says he knows ‘exactly what to do’ to beat Alexander Povetkin in the November rematch.

The Brixton boxer was shocked to the core as he was knocked out cold by the Russian veteran on August 22.

Dillian Whyte gets his chance of revenge against Alexander Povetkin on November 21

2

Dillian Whyte gets his chance of revenge against Alexander Povetkin on November 21
Dillian Whyte says he knows 'exactly' how to beat Alexander Povetkin in the rematch after he was KO'd in their first fight

2

Dillian Whyte says he knows ‘exactly’ how to beat Alexander Povetkin in the rematch after he was KO’d in their first fightCredit: Mark Robinson Ltd

Whyte had earlier floored Povetkin twice and was comfortably ahead on the scorecards.

But the former WBA heavyweight champ delivered a brutal fifth-round uppercut that flattened Whyte to end the contest.

That saw Povetkin, 41, become only the second boxer to beat Whyte after Anthony Joshua stopped his big rival back in 2015.

The rematch will take place on November 21, and Whyte is in bullish mood as he plots his revenge.

Speaking to Sky Sports, the 32-year-old said: “It’s not a fight that I got a sustained beating for five rounds, or I was down on the scorecards or I was getting beat up or outclassed.

“It was one of those where I got caught with a punch, he set it up, used his experience and I got caught.

“Moving forward, it’s just correcting little technical things really. I had seven amateur fights and 29 pro fights, I am still learning and figuring things out, still adjusting to things.

“One of my strengths is I adjust to things in the fights as they go on, but this time I never had the chance to adjust. I got caught, and never had the chance to make the adjustment.

“Now we watch it back, re-evaluate, and I see the little adjustments I need to make. And to be honest, now I know exactly what I need to do.”

Sky Sports pundit and former boxing world champ Johnny Nelson believes the defeat could prove to be ‘a godsend’.

“I actually think it might be a good thing.

“Now, after being knocked out, other fighters will think that’s twice now at this level.

“That’s the same shot that he’s been knocked out with – I’ll have some of that.

“So that vulnerability makes him more enticing.

“I think for Dillian Whyte, him losing might actually be a godsend because when he was winning and winning and winning, people thought ‘nah, I don’t want any of that.’”

Dillian Whyte’s coach reveals incredible reaction to shock Povetkin KO that left him asking ‘What’s happened?’

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.