Connect with us

Sports

The EFL HAVE asked top-flight clubs for a financial rescue package

Published

on

The Football League have asked top-flight clubs for financial assistance on a number of occasions, despite claims from Premier League chief executive Richard Masters on Tuesday that the subject has not been discussed.

Sportsmail can reveal EFL executives have repeatedly made it clear in their fortnightly meetings with the Premier League that a rescue package will be needed to prevent dozens of clubs going bust later this year.

Masters’ insistence when speaking to the Digital, Culture Media and Sport select committee that the Premier League have not been approached by the EFL took them by surprise on Tuesday.

The EFL have asked top-flight clubs for financial assistance on a number of occasions

The EFL have asked top-flight clubs for financial assistance on a number of occasions

The EFL have asked top-flight clubs for financial assistance on a number of occasions

Premier League chief Richard Masters claimed the subject had not been discussed on Tuesday

Premier League chief Richard Masters claimed the subject had not been discussed on Tuesday

Premier League chief Richard Masters claimed the subject had not been discussed on Tuesday

Not least as the Government stressed that a top-flight bailout for lower-league clubs was a prerequisite to their support for Project Restart.

EFL chief executive Rick Parry has warned of a £200million black hole in clubs’ finances caused by the coronavirus pandemic, a sum which will increase if fans are not permitted to attend matches by the end of September.

As a result, the EFL are understood to be asking for a £250m package payable over the next four years – fitting with the time left on their domestic television contract. The Premier League are yet to commit.

EFL chief executive Rick Parry has warned of a £200million black hole in club's finances

EFL chief executive Rick Parry has warned of a £200million black hole in club's finances

EFL chief executive Rick Parry has warned of a £200million black hole in club’s finances

‘We haven’t had a specific approach from the EFL or talked about a specific instrument,’ Masters said.

‘We meet the EFL every week but it hasn’t been a topic of discussion. There’s been talk of a reset but we’re in rescue mode. That is for a later date.’

In his own appearance before the DCMS select committee on May 5, Parry made it clear that financial assistance for the lower leagues was required.

The Premier League’s position has always been that they would engage with the EFL once the season resumed but since the restart two weeks ago little progress has been made. 

Several Premier League clubs are proposing scrapping the League Cup for the rescue package

Several Premier League clubs are proposing scrapping the League Cup for the rescue package

Several Premier League clubs are proposing scrapping the League Cup for the rescue package

As Sportsmail revealed last month, several Premier League clubs are proposing the abolition of the League Cup as the price of a rescue package.

Given that the competition is responsible for around a third of the EFL’s TV deal, that would lead to them asking for even more compensation.

‘The Premier League have said if they’re allowed to play, then they will be in a position to talk to us about support for the lower leagues,’ Parry said in May. ‘We await that day.’

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cadiz dish out 10,000 free season tickets for next season after their promotion to LaLiga

Published

on

By

Cadiz have reportedly dished out 10,000 free season tickets for their 2020-21 campaign, after a promise made by club president Manuel Vizcaino earlier in the season if the club got promoted to LaLiga

The south coast club’s promotion to the Spanish top-tier was confirmed on Sunday, when Real Zaragoza were beaten 4-2 by Real Oviedo in the Segunda División.

Next season will be Cadiz’s first involvement in LaLiga since 2006, and the president has rewarded loyal supporters by keeping his promise on ticket-price reductions for next season, as per Spanish outlet Marca.  

Cadiz supporters celebrate the club's promotion to LaLiga in rapturous scenes on Sunday

Cadiz supporters celebrate the club's promotion to LaLiga in rapturous scenes on Sunday

Cadiz supporters celebrate the club’s promotion to LaLiga in rapturous scenes on Sunday

Cadiz will take their place in Spanish football's top-tier for the first time in 14 years

Cadiz will take their place in Spanish football's top-tier for the first time in 14 years

Cadiz will take their place in Spanish football’s top-tier for the first time in 14 years

The report details that of the 16,000 season ticket holders at the club, around 10,000 met the threshold of attending every home league game open to the public this season, which was 15 games. 

In addition, those who missed just one game will be entitled to a 75 per cent reduction to their season ticket next season. 

Those who missed two games will receive a 50 per cent reduction and anyone who missed three matches will receive a 25 per cent reduction to their season ticket. 

Supporters celebrated with fireworks at the Puertas de la Tierra fountain in Cadiz

Supporters celebrated with fireworks at the Puertas de la Tierra fountain in Cadiz

Supporters celebrated with fireworks at the Puertas de la Tierra fountain in Cadiz

The players were also photographed celebrating their promotion from the Segunda Division

The players were also photographed celebrating their promotion from the Segunda Division

The players were also photographed celebrating their promotion from the Segunda Division

Fans were out celebrating on Sunday night after their promotion was confirmed, with many earlier defying social distancing measures to congregate outside the club’s stadium.

Though Cadiz blew their chance to seal promotion on the pitch after a 1-0 defeat against Fuenlabrada, Oviedo did the job for them. 

Cadiz, who last won promotion to La Liga in 2005 but were relegated the following year, lead the second division standings on 69 points after 40 games, with Huesca second on 64 points and Zaragoza third on 62 points.  

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardiola and Mourinho combined couldn’t help Arsenal!’: Paul Merson worries over basic errors

Published

on

By

Former Arsenal and England star Paul Merson claims that the Gunners will fail to succeed if they do not correct their basic errors.

Merson says that the combination of Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger could not help them if the players ‘can’t pass the ball five yards’.

The 52-year-old also worries that players have become too focused on their statistics, rather than playing the game that is in front of them.

Paul Merson believes that Arsenal make too many basic errors to be successful in the league

Paul Merson believes that Arsenal make too many basic errors to be successful in the league

Paul Merson believes that Arsenal make too many basic errors to be successful in the league 

Mikel Arteta’s side were most recently beaten 2-1 by Tottenham after initially taking the lead through Alexandre Lacazette’s excellent strike.

Though Tottenham prevailed, with Son Heung-min and Toby Alderweireld scoring due to a lack of defensive judgement by Tottenham on both occasions.

Arsenal’s back three – Shkodran Mustafi, David Luiz and Sead Kolasinac – endured a difficult afternoon.

Though Merson believes it is a common occurrence for Arteta’s men, telling Sky Sports: ‘Against Spurs, I don’t care if you’ve got Pep Guardiola sitting on Jose Mourinho’s lap, on top of Sir Alex Ferguson’s lap, on top of Arsene Wenger’s lap and all four of them are one manager: if you’ve got a defender who can’t pass the ball five yards to another defender, you are in trouble.

‘When the manager puts on a training session and you’re doing five-yard passes to start off with, everybody is moaning: “What the hell are we doing this for? Who can’t pass the ball five yards?” But that is why.

Merson says Arsenal defenders such as Shkodran Mustafi are unable to pass the ball five yards

Merson says Arsenal defenders such as Shkodran Mustafi are unable to pass the ball five yards

Merson says Arsenal defenders such as Shkodran Mustafi are unable to pass the ball five yards

He believes that even the best Premier League managers combined would not be able to help

He believes that even the best Premier League managers combined would not be able to help

He believes that even the best Premier League managers combined would not be able to help

‘It’s concentration, so you can keep on doing it without even thinking about it, like you’re brushing your teeth in the morning.

‘Footballers are so obsessed with pass percentages. Defenders want 88, 89, 90 per cent pass completion, but they’re all five-yard passes to each other! Who cares? Honestly?

‘There are so many stats now, and players are scared of them, so try to play the easy ball!

‘All these players should care about is keeping clean sheets: that should be like scoring a hat-trick for a defender. You want defenders who think that way.’

Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger were those mentioned

Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger were those mentioned

Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger were those mentioned

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Leroy Sane trains with Bayern Munich for first time and continues injury recovery after £55m transfer from Man City

Published

on

By

BAYERN MUNICH got to see their new man in action for the first time on Monday as Leroy Sane completed his first training session.

The rapid winger was put through his paces with coaches as they prepare to get him match fit after a injury-riddled campaign.

Leroy Sane has undergone his first training session at Bayern

6

Leroy Sane has undergone his first training session at BayernCredit: Getty Images – Getty
The winger completed his £55m move to Bayern earlier this month

6

The winger completed his £55m move to Bayern earlier this monthCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Sane, who completed his £55million move to Bayern on July 2, has only seen 11 minutes of action this season following a knee ligament injury picked up in August.

But the 24-year-old will be hoping to get back on the pitch before the end of the campaign with two matches still remaining in the Bundesliga.

He will not be able to feature in the Champions League this season.

Sane finally signed a five-year deal with the Bavarian champions 12 months after the club were forced to delay their pursuit of the winger.

Bayern were desperate to sign him last summer but Man City dug in their heels with a £130m asking price before Sane picked up his injury.

With a contract at City until 2021, Sane refused to put pen-to-paper meaning the club were forced to cash in at a cut-price fee.

Former Bayern forward Lukas Podolski believes his old club have pulled off a real coup and insists the best of Sane is yet to come.

Speaking to Goal, he said: “They get the best players [at Bayern] and Sane is a great player.

“[But] of course he still has further potential.

“He has not yet reached the top level. He still needs a bit more experience, a few more seasons.

“He needs to play regularly with the national team and win a European championship or a World Cup.”

Meanwhile Sane could line up against Man City in the Champions League next season after their two-ban was overturned.

Sane will be able to feature in Bayern's last two matches

6

Sane will be able to feature in Bayern’s last two matchesCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Sane has seen just 11 minutes of league action this season

6

Sane has seen just 11 minutes of league action this seasonCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Sane was put through his paces during his first session

6

Sane was put through his paces during his first sessionCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Sane will not be able to feature in the Champions League this season

6

Sane will not be able to feature in the Champions League this seasonCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Pep Guardiola’s side were slapped with a two-year European suspension and fined £25million for breaching FFP rules in February.

But now City have scored a major victory by winning their audacious appeal.

The stunning verdict throws the entire Financial Fair Play regime into chaos.

Man City’s two-year Champions League ban OVERTURNED by CAS

Powered by: The Sun

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.