Connect with us

Sports

Unnamed female player set to play in Palermo Ladies Open tests POSITIVE for coronavirus

Published

on

unnamed female player set to play in palermo ladies open tests positive for coronavirus

A player has tested positive for Covid-19 at the Ladies Palermo Open, the first professional tournament to be held since sport was halted in March. 

A strong line-up including top-20 players Petra Martic, Marketa Vondrousova and Maria Sakkari are at the event. 

Sportsmail understands the player who tested positive is not in the main draw of the singles.  

An unnamed player has tested positive for Covid-19 at the Ladies Palermo Open

An unnamed player has tested positive for Covid-19 at the Ladies Palermo Open

An unnamed player has tested positive for Covid-19 at the Ladies Palermo Open

The WTA says the tournament will proceed as scheduled, although the unnamed player has withdrawn and is in isolation.

A WTA statement read: ‘A player has tested positive for Covid-19 and has subsequently withdrawn from the tournament. The player is asymptomatic. 

‘Following this information, the WTA, in coordination with the tournament infection control officer and along with its medical advisors and infectious disease specialist from the Mayo Clinic, immediately put its COVID-19 response plan into action. 

Petra Martic is one of several top-20 players set to play at the event, which is still going ahead

Petra Martic is one of several top-20 players set to play at the event, which is still going ahead

Petra Martic is one of several top-20 players set to play at the event, which is still going ahead

‘Any individual who tests positive will remain in isolation until cleared by a physician per the established protocols, and will receive proper medical treatment. 

‘In addition, all those who may have been in close contact with the individual are undergoing testing per WTA protocols. The 31st Ladies Open will continue as planned.’

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

FC Copenhagen boss Stale Solbakken believes Anthony Martial DIVED to win the decisive penalty

Published

on

By

fc copenhagen boss stale solbakken believes anthony martial dived to win the decisive penalty

FC Copenhagen manager Stale Solbakken admitted his players should have taken a leaf out of Anthony Martial‘s book and gone down easier in the penalty area during Monday’s Europa League quarter-final defeat against Manchester United.

Martial won the decisive penalty in the first-half of extra-time when he went down under the challenge of Copenhagen defender Andreas Bjelland, with Bruno Fernandes converting what proved to be the match-winning spot kick.  

However, while Solbakken was proud of his players, he took a swipe at French forward Martial for not staying on his feet, even adding that his players could have been smarter at points in the match and followed suit.  

Anthony Martial went down under the challenge of Andreas Bjelland to win the penalty

Anthony Martial went down under the challenge of Andreas Bjelland to win the penalty

Anthony Martial went down under the challenge of Andreas Bjelland to win the penalty

FC Copenhagen boss Stale Solbakken felt as though his players could have gone down easier

FC Copenhagen boss Stale Solbakken felt as though his players could have gone down easier

FC Copenhagen boss Stale Solbakken felt as though his players could have gone down easier

‘If my players had been a little bit more clinical they could have gone down and got a penalty,’ Solbakken told beIN SPORTS

‘You can’t encourage them to go down. It’s a fine balance between being too honest. I don’t think Martial tried to stay on his feet for too long. But that’s life and it can be given. 

‘This game is not about penalties. This game is about a Scandinavian team with players who have never played at this level, and make a real performance and it’s quite a good 90 minutes.

‘United win because they win the first 15 minutes of extra-time.’ 

Martial won the penalty which was converted by Bruno Fernandes to send Man United through

Martial won the penalty which was converted by Bruno Fernandes to send Man United through

Martial won the penalty which was converted by Bruno Fernandes to send Man United through

Martial was praised after the quarter-final victory for his performance, with Owen Hargreaves describing him as ‘a Ferrari – he just looked like a £100million player.’

His BT Sport colleague, Paul Scholes, added: ‘He’s turning into a No 9 more and more every game I watch. 

‘He’s normally a brilliant finisher but tonight the finishing wasn’t quite there.’  

Owen Hargreaves was full of praise for Martial in the BT Sport studio, hailing his recent form

Owen Hargreaves was full of praise for Martial in the BT Sport studio, hailing his recent form

Owen Hargreaves was full of praise for Martial in the BT Sport studio, hailing his recent form 

Completing a trio of Martial admirers in the studio, former United striker Robin van Persie said: ‘Martial always haw an eye for his team-mates and that’s what sets him apart from the others. 

‘That’s why I think he’s a world class player.’

United’s victory means they will face either Wolves or Sevilla in the one-legged semi-final on Sunday night in Cologne. 

Martial's form has been unstoppable since football resumed, scoring eight goals in 13 games

Martial's form has been unstoppable since football resumed, scoring eight goals in 13 games

Martial’s form has been unstoppable since football resumed, scoring eight goals in 13 games

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer news LIVE: Chelsea make ambitious swoop for Vinicius Junior

Published

on

By

transfer news live chelsea make ambitious swoop for vinicius junior
31814920 0 image a 11 1597140169937

The heat is on, not just with the weather but also in the transfer market as many Premier League clubs have turned their attention to strengthening their squads ahead of the new season.

But even those that still haven’t completed the last campaign including Manchester United and Wolves, who are still scrapping it out in Europe, still have one eye on the market. 

Follow all of Tuesday’s transfer news and updates as it happens with Sportsmail’s DAN RIPLEY  below.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Daniel Cormier reveals dramatic weight loss ahead of trilogy title bout with Stipe Miocic at UFC 252

Published

on

By

daniel cormier reveals dramatic weight loss ahead of trilogy title bout with stipe miocic at ufc 252

Daniel Cormier has given fans a sneak peak into his dramatic weight loss journey as he makes the final preparations ahead of his third and final title fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 252.

The American heavyweight posted a before-and-after video on his social media pages, showcasing the progression he has made ahead of this Saturday’s main event.

Cormier, who is known to love his food, had packed on the pounds during the off-season, with the before segment of his post showcasing an out-of-shape and unfit version of himself sweating it out on the treadmill.

Daniel Cormier looked out of shape and unfit back in April in the 'before' segment of his transformation video

Daniel Cormier looked out of shape and unfit back in April in the 'before' segment of his transformation video

Now, only days away from UFC 252, Cormier look fresh and ready to face Stipe Miocic

Now, only days away from UFC 252, Cormier look fresh and ready to face Stipe Miocic

Daniel Cormier has given fans a sneak peak into his weight loss journey ahead of UFC 252

However, the 41-year-old looks revitalised and ready to go months later in the after segment, showing off his progress during lockdown. 

‘Quick peek into my journey from April to now,’ Cormier wrote. ‘I was on that big boy diet, but today I feel ready to go. It was tough but we got back into shape and ready to fight.’

While fans weren’t given a full side-by-side comparison of his weight-loss progress, it’s clear to see that the former two-division world champion is in tip-top shape for his trilogy bout with Miocic. 

Cormier (left) and Stipe Miocic (right) will go head-to-head for a third time on Saturday night

Cormier (left) and Stipe Miocic (right) will go head-to-head for a third time on Saturday night

Cormier (left) and Stipe Miocic (right) will go head-to-head for a third time on Saturday night

The heavyweight pair will headline this Saturday’s card, with each man holding a victory over the other.

Cormier knocked out his compatriot at UFC 226 in 2018 before Miocic reclaimed his belt in their rematch at UFC 241 over a year later.

However, ‘DC’ is intent on winning the heavyweight title back and settling the score once and for all this weekend.

‘The last fight was a good fight. I started well and he made adjustments and got the victory. But, by no means do I look at that fight and think there are areas I can’t fix,’ Cormier said on UFC Embedded

Cormier won the heavyweight title after knocking out Miocic at UFC 226 in July 2018

Cormier won the heavyweight title after knocking out Miocic at UFC 226 in July 2018

Cormier won the heavyweight title after knocking out Miocic at UFC 226 in July 2018

‘I plan to use more of my wrestling, I’ve worked a lifetime to acquire these skills, and I kind of went away from that fight. Does that mean I am going to eliminate or avoid striking? No way. That was a very competitive fight.

‘So, by no means can I not stand and fight Stipe Miocic for 25 minutes. The smarter way to get my hand raised is to use all my tools,’ Cormier continued. 

‘I expect a very tough, I expect Stipe to be in great shape. I expect him to believe that he is going to go out and win. The reality is I am going to smash him. I’m going to win this fight, I’m going to do my thing like I’ve done so many times and get my hand raised.’ 

But Miocic reclaimed his title in the rematch at UFC 241 over a year later in California

But Miocic reclaimed his title in the rematch at UFC 241 over a year later in California

But Miocic reclaimed his title in the rematch at UFC 241 over a year later in California

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.