Connect with us

Sports

West Ham target Said Benrahma and will sell flops Yarmolenko, Anderson and Ajeti to fund it

Published

on

west ham target said benrahma and will sell flops yarmolenko anderson and ajeti to fund it

West Ham will join the race for Said Benrahma if Brentford fail to be promoted to the Premier League, according to reports.

David Moyes will be given the chance to rebuild the Hammers‘ squad this coming window after saving them from relegation again – having been appointed for a second time earlier this season. 

He will put expensive acquisitions up for sale to raise funds, including £17.5million winger Andriy Yarmolenko, £40m Felipe Anderson and £8m flop Albian Ajeti.

West Ham will join the race for Said Benrahma if Brentford fail to be promoted to the top flight

West Ham will join the race for Said Benrahma if Brentford fail to be promoted to the top flight

West Ham will join the race for Said Benrahma if Brentford fail to be promoted to the top flight

David Moyes will be given the chance to rebuild the Hammers' squad this coming window

David Moyes will be given the chance to rebuild the Hammers' squad this coming window

David Moyes will be given the chance to rebuild the Hammers’ squad this coming window

According to the Mirror, he will use that money for Benrahma, although there will be stiff competition for the 17-goal Brentford winger. The likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Leeds are thought to be keen.

The 24-year-old has starred but the Bees missed out on automatic promotion on the last day after losing to Barnsley – a win would have sent them up in West Brom’s place. They now face Swansea in the play-offs.

Manuel Pellegrini was given £100m to build a side after Moyes kept them up, only to see his side at risk of the drop this season. 

The Scot is hoping to develop a younger side and is eyeing Championship or proven Premier League players.

Moyes will be willing to let the likes of Andriy Yarmolenko leave in the coming window

Moyes will be willing to let the likes of Andriy Yarmolenko leave in the coming window

Moyes will be willing to let the likes of Andriy Yarmolenko leave in the coming window

After the success of Tomas Soucek and Jarrod Bowen, who signed from Hull City, Moyes is reportedly trusted by the West Ham board.  

He would also be keen on QPR winger Eberechi Eze – Moyes is reported to have watched him a number of times.

Eze scored a stunning goal on the last night of the season against West Brom. QPR are thought to value him at around £20m.

But they could let the winger go for less in order to let him live out his dream of playing in the Premier League. 

He would also look to move on Brazilian winger Felipe Anderson to fund other moves

He would also look to move on Brazilian winger Felipe Anderson to fund other moves

He would also look to move on Brazilian winger Felipe Anderson to fund other moves

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Rory McIlroy’s final round horror show at the US Open sees six-year barren run extend

Published

on

By

rory mcilroys final round horror show at the us open sees six year barren run

Rory McIlroy’s 21st major championship since his last victory came and went last night with him no nearer to finding the key to unlocking his six-year drought.

The Northern Irishman began the final round six shots off the lead held by young American Matt Wolff, buoyed by his third-round 68. ‘I’m right in it,’ he declared on Saturday night.

On Sky Sports, Paul McGinley pointed out he would need help from the leader to have a chance, a valid argument that presumed McIlroy would actually help himself. 

Rory McIlroy's draught continued at the US Open, looking no more likely to break it

Rory McIlroy's draught continued at the US Open, looking no more likely to break it

Rory McIlroy’s draught continued at the US Open, looking no more likely to break it 

The Northern Irishman began his final round within reach of victory but threw it away again

The Northern Irishman began his final round within reach of victory but threw it away again

The Northern Irishman began his final round within reach of victory but threw it away again 

The hope he could do that lasted not much longer than his opening drive, which split the fairway.

Thereafter, it was a nervous horror show with the club that has let him down so often in the past. He had just a wedge but the result left him a nightmare opening putt over one of Winged Foot’s most treacherous slopes. 

He would need four in all to complete the hole for a calamitous double bogey.

McIlroy holed gutsy putts on the next two holes for pars, but then came the fourth. Another wedge approach. Another one undercooked. Another bogey. Three strokes gone from two wedge approaches.

At the short seventh, McIlroy had another short iron in his hands and again wrote down another bogey. Game over. Once more he kept fighting, with birdies at the ninth and 11th, but the damage had been done.

As Bryson DeChambeau waltzed to victory McIlroy will be wondering what could have been

As Bryson DeChambeau waltzed to victory McIlroy will be wondering what could have been

As Bryson DeChambeau waltzed to victory McIlroy will be wondering what could have been 

By the time Wolff walked to the first tee to join Bryson DeChambeau, it was quite plain this was going to be a typical final US Open round, with the course taken to the edge and pars things of beauty on virtually every hole. 

The two leaders received plenty of criticism on Saturday night for the fact the stats showed they didn’t hit too many fairways, but much of it was over the top.

Wolff missed at least six fairways by no more than the length of his driver, which was pretty good for a man who’s the longest hitter of all.

Given the havoc wreaked by the opening hole, how would the leaders fare? Two boomers down the middle followed by two wonderful approach shots. It wasn’t just off the tee where the two leaders were playing a different game.

The first five holes are some of the most nerve-shredding on the course and DeChambeau played them superbly. Wolff played them pretty well, too, missing just one fairway during that stretch but spilling two shots.

McIlroy's final round was full of nerves as he fell further back from the leaders in New York

McIlroy's final round was full of nerves as he fell further back from the leaders in New York

McIlroy’s final round was full of nerves as he fell further back from the leaders in New York

That was all his playing partner needed not only to wipe out the two shots that separated them at the start but take a one-stroke lead.

The par-five ninth, the only breather hole on the course, was quite something. Two more great drives from the pair, with DeChambeau hitting his approach to 40ft and rolling in the eagle putt. Wolff’s response was exquisite, hitting his short iron to 20ft and rolling in an eagle putt of his own. Talk about setting up the final nine.

It was DeChambeau who kept the hammer down, going two in front when Wolff bogeyed the 10th and three ahead with a birdie at the 11th.

There was only one player on the course who was under par and DeChambeau was three under for his round. What a transformation in DeChambeau, and not just in physique. 

He came into this majors season with barely a performance in the Grand Slam events worthy of the name.

McIlroy kept fighting to the end but the damage was done by the seventh hole on Sunday

McIlroy kept fighting to the end but the damage was done by the seventh hole on Sunday

McIlroy kept fighting to the end but the damage was done by the seventh hole on Sunday 

Then came the US PGA Championship last month where he finished tied fourth. Add those four rounds to the first three here, and the 27-year-old American had still to sign for an over-par round. There was no evidence over the first 11 holes the streak was ending. 

Sweet swinging South African Louis Oosthuizen, who has won one Open and finished runner-up in the other three majors, began four shots off the lead. The trick was clearly to stealthily track the leaders, but he was a couple over par after 11 and losing touch.

Xander Schauffele, the quiet fancy of so many, was gamely hanging around. He barely hit a shot over the opening nine holes but that wand of a putter was working its magic once more. He was still six off the pace, mind.

Meanwhile, Bryson DeChambeau proved all his doubters wrong with an incredible round

Meanwhile, Bryson DeChambeau proved all his doubters wrong with an incredible round

Meanwhile, Bryson DeChambeau proved all his doubters wrong with an incredible round 

McIlroy was not alone in getting off to an horrendous start. Hideki Matsuyama is another with plenty of baggage in trying to become the first player from Japan to win a major. He began five shots off the lead but started double bogey-bogey-bogey-bogey.

American Harris English was another five off the pace but quickly seven adrift after losing a ball down the opening hole.

He showed spirit to recover both shots but, like everyone else, went into the final holes staring up at the leaderboard, seeing DeChambeau’s name and shaking his head at his wonder score.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

CHRIS SUTTON: Kepa Arrizabalaga is Chelsea’s biggest flop… since me!

Published

on

By

chris sutton kepa arrizabalaga is chelseas biggest flop since me

You can spend a king’s ransom on your attack but if your goalkeeper can’t even catch a cold, then what’s the point?

Kepa Arrizabalaga cost Chelsea £71.6million in 2018 but has never proven worthy of being the world’s most expensive goalkeeper. In committing another clanger he further established himself as Chelsea’s worst value signing in the Premier League era.

Maybe their worst since I cost them £10m! I moved to Stamford Bridge for big money in 1999. It didn’t work out and a year later I was sold to Celtic for £6m.

Kepa Arrizabalaga cost Chelsea £71.6million but has failed to live up to his hefty price tag

Kepa Arrizabalaga cost Chelsea £71.6million but has failed to live up to his hefty price tag

Kepa Arrizabalaga cost Chelsea £71.6million but has failed to live up to his hefty price tag

The Spanish goalkeeper was at fault once again as his mistake allowed Sadio Mane to score

The Spanish goalkeeper was at fault once again as his mistake allowed Sadio Mane to score

The Spanish goalkeeper was at fault once again as his mistake allowed Sadio Mane to score

Arrizabalaga is possibly Chelsea's worst signing since I joined the club for £10m in 1999

Arrizabalaga is possibly Chelsea's worst signing since I joined the club for £10m in 1999

Arrizabalaga is possibly Chelsea’s worst signing since I joined the club for £10m in 1999

It happens. Sometimes it’s best to move on. You could also name Fernando Torres at £50m (though a few Chelsea fans might say that historic semi-final goal against Barcelona was worth the fee alone). Andriy Shevchenko at £30m, too. But Kepa surely beats all of us. Sadio Mane’s goals on Sunday meant he had conceded 11 of the last 16 shots he’s faced.

In football, you always get a chance to redeem yourself. I got that at Celtic, and Kepa might have to go prove himself elsewhere, too. Edouard Mendy cannot arrive from Rennes soon enough for Frank Lampard, who is under big pressure to win a trophy this season. 

Chelsea aren’t the type of club who say: ‘No problem – have another go next season!’ Lampard knows as well as anyone that silverware is a must. Though Kepa gave him a gift, we have to applaud Sadio Mane’s endeavour. He was furious with himself for losing the ball. Then five seconds later, he was intercepting Kepa’s attempt at a pass and scoring to make it 2-0.

The defending champions flexed their muscles here. After last week’s narrow win over Leeds, they followed it up with a strong performance at Stamford Bridge.

In football, you always get the chance to redeem yourself, and Kepa can do that elsewhere

In football, you always get the chance to redeem yourself, and Kepa can do that elsewhere

In football, you always get the chance to redeem yourself, and Kepa can do that elsewhere

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Sports

Clubs may turn their back on the FA Cup due to rising Covid-19 infections

Published

on

By

clubs may turn their back on the fa cup due to rising covid 19 infections

There are growing concerns about the viability and integrity of this season’s FA Cup due to rising Covid-19 infection rates and fears clubs could prioritise league fixtures in the event of mass postponements.

Sportsmail has learned that five clubs have withdrawn from the competition due to virus issues ahead of the first qualifying round, which begins on Monday with 117 knockout ties taking place this week. The FA are awarding byes to their opponents.

The FA ensured the 2019-20 competition was played to completion after lockdown despite the congested nature of Project Restart, with Arsenal lifting the trophy at a deserted Wembley last month.

There are growing concerns about the viability and integrity of this seasons's FA Cup

There are growing concerns about the viability and integrity of this seasons's FA Cup

There are growing concerns about the viability and integrity of this seasons’s FA Cup 

There are fears of mass postponements due to the current rising Covid-19 infection rate

There are fears of mass postponements due to the current rising Covid-19 infection rate

There are fears of mass postponements due to the current rising Covid-19 infection rate

The competition had reached the quarter-final stage before lockdown, however, so finishing it only involved seven matches.

However, ensuring this season’s FA Cup is completed against a backdrop of rising infections and local lockdowns will present far greater logistical challenges.

There are four qualifying rounds involving 301 teams scheduled over the next four weeks, before League One and League Two clubs enter in the first round proper in November, with little room in the schedule to rearrange fixtures in the event of postponements.

To compound matters, several clubs have told Sportsmail that league fixtures will be given priority over cup engagements in the event of congestion, which will increase if all three divisions of the National League begin their seasons as planned next month.

The FA are determined to keep their flagship competition on course if at all possible

The FA are determined to keep their flagship competition on course if at all possible

The FA are determined to keep their flagship competition on course if at all possible

The FA are determined to keep their flagship competition on course if at all possible.

As a result they will award byes to clubs whose opponents are unable to fulfil fixtures due to positive Covid-19 tests, or opt not to pay. The prize money on offer is significant to the small clubs involved even in the early stages, with the winners of this week’s ties getting a payout of £2,250 each.

Any disruption to the Cup once the Football League clubs enter in November would have grave financial consequences for the governing body. The FA, whose income has already been hit by the pandemic, receive £340 million a year in TV rights for the competition from domestic and overseas broadcasters, who could demand rebates if matches are cancelled.

Powered by: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DiazHub.