Connect with us

News

Hero boy, 13, says mom screamed to get down in Mormon massacre

Published

on

The hero teen boy who saved his injured siblings by walked 13 miles for help after drug cartel gunmen opened fire on their car says his mother screamed for them all to get down just moments before she was killed. 

Devin Langford, 13, has been hailed a hero for hiding his injured siblings under branches and then walking for hours to get help from their Mormon community, La Mora, in Sonora state last week. 

His mother Dawna Langford and two of his brothers, Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2, were among the nine Americans killed when gunmen opened fire on their vehicles.

Speaking for the first time since the attack, an emotional Devin told ABC News that he recalls the gunmen having long guns and said they were wearing vests. 

He said his mother screamed for him and his siblings to ‘get right down’ when the gunmen started shooting. 

Devin Langford, 13, and his father David spoke to ABC News about the massacre that killed Dawna Langford and her two sons, Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2, in Mexico last week

Devin Langford, 13, and his father David spoke to ABC News about the massacre that killed Dawna Langford and her two sons, Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2, in Mexico last week

Devin Langford, 13, and his father David spoke to ABC News about the massacre that killed Dawna Langford and her two sons, Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2, in Mexico last week

Devin, who is set to detail the attack in full in a Good Morning America interview on Monday, was hailed as a hero by his grieving father David Langford.   

‘He’s really a hero, he definitely saved his little brothers and sisters. I think he did it because of his love for them,’ David told ABC News. 

An emotional Devin said his mother screamed for him and his siblings to get down when gunmen started firing at their vehicle

An emotional Devin said his mother screamed for him and his siblings to get down when gunmen started firing at their vehicle

An emotional Devin said his mother screamed for him and his siblings to get down when gunmen started firing at their vehicle

‘My boy’s a hero simply because he gave his life for his brothers and sisters.

‘Every one of my children that survived that are living miracles.

‘How many bullet holes were fired into that vehicle… at that horrific scene and how many children were involved. It’s amazing. It’s amazing. It’s beyond amazing that they survived.’ 

The family buried Dawna and her two sons in La Mora on Thursday. 

‘The toughest part for me was saying goodbye… saying goodbye to two innocent lives that were cut short and a vibrant wife that lived a life to its fullest that had many friends and and was loved by all by everybody,’ he said. 

David said he has since made the heartbreaking decision to leave the community with his surviving children in the wake of the attack because it is ‘not worth living in fear’.

‘So now it’s my whole life has turned upside down. Not only have I lost a wife and two children, but I’m having to move the rest of my family with really no place to go at this point,’ he said.

Devin (center in red shirt) helped carry a coffin during the funeral service last Thursday for his mother and two brothers

Devin (center in red shirt) helped carry a coffin during the funeral service last Thursday for his mother and two brothers

Devin (center in red shirt) helped carry a coffin during the funeral service last Thursday for his mother and two brothers

The family buried Dawna and her two sons in La Mora on Thursday. David is pictured above being comforted by relatives during the funeral service

The family buried Dawna and her two sons in La Mora on Thursday. David is pictured above being comforted by relatives during the funeral service

The family buried Dawna and her two sons in La Mora on Thursday. David is pictured above being comforted by relatives during the funeral service

A mourner holds a rememberance card at the funeral ceremony for Dawna Ray Langford, 43, and her sons Trevor and Rogan, who were among nine victims killed

A mourner holds a rememberance card at the funeral ceremony for Dawna Ray Langford, 43, and her sons Trevor and Rogan, who were among nine victims killed

A mourner holds a rememberance card at the funeral ceremony for Dawna Ray Langford, 43, and her sons Trevor and Rogan, who were among nine victims killed

‘I believe in forgiveness, but I also believe in justice and forgiveness doesn’t rob justice. You don’t get justice too much in Mexico.’ 

Five of Dawna’s children were injured in the attack and were airlifted to an Arizona hospital for treatment. 

Nine-month-old baby Brixton Langford was left with an open flesh wound when he was shot in the chest. 

David said if the bullet had struck the baby just a quarter of an inch lower it would have struck his lung.  

Kylie Langford, 14, was shot in the foot and nine-year-old Mckenzie Rayne Langford was shot in the arm. 

Eight-year-old Cody Greyson Langford was shot in the jaw and four-year-old Xander was shot in the back. 

Also killed in the attack was Christina Marie Langford Johnson and Rhonita Miller and her four children – six-month-old twins, Titus and Tiana, her 10-year-old daughter Krystal and 12-year-old son Howard. 

Men were spotted digging a mass grave on Thursday in La Mora ahead of the funeral for Dawna and her sons

Men were spotted digging a mass grave on Thursday in La Mora ahead of the funeral for Dawna and her sons

Men were spotted digging a mass grave on Thursday in La Mora ahead of the funeral for Dawna and her sons

Soldiers assigned to Mexico's National Guard stand by a bullet-riddled vehicle belonging to one of the mothers gunned down in the cartel ambush that killed nine

Soldiers assigned to Mexico's National Guard stand by a bullet-riddled vehicle belonging to one of the mothers gunned down in the cartel ambush that killed nine

Soldiers assigned to Mexico’s National Guard stand by a bullet-riddled vehicle belonging to one of the mothers gunned down in the cartel ambush that killed nine

News

Flashpoint: How new medicinal cannabis regulations will change lives

Published

on

By

The WA government has announced they are making changes to allow general practitioners to be able to prescribe medicinal cannabis to the vast majority of patients.

WA health minister Roger Cook made the announcement on Monday night’s Flashpoint and the changes are set to impact the lives of many ill West Australians.

Watch the video above

Previously, patients have needed approval from a specialist as well as their GP, a requirement that has dramatically impacted waiting times to access the drug.

“We have been doing this three-year study, we have more evidence to rely upon and make a safer judgement about the availability and how people can access this important drug,” Cook told Monday night’s panel.

“I’m very pleased to announce … that we will be making changes effective immediately to allow general practitioners to be able to prescribe medicinal cannabis to the vast majority of patients.”

Cook went onto explain there would still be appropriate measures in place to safeguard vulnerable patients such as children and those who are drug dependent.

“Those vulnerable patients, those who are drug dependent and young children of course, still need the backing of a specialist,” he said.

“We will now allow general practitioners to prescribe the drug.”

The regulations

The deputy premier also revealed the government is planning to go one step further and also make changes to the regulations.

“In relation to the regulations, we have a state panel which oversights this whole process – we will disband this panel in Western Australia,” he said.

“So now general practitioners utilising the online portal will be able to provide access to this drug, to their patients within 48 hours.”

More on 7NEWS.com.au

This major announcement means that Western Australia will now be aligned with other states such as Victoria and South Australia when it comes to accessing medicinal cannabis.

The reaction

The AMA WA president Dr Andrew Miller said that while he’s happy with what he called a natural progression, they will want to see the research and trials surrounding the decision.

He also reiterated that he’s glad there are still measures to safeguard vulnerable patients in place.

“I’m pleased to see that those patients who are particularly vulnerable, there’s still that backup system of a second pair of eyes over the whole arrangement,” he said.

Fleta Solomon from Little Green Pharma called it a decision that everyone will be happy about.

“You have just changed the lives of thousands of West Australians,” she said.

The cost

While this decision will have a huge impact, Cook did point out that a lot more needs to be done about the expensive cost of the drug.

“We have a lot more work to do around the pricing, I have recently written to the health minister Greg Hunt to say look this is an issue and we need to as a nation be able to address it,” he said.

Watch Flashpoint on Monday nights on 7 at 9pm after Bride & Prejudice.

You can also join the conversation on the Flashpoint Facebook page.

Continue Reading

News

Queen’s cousin caught speeding in Porsche 

Published

on

By

The Queen’s cousin has been handed three penalty points after he was caught speeding in his Porsche.

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the 4th Marquess of Milford Haven, admitted speeding at 62mph in a 50mph zone on the M27 near Southampton, Hampshire, on May 20 this year.

The Marquess founded the internet company uSwitch, the price comparison and switching website, and sold it for more than £100 million. 

Both his son and daughter have previously appeared in court charged with speeding. 

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the 4th Marquess of Milford Haven, pictured with his wife Clare at an election night party in London in 2017

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the 4th Marquess of Milford Haven, pictured with his wife Clare at an election night party in London in 2017

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the 4th Marquess of Milford Haven, pictured with his wife Clare at an election night party in London in 2017 

He was fined £100, ordered to pay £85 costs and a £30 victim surcharge.

Three points were added to his licence.

Lord Milford Haven is the great grandson of Louis Mountbatten, the 1st Marquess of Milford Haven, who died in 1921 and was Prince Philip’s grandfather.

In 2012, the marquess’s son Lord Henry David Mountbatten, then 21, was fined for driving at 70mph in a 40mph zone in west London. 

He avoided a driving ban at the time after claiming he could not afford to take a train and a taxi to his regular flying lessons.

Last month, his daughter Lady Tatiana Mountbatten admitted a string of offences in her 2018 £50,000 Porsche Macan.

The 29-year-old accepted breaking the speed limit three times in ten days but is seeking to hold on to her license as she claims she needs the vehicle to get to equestrian events. 

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the Marquess of Milford Haven with his wife Clair Milford Haven, brother Lord Ivar and Lady Penny Mountbatten on the balcony of Buckingham Palace at Trooping the Colour in 2005

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the Marquess of Milford Haven with his wife Clair Milford Haven, brother Lord Ivar and Lady Penny Mountbatten on the balcony of Buckingham Palace at Trooping the Colour in 2005

George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, the Marquess of Milford Haven with his wife Clair Milford Haven, brother Lord Ivar and Lady Penny Mountbatten on the balcony of Buckingham Palace at Trooping the Colour in 2005 

Last month, the marquess's daughter Lady Tatiana Mountbatten (pictured) admitted a string of offences in her 2018 £50,000 Porsche Macan

Last month, the marquess's daughter Lady Tatiana Mountbatten (pictured) admitted a string of offences in her 2018 £50,000 Porsche Macan

Last month, the marquess’s daughter Lady Tatiana Mountbatten (pictured) admitted a string of offences in her 2018 £50,000 Porsche Macan

In paperwork submitted to the court Lady Tatiana claimed that she needs to be able to drive her 2018 Porsche Macan as part of her job as a dressage rider and will suffer ‘exceptional hardship’ if she loses her licence.

The car is a 2018 plate and the Macan model retails at roughly around £50,000 brand new.

Lady Tatiana’s car was first clocked driving at 70mph in a 60mph zone on March 1 on the M4 near the Heston service station, Brentford.

She was then spotted again on March 6 travelling at 71mph and once more on March 10 at 70mph.

The offences were all on the same stretch of road near the service station. Lady Tatiana, who lives in Chelsea, admitted three speeding offences. She will be sentenced on 6 December at Lavender Hill Magistrates court.

The marquess’s younger brother, Lord Ivar Alexander Michael Mountbatten, recently appeared on Bear Grylls’ TV show Treasure Island,  where contestants are dumped on a desert island and given the chance to search for money that has been hidden there.

Lord Ivar, a divorced father of three, became the first member of the Queen’s extended family to have a same-sex wedding last year.  

Continue Reading

News

Horrifying moment Russian historian, 63, ‘throws body parts into river’

Published

on

By

This CCTV footage shows a Russian military historian allegedly throwing his dead lover’s body parts into a river after murdering her at his home.  

Oleg Sokolov, 63, is believed to have shot dead his 24-year-old lover Anastasia Yeschenko before dismembering her body. 

Police say Sokolov disposed of the body parts in St Petersburg’s Moyka river before drunkenly falling into the water himself. 

He was hauled out of the river suffering from hypothermia and carrying a backpack containing a woman’s arms.  

Sokolov, a leading historian at Vladimir Putin’s former university who liked to dress as Napoleon, yesterday confessed to the murder which has shocked Russia. 

Disposal? This CCTV footage shows Russian military historian Oleg Sokolov allegedly throwing his dead lover's body parts into a river in St Petersburg

Disposal? This CCTV footage shows Russian military historian Oleg Sokolov allegedly throwing his dead lover's body parts into a river in St Petersburg

Disposal? This CCTV footage shows Russian military historian Oleg Sokolov allegedly throwing his dead lover’s body parts into a river in St Petersburg 

Couple: Oleg Sokolov, 63, is believed to have shot dead his 24-year-old lover Anastasia Yeschenko (pictured together) before dismembering her body

Couple: Oleg Sokolov, 63, is believed to have shot dead his 24-year-old lover Anastasia Yeschenko (pictured together) before dismembering her body

Couple: Oleg Sokolov, 63, is believed to have shot dead his 24-year-old lover Anastasia Yeschenko (pictured together) before dismembering her body

Accused: Oleg Sokolov is pictured in court today at the Oktyabrsky District Court

Accused: Oleg Sokolov is pictured in court today at the Oktyabrsky District Court

Accused: Oleg Sokolov is pictured in court today at the Oktyabrsky District Court 

‘He has admitted his guilt,’ Sokolov’s lawyer Alexander Pochuev said, adding he regretted what he had done and was co-operating. 

The new CCTV footage allegedly shows him throwing three packages into the icy water near his home, as an unsuspecting cyclist walks past. 

When he came back with more body parts, he fell into the river as he tried to dispose of the arms, it is claimed.  

New details today emerged in the case, with claims that the professor hosted a party in his luxury apartment with his lover’s body locked in a spare room.  

Yeschenko had been shot at least four times with a rifle after an argument, it is claimed. 

Police discovered Anastasia’s decapitated body and a blood-stained saw at the historian’s home.  

A custody hearing was due to be held today with Sokolov under criminal investigation for murder and facing a possible 15 years in prison. 

Yeschenko (pictured) had allegedly been shot at least four times with a rifle after an argument

Yeschenko (pictured) had allegedly been shot at least four times with a rifle after an argument

The victim's body and a blood-stained saw were found at the historian's home, it is claimed

The victim's body and a blood-stained saw were found at the historian's home, it is claimed

Yeschenko (pictured) had been shot at least four times with a rifle after an argument, and her decapitated body and a blood-stained saw were found at the historian’s home, it is claimed 

Sokolov was a professor at St Petersburg University and would often dress up as Napoleon (he is pictured above in 2012 wearing an 1812-era French uniform)

Sokolov was a professor at St Petersburg University and would often dress up as Napoleon (he is pictured above in 2012 wearing an 1812-era French uniform)

Sokolov was a professor at St Petersburg University and would often dress up as Napoleon (he is pictured above in 2012 wearing an 1812-era French uniform)

The victim’s mother Galina Yeschenko, 49, is a police lieutenant-colonel who travelled from Krasnodar to identify her daughter.

Her father Oleg Yeschenko said: ‘I was not personally acquainted with [Sokolov]. But Anastasia never said anything bad about him.

‘So what happened shocked us.’ 

Sokolov met his first wife – also called Anastasia – when he was a 34-year-old schoolteacher and she was his teenage student, according to reports. She later died of cancer.

The professor, who works at St Petersburg State University, is separated from his second wife Anna.

She is said to have known about his relationship with Yeschenko, who was another of his students.

Anastasia’s brother said that she had called him to say she had rowed with Sokolov after she said she wanted to attend a birthday party for a male friend, according to Komsomolskaya Pravda.

She had been ‘crying’ and he had ‘told her to leave him at once,’ he said. 

Rescuers examine the Moika River yesterday where were the remains were found

Rescuers examine the Moika River yesterday where were the remains were found

Rescuers examine the Moika River yesterday where were the remains were found

Sokolov (pictured) was hauled out of the river suffering from hypothermia and carrying a backpack containing a woman's arms

Sokolov (pictured) was hauled out of the river suffering from hypothermia and carrying a backpack containing a woman's arms

Sokolov (pictured) was hauled out of the river suffering from hypothermia and carrying a backpack containing a woman’s arms 

Sokolov is well known for re-enacting parts of the Napoleonic wars and there are reports that he planned to end his own life while dressed as the French emperor. 

Both he and his lover studied French history and liked to wear period costumes, with Sokolov dressing up as Napoleon.

Students described Sokolov as both a talented lecturer who could impersonate the French emperor and his generals and a ‘freak’ who called his lover ‘Josephine’ and liked to be addressed as ‘Sire’. 

There were claims that Sokolov had shown hostile behaviour in the past but that complaints had been ignored. 

‘What happened is simply monstrous,’ a Saint Petersburg State University lecturer said. 

The professor was president of the Russian Association of Military History and is now a member of the body’s scientific council.

He received France’s Legion d’Honneur in 2003, and had previously taught at the prestigious Paris-Sorbonne University. 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 DiazHub.