Connect with us

News

HK lawmakers in court, violence escalates

Published

on

Police have fired tear gas and water cannon to break up rallies as activists blocked roads and trashed shopping malls across Hong Kong’s New Territories and Kowloon peninsula on the 24th straight weekend of anti-government unrest.

Protesters shouted abuse at “black police” in Cantonese wherever officers appeared on Sunday, referring to perceived brutality against demonstrations in the Chinese-ruled city that show no sign of let-up after more than five months.

Pro-democracy protesters vandalised a train station in the central new town of Sha Tin and a restaurant seen as being pro-Beijing, overturning banqueting tables and smashing glass panels, two weeks before district council elections.

Violence spilled out on to the streets of Tuen Mun outside the “V city” mall, with running battles between riot police and protesters.

Now TV showed pictures of a circular, red welt and bruise on the upper arm of one of its reporters who said she had been hit by a tear gas canister in Tsuen Wan, to the west of the New Territories, where police fired tear gas late into the evening to clear the streets.

The rail station was closed in Sha Tin, amid scuffles between police and protesters young and old, on a day of planned shopping mall protests throughout the territory. Shopping districts across the harbour on the main island were quiet.

Protesters daubed graffiti and damaged shops at Festival Walk in Kowloon Tong and “stormed” stores in Tsuen Wan, police said.

The violence spread to the Kowloon district of Mong Kok, one of the world’s most densely populated areas. Police used water cannon and volley after volley of tear gas to try to clear the main artery of Nathan Road, which was littered with loose bricks under the bright, neon lights.

Police also fired tear gas late at night in the New Territories district of Tai Po, north of Sha Tin.

Protesters are angry about what they see as police brutality and meddling by Beijing in the former British colony’s freedoms, guaranteed by the “one country, two systems” formula in place since the territory returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

China denies interfering and has blamed Western countries for stirring up trouble.

Thousands of people gathered at a Saturday night vigil for “martyrs”, following the death of a student in hospital this week after falling from a car park during a protest. Many called for revenge.

The student, Chow Tsz-lok, 22, fell from the first floor building in the bay-side eastern suburb of Tseung Kwan O, where police fired tear gas into the night on Sunday as protesters threw bricks, built street barricades and hurled abuse.

Thousands gathered in Chater Garden, in Central on Hong Kong island, to mourn Chow. Pastor Yuen Tin Yau said Chow’s family had decided to donate his organs.

“Yes, we are hopeless, we are restless. But we won’t give up. Of course, we want to see this moment end in harmony and in justice,” said protester Tanya Yeu, 55. “Perhaps there is a long way to go, but we will hang in, we will hang in.”

Seven pro-democracy city lawmakers have been detained or face arrest and are due to appear in court on Monday on charges of obstructing a May meeting of the local assembly, according to police and several of the lawmakers.

“We believe that the government together with the police, as well as the pro-establishment camp, they are trying to escalate the anger of Hong Kong people in order to cancel or even to postpone the upcoming district council election,” Tanya Chan, a pro-democracy lawmaker, told reporters on Saturday.

One of the arrested lawmakers, Gary Fan, said the detentions were the result of “political prosecutions and judicial crackdowns” by Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam.

The elections are due on November 24.

News

Bride and groom’s family ‘to SUE’ hotel where wedding reception descended into a bloody brawl

Published

on

By

A bride and groom’s family are looking to sue a hotel for breaching their privacy after a wedding reception descended into a bloody brawl and staff allegedly posted footage of the scuffle online.

Shocking footage captured the vicious punch-up at Ramada Park Hall in Wolverhampton just after 9.30pm on Saturday, October 12.

Police swooped but did not arrest anyone, despite the fight leaving three people hospitalised.

It is understood the scrap broke out due to a guest hitting on other attendees.

Hotel workers had claimed the spat was resolved but the couple’s family have indicated they will sue the five-star franchise for ‘breaching privacy’. 

This is the shocking moment a violent brawl erupted during a wedding party at an upmarket hotel, leaving four people hospitalised with facial injuries. The vicious punch-up unfolded at Ramada Park Hall in Wolverhampton just after 9.30pm on Saturday October 12.

This is the shocking moment a violent brawl erupted during a wedding party at an upmarket hotel, leaving four people hospitalised with facial injuries. The vicious punch-up unfolded at Ramada Park Hall in Wolverhampton just after 9.30pm on Saturday October 12.

This is the shocking moment a violent brawl erupted during a wedding party at an upmarket hotel, leaving four people hospitalised with facial injuries. The vicious punch-up unfolded at Ramada Park Hall in Wolverhampton just after 9.30pm on Saturday October 12. 

Hotel workers had claimed the spat was resolved but the couple's family have indicated they will sue the five-star franchise for 'breaching privacy'

Hotel workers had claimed the spat was resolved but the couple's family have indicated they will sue the five-star franchise for 'breaching privacy'

Hotel workers had claimed the spat was resolved but the couple’s family have indicated they will sue the five-star franchise for ‘breaching privacy’

They also said they were hit with an £85,000 damage fine and have now protested outside Ramada Park Hall following claims staff had uploaded footage to social media.

They wore yellow hi-vis jackets and held placards reading Absolute Invasion of Privacy’ and ‘No Duty of Care’.

Under The Ramada Injured Party Action Group, they have called for an apology from the hotel, claiming there was a lack of safeguarding for the 500 guests, according to the Mirror.

The family also said they were hit with an £85,000 damage fine and have now protested outside Ramada Park Hall following claims staff had uploaded footage to social media

The family also said they were hit with an £85,000 damage fine and have now protested outside Ramada Park Hall following claims staff had uploaded footage to social media

The family also said they were hit with an £85,000 damage fine and have now protested outside Ramada Park Hall following claims staff had uploaded footage to social media

Police were also lambasted by the family, who claimed they momentarily closed the gates of the hotel on Park Drive – stopping ambulances from arriving.

The hotel have hit back at the allegations, saying it was ‘ridiculous’ to suggest there were 500 people at the wedding.  

A Ramada spokesman said: ‘These claims are all fabricated. We refute them entirely.’

Footage recorded by fellow guests shows the men punching and kicking each other as people try to pull them apart before being dragged into the brawl themselves.

One man was carried away with blood pouring down his face while a young female member of staff was treated by doctors at the scene.

The wedding band are seen in the background watching on in horror as the men pile on top of each other kicking, punching and mauling uncontrollably. 

As the fight continues, a man can be heard screaming and shouting at the group to calm down but the fight continues nonetheless.    

A woman who appears to be the bridge is seen trying to break up the violent brawl (pictured)

A woman who appears to be the bridge is seen trying to break up the violent brawl (pictured)

A woman who appears to be the bridge is seen trying to break up the violent brawl (pictured)

He says: ‘Everyone calm down now. Calm down. The police are outside, calm down. Everyone just keep stepping away. 

‘If you are not involved, please move away. Like I said if you are not involved please move away. ‘

Despite his plea, the mayhem carries on and a heavily bloodied man is led away.’

Aman Singh, who was at the wedding, said the violence left a number of people hurt as the families clashed. Mr Singh said: ‘It was chaos.

‘There were punches flying all over the place and we saw someone being taken into an ambulance – I hope he is okay – this is not how you want a wedding to end.’

Another guest – who asked not to be named – said one man was left with blood pouring down his face.

He said: ‘It was disgusting. This poor bloke was left with blood literally pouring down his face. This isn’t how a wedding should be conducted – they were animals.’  

The wedding band are seen in the background watching on in horror as the men pile on top of each other kicking, punching and mauling uncontrollably

The wedding band are seen in the background watching on in horror as the men pile on top of each other kicking, punching and mauling uncontrollably

The wedding band are seen in the background watching on in horror as the men pile on top of each other kicking, punching and mauling uncontrollably

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: ‘Police were called to a disorder at the Ramada Park Hall hotel on Park Drive in Wolverhampton just after 9.30pm on October 12.

‘Three men were seen with facial injuries, although no-one has reported being assaulted. 

‘One woman was taken to hospital to be checked over, but was not physically injured.’ 

West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) received nine calls about the incident and sent a major response.

A guest - who asked not to be named - said one man was left with blood pouring down his face

A guest - who asked not to be named - said one man was left with blood pouring down his face

A guest – who asked not to be named – said one man was left with blood pouring down his face

A WMAS spokesman said: ‘We received no fewer than nine calls to reports of a brawl at a wedding at the Park Hall Ramada Hotel in Wolverhampton at 9.30 on Saturday evening.

‘Ambulance staff rapidly assessed a large number of potential patients. In total, there were four casualties that needed further assistance. 

‘A teenage girl who had been working at the event was treated at the scene for a medical condition and injuries sustained in the disturbance. After assessment by ambulance staff, she was taken to New Cross Hospital.

‘Two men in their 20s were taken to the same hospital with injuries sustained in the incident. 

‘A man in his 40s, who had also been injured in the incident, was assessed but chose not to go to hospital against advice from the paramedic on scene.’  

A spokesman for the hotel said at the time: ‘Having hosted hundreds of weddings we have never seen scenes like this. 

‘We do not accept this behaviour and would like to praise the quick thinking of our team who immediately contacted the emergency services. 

‘We’re in close liaison with all staff members who were present on the night and are ensuring that they get all the support they need.’

‘The father of the bride contacted the hotel to offer a formal apology.’

Continue Reading

News

Sydney boy, 5, suffers serious burns while dining at teppanyaki restaurant with family

Published

on

By

A young boy is expected to undergo surgery on Monday after suffering serious burns while celebrating a birthday with his family in Sydney.

The five-year-old boy was dining at a teppanyaki restaurant in Narellan, in the city’s south west on Sunday, when flames unexpectedly jumped while the chef was spraying oil on the hot plate.

Watch the video above

The boy’s family frantically smothered the fire, with help from restaurant staff.

He suffered burns to his face, arms and hands and was taken to Westmead Children’s Hospital, where he remains.

More on 7NEWS.com.au

The boy’s father also suffered second degree burns and was taken to hospital.

Continue Reading

News

Porn version of Bake Off starring ‘Mary Cherry’ and ‘Paul Hardywood’ is in hot water with Channel 4

Published

on

By

An X-rated version of Channel 4’s The Great British Bake Off starring ‘Mary Cherry’ and ‘Paul Hardywood’ has led to outrage by the broadcaster.  

The sexual parody of the show named ‘The Great British Bonk Off’ features Mary groping a female baker as she whisks eggs, while Paul is beneath a competitor’s apron during the famous ‘showstopper’ finale. 

It stars Rebecca More as Mary Cherry and Ben Dover as Paul Hardywood. 

Bake Off broadcaster Channel 4 told The Times: ‘These films have not been made with our prior knowledge or approval.’  

The Great British Bonk Off stars Rebecca More as Mary Cherry and Ben Dover as Paul Hardywood

The Great British Bonk Off stars Rebecca More as Mary Cherry and Ben Dover as Paul Hardywood

The Great British Bonk Off stars Rebecca More as Mary Cherry and Ben Dover as Paul Hardywood

However a 2014 amendment to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998 means the law protects those who reuse copyrighted material. 

The act states: ‘For the purposes of parody, caricature or pastiche’ and so the creators do not need to ask permission of the copyright holder. 

ITV said it would be ‘considering appropriate action’ and investigate the websites while the BBC did not comment.

Channel 4 along with the BBC and ITV have distanced themselves from Zaucey, a £16.99-a-month subscription service for ‘British-made adult entertainment’ featuring ‘real but not graphic depictions of sexual relations between adults’. 

The sexual parody of the show named 'The Great British Bonk Off' features Mary groping a female baker as she whisks eggs

The sexual parody of the show named 'The Great British Bonk Off' features Mary groping a female baker as she whisks eggs

The sexual parody of the show named ‘The Great British Bonk Off’ features Mary groping a female baker as she whisks eggs

The streaming service owned by Portland TV was previously part of publisher Richard Desmond’s portfolio. 

Zaucey also features crude parodies of BBC hit series The Bodyguard, Channel 4’s Googlebox and hit ITV show I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here which are all given alternative sexual titles.   

Co-founder of Zaucey Anna Kieran said: ‘We often look at what’s happening in the media and draw inspiration. ‘ 

And added that the videos were ‘just a bit of fun’. 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 DiazHub.