Connect with us

News

Prince Charles makes a big donation to disaster fund helping Australian bushfire and cyclone victims rebuild their lives

Published

on

Prince Charles makes a big donation to disaster fund helping Australian bushfire and cyclone victims rebuild their lives
  • Prince Charles makes a big donation to disaster fund helping Australian bushfire and cyclone victims rebuild their lives

  • Cyclone Seroja and the Perth hills bushfire’s destroyed homes earlier this year
  • The Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief fun has started to pay those most affected 
  • Prince of Wales, Prince Charles made two donations to the disaster appeals
  • The cyclone fund raised $7.6 million and the bushfire appeal raised $16.4 million 

Prince Charles has made a generous donation to victims of Tropical Cyclone Seroja and the Perth Hills bushfires in Western Australia.

The Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief fund, which supports those who lost their homes during both natural disasters, received two donations from the Prince of Wales.

The fund raised $7.6 million for cyclone victim’s and the bushfire appeal raised $16.4 million. The size of Prince Charles’ donation was not disclosed.

Cyclone Seroja destroyed home's (pictured) in Western Australia's mid-west In April this year, with the first payments being given to those who lost their homes rolling out

Cyclone Seroja destroyed home’s (pictured) in Western Australia’s mid-west In April this year, with the first payments being given to those who lost their homes rolling out

The Prince of Wales (pictured) made two handsome donations to the relief funds, contributing to the pool available for disaster victims

The Prince of Wales (pictured) made two handsome donations to the relief funds, contributing to the pool available for disaster victims

Prince Charles’ donation will go towards assisting the people most affected by the natural disasters, with the first 34 payments issued on Tuesday.

During the cyclone, residents across WA’s mid-west were told to take shelter during what Premier Mark McGowan described as a cyclone ‘like nothing we have seen before in decades

The Perth Hills bushfires destroyed a reported 86 houses and burned almost 11,000 hectares in total.

Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas praised the prince’s donation, as well as the generosity of the Western Australian community.

The Perth hills bushfires (pictured) tore through homes in February this year, and the Lord Mayor's Distress Relief fund has raised over $16 million for victims of the fire

The Perth hills bushfires (pictured) tore through homes in February this year, and the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief fund has raised over $16 million for victims of the fire

‘We have already seen the people of Western Australia, businesses across Western Australia and the eastern states respond with warmth, generosity and donations to assist those affected by these twin disasters in WA this year,’ he said.

‘The Prince of Wales has provided a very generous donation to the LMDRF.

‘It is an honour and a privilege to accept this donation and I thank His Royal Highness and the office of The Prince of Wales for working with us to make this happen’.

People affected by the disasters are still able to apply for assistance via Appeals WA.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: