Prince Andrew visited a millionaire tycoon who is accused of raping 10 women, some as young as 14 years old.
Finnish-Canadian fashion executive Peter Nygard, 78, ran a ‘sex trafficking scheme’ in the Bahamas that destroyed innocent lives, a 99-page lawsuit claims.
He allegedly told young girls he could make them models before sexually assaulting them and forcing them into performing ‘deviant acts’ between 2008 and 2015.
The Duke of York is reported to have taken his family to stay with the businessman at his luxury Bahamas estate after Nygard agreed out-of-court settlements with three employees who accused him of sexual harassment, according to MailOnline.
The royal and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson stayed at Nygard Cay, near Nassau with their two daughters Beatrice and Eugenie in 2000.
Prince Andrew’s link to Nygard follows his association with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
There is no suggestion Prince Andrew knew of Nygard’s alleged criminality.
Ten alleged victims – eight who were teenagers and two who were adult employees on the Nassau estate at the time – have accused Nygard of rape in the lawsuit filed in New York.
Three of the women were 14-year-olds who said they felt ‘scared and humiliated’ by the attacks, which left one allegedly needing medical treatment.
Nygard – estimated to be worth £690 million – is said to have plied the teenage girls with wine and drugs during ‘pamper parties’ at his 10-bedroom mansion after recruiting them at shopping malls and fashion events.
He kept a ‘database’ of 7,500 potential victims, according to the lawsuit.
The businessman allegedly used his company’s private jet to take victims on visits to London, Germany, Italy and China, while two yachts were used to transport drugs and alcohol for his parties.
All allegations in the 99-page lawsuit are strongly denied by Nygard.
On Thursday, his spokesman named them ‘completely false’ and ‘without foundation’, saying the tycoon ‘looks forward to fully exposing this scam and once and for all clearing his name’.
Last year, Virginia Giuffre claimed she was trafficked when she was 17 and was forced into sexual encounters with the Duke of York in London, New York and on a private Caribbean island owned by Epstein.
The prince has ‘categorically’ denied all allegations.
Buckingham Palace told Metro.co.uk they had no comment on his links to Nygard.
Countries across Africa are preparing for an outbreak of the deadly coronavirus after the continent’s first case was reported in Egypt.
Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Mugahed said that the affected person was a ‘foreigner’ who did not show any serious symptoms.
Officials were able to confirm the case through a screening programme for travellers arriving from countries where the disease has spread.
The ministry statement said the person was hospitalised and in isolation. It did not specify the person’s nationality or their point of entry.
Coronavirus has spread to over 25 countries worldwide since emerging at a seafood market in the Chinese city of Wuhan in early December.
The death toll has surged past 1,500 and there have been over 60,000 cases globally – although experts say this figure could be much higher.
The latest development in Egypt makes it the first country in the African continent to report an infection and the second in the Middle East, after the United Arab Emirates diagnosed its first cases late last month.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has previously warned of deadly consequences if the virus hits poorer countries who do not have the capacity to deal with an epidemic.
The institution’s Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said ‘a global coordinated effort’ is needed to enhance preparedness in more unstable regions of the world.
He called on richer nations to donate funds to a £520m preparedness plan to help China and states with weaker health systems.
WHO has prioritised support for 13 African countries on the basis of their close transport links with China: Algeria, Angola, Côte d’Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
The strategy includes issuing technical guidance, advising health ministries on how to limit human-to-human transmission and ensuring they have the capacity to isolate and provide appropriate treatment to affected people.
WHO Africa programme manager for emergency operations Michel Yao said: ‘We all know how fragile health systems [are] in the African continent, they are already overwhelmed by many outbreaks.
‘For us, it is critical to detect coronavirus earlier [so] that we can prevent spreading within communities that can trigger a number of cases that can overwhelm the treatment capacity’.
The Director of Africa Centre for Disease Control, John Nkengasong, also outlined the threat to Africa posed by the coronavirus, now renamed Covid-19.
He said: ‘This disease is a serious threat to the social dynamics, economic growth, and security of Africa.
‘If we do not detect and contain disease outbreaks early, we cannot achieve our developmental goals.’
Africa’s preparedness efforts have been boosted with $19 million donation from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, with some of it going towards training.
The US is to evacuate 428 Americans who have been trapped on board a cruise in Japan after 218 passengers and crew were struck by the coronavirus.
Two State Department planes will be dispatched tomorrow to repatriate the Americans and their families and the evacuees will then be screened at Travis Air Force Base in Sacramento, in California.
CDC officials have said that some will be forced to undergo a mandatory quarantine, which will most likely last 14 days.
The cruise ship initially had 3,700 passengers and crew on board and was put under a two quarantine on February 5 – during which time the number of cases on board has rise to 218.
The U.S. embassy in Tokyo said in a letter to passengers that the aircraft would arrive in Japan on the evening of Feb. 16 and that it recommended ‘out of an abundance of caution’ that U.S. citizens disembark and return home for further monitoring.
The passengers would be required to undergo further quarantine of 14 days upon arriving in the United States.
‘We understand this is frustrating and an adjustment, but these measures are consistent with the careful policies we have instituted to limit the potential spread of the disease,’ the letter said.
‘Should you choose not to return on this charter flight, you will be unable to return to the United States for a period of time. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will make a final determination on this matter,’ it added.