Connect with us

News

Three gang members found guilty of murder of innocent man

Published

on

Three gang members have been found guilty of murdering an innocent man who was shot dead by mistake during a bloody turf war.

Joseph Williams-Torres, 20, was targeted by three hooded youths as he sat in a van with a friend in Walthamstow, east London, on the evening of March 14 last year.

The attackers mistakenly identified Mr Williams-Torres as a member of a rival gang, pulled out a gun and fired, before running off in less than two minutes, jurors heard.

The victim was hit in the chest and legs. He died on the way to hospital less than an hour later.

The three gang members were engaged in a 'turf war' with other gangs, jurors heard

The three gang members were engaged in a 'turf war' with other gangs, jurors heard

Hamza Ul Haq was squirted with acid in November 2017 and set out to avenge the attack, jurors were told

Hamza Ul Haq was squirted with acid in November 2017 and set out to avenge the attack, jurors were told

Hamza Ul Haq (right), Loic Nengese (left) and a 16-year-old were found guilty of murdering an innocent man after mistakenly identifying him for a rival gang member 

Prosecutor Allison Hunter QC told jurors the shooting was part of a series of related and ‘retaliatory’ acts of violence that had its roots in a dispute between rival groups of youths.

Hamza Ul Haq, 21, Loic Nengese, 19, and a 16-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, denied murder but were found guilty following a trial.

Ms Hunter said the defendants were friends who were associated with the same gang which had become increasingly confrontational and angry since the murder of one of their own, Elijah Dornelly, in May 2017.

They were engaged in a ‘turf war’ with other gangs, jurors heard.

In November 2017, Ul Haq had been squirted with acid and another boy was stabbed by a group of masked hooded males in Walthamstow, the court heard.

Ul Haq presumed it was gang rivals as they set out to avenge the attack on March 14, jurors were told.

Ms Hunter said: ‘Joseph Williams-Torres, however, was murdered by mistake.

‘It was undoubtedly a ruthless and planned attack on a rival group member, but he was not the intended target. They had, it would appear, mistakenly identified him for another.’

She said the intended target was the same height and build and even wore the same beanie hat as Mr Williams-Torres, who lived locally.

She added the attack lasted ‘just 100 seconds to be precise’.

Joseph Williams-Torres was shot dead while sat in a stationary car in Walthamstow, East London, on the evening of March 14 last year

Joseph Williams-Torres was shot dead while sat in a stationary car in Walthamstow, East London, on the evening of March 14 last year

Joseph Williams-Torres was shot dead while sat in a stationary car in Walthamstow, East London, on the evening of March 14 last year 

Jurors were told how the defendants were captured on CCTV cameras and the youth dropped his mobile phone at the scene.

Ul Haq, of Manor Park, and Nengese, of Walthamstow, denied being the attackers caught on CCTV.

The youth admitted being at the scene but declined to name who he was with, saying it was not his co-accused.

He claimed he thought it was going to be a robbery and did not know anything about a gun.

Following their convictions, Judge Anthony Leonard QC remanded the defendants into custody to be sentenced on January 10.

Ul Haq will also fall to be sentenced for attempted aggravated burglary.

The family of Mr Williams-Torries wept as the verdicts were delivered and hugged the prosecution team as they left court.

Mr Williams-Torres was said to be a popular young man with ‘a loving, close and hardworking family’.

The murder weapon used to kill Mr Williams-Torres, who was shot in the chest and legs. The three gang members will be sentenced on January 10

The murder weapon used to kill Mr Williams-Torres, who was shot in the chest and legs. The three gang members will be sentenced on January 10

The murder weapon used to kill Mr Williams-Torres, who was shot in the chest and legs. The three gang members will be sentenced on January 10

His father Tony said in a statement: ‘What we all know is Joseph had not wronged anyone, he was not the intended target of his killers and as the evidence suggests this was a case of mistaken identity.’

He said his son lost the chance to have children and be an uncle because of the ‘selfishness, cruelty and the stupidity’ of his killers.

His father said: ‘When they took Joseph’s life, they didn’t consider how their selfish actions would affect, hurt and destroy so many people. Not just their target Joseph but the family and friends of Joseph and now their own family and friends should justice be served. They only thought about their own agenda.

‘Joseph never deserved to die and we will never be able to forgive those responsible for doing it. There will never be a harsh enough sentence or punishment for what they have done. Our hearts are forever broken.’

Detective Sergeant Ian Valentine, of Scotland Yard, said: ‘Joseph’s murder was the result of ongoing retaliation and tit-for-tat incidents between rival gangs. Joseph wasn’t a gang member but sadly that night he was mistaken for someone else.

‘The evidence heard by the court is a very sad tale of a group of young men caught up in gang violence and drugs activity, armed with guns and knives attacking others in a frankly shocking display of behaviour.

‘Many lives in this case, and others, are being destroyed by gang violence. We need to turn the tide.’

News

Corinne Olympios and Boyfriend Jon Yunger Split After 1 Year of Dating

Published

on

By

Moving on. Corinne Olympios and her boyfriend, Jon Yunger, have called it quits after a year of dating, Us Weekly can exclusively confirm.

“Corinne and Jon ended their relationship recently,” Olympios’ representative told Us in a statement. “Much of the reason is her need to stay in Los Angeles due to major career developments happening in the new year. The two remain on good terms.”

The Bachelor in Paradise alum, 27, was spotted with a mystery man at Craig’s restaurant in West Hollywood on Saturday, December 7, in the wake of their split.

Olympios and Yunger began dating in mid-2018 after they were introduced to each other by mutual friends. In an interview with Us in March, the former Bachelor star referred to herself and Yunger as “soulmates” and revealed the pair had been looking at engagement rings.

Bachelor's Corrine Olympios and Boyfriend Jon Yunger Split After 1 Year of Dating
Corinne Olympios is seen going to Craig’s restaurant with a mystery man in West Hollywood on December 7, 2019. Photographer Group/MEGA

“It’d be really traumatic if we ever broke up,” she said at the time. “But not ‘cause we’re gonna get engaged. I don’t know if I was supposed to say that. Well, I mean, I hope so.”

Olympios added, “It’s time. I told him. I’m like, ‘Listen, bro. You got until the end of this year.’”

Yunger resides in New York while Olympios’ home base is in Los Angeles. She explained to Us at the time that her flexible schedule allowed her to visit Yunger because “he more has a 9-to-5 [job] and I don’t, so it’s easier for me to travel.”

Olympios told Entertainment Tonight in July 2018 that Yunger was aware of her reality TV fame before they started dating.

“Jon knew exactly who I was and didn’t tell me,” she recalled. “He just kept his cool and was feeling me out the same way I was feeling him out.”

The TV personality couldn’t stop praising her boyfriend at the time. “He’s just, like, so amazing. He’s kind and caring and he’s supportive,” she said. “He’s, like, confident on his own and funny on his own. He’s the package. We love each other. I love him.”

Olympios previously competed for Nick Viall‘s heart on season 21 of The Bachelor in 2017. Later that year, she joined the cast of season 4 of Bachelor in Paradise. Her brief appearance made headlines over allegations of sexual misconduct between her and castmate DeMario Jackson. The allegations sparked an investigation that found no evidence of sexual misconduct.

Source: US Magazine

Continue Reading

News

Emma Stone, Dave McCary Hang Out With Amy Schumer After Engagement: Pic

Published

on

By

Plenty to celebrate! Emma Stone and her new fiancé, Dave McCary, spent time with pal Amy Schumer after announcing their engagement.

The Trainwreck star, 38, posted an Instagram photo of herself surrounded by friends on Friday, December 6. “These people love Times Square year round,” she wrote, adding a tree emoji. Stone, 31, and McCary, 34, beamed in the shot alongside the Inside Amy Schumer alum’s husband, Chris Fischer.

Schumer and the Oscar winner belong to the same friend group, which also includes Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson and Lena Dunham. The Captain Marvel star, 30, opened up about the squad in a 2017 interview with Vanity Fair, noting that Woody Harrelson connected her with Stone and the Hunger Games actress, 29, after working with each of them. The Girls alum, 33, and the I Feel Pretty star later joined in a group text.

“That [group of friends] saved my life,” Larson gushed. “I was able to talk with them about everything that was going on in my life, and it was with people who had been through it before and are also hilarious. That support and acceptance was everything. I was home-schooled, so I didn’t have friends that had the same interests as me, and I found it to be absolutely incredible.”

Emma Stone and Fiance Dave McCary Hang Out With Amy Schumer After Announcing Engagement
Emma Stone, Dave McCary and Amy Schumer Shutterstock (3)

Stone and McCary, meanwhile, announced their engagement via Instagram on Wednesday, December 4. The former Saturday Night Live writer posted a pic of the actress showing off her stunning engagement ring.

The couple were first linked in June 2017. They have kept their romance mostly private but have not been afraid to show PDA on several occasions.

A source told Us Weekly exclusively in December 2018 that Stone and McCary were “attached at the hip” while attending a roller-skating party in L.A. “They stood right next to the stage in their skates for all of Haim’s set, dancing together and singing along,” an onlooker revealed at the time. “At one point, they slow-danced to a somewhat upbeat song. He initiated it and she excitedly followed. They held hands [with] his other hand around her waist and hers around his shoulders.”

The duo later shared a table with Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn at a Golden Globes afterparty in January. “Emma and Dave were super touchy-feely and affectionate, which seemed to make Taylor more comfortable doing the same with Joe,” an eyewitness told Us. “It seemed like a very fun and light-hearted date night.”

Source: US Magazine

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Oh, What Fun! A Full Guide of TV’s Must-Watch Christmas Movies of 2019

Published

on

By

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Hallmark Channel, Lifetime, Netflix and more are serving up Christmas movies that will leave anyone — Scrooges included! — in the holiday spirit for 2019.

Hallmark, which has become the go-to network for feel-good Christmas fare, will release 40 new original films and even began doing so in October to get ahead of the rush. Chad Michael Murray, Kellie Pickler, Dolly Parton and Lacey Chabert star in a few of the selections that look the most appealing this year.

Meanwhile, Lifetime will attempt to give their holiday competitor a run for its money with 28 fresh movies. Following 2018’s successful One Tree Hill reunion and original film, The Christmas Contract, the network turns in another nostalgia-friendly project. A Christmas Wish reunites Hilarie Burton, Tyler Hilton, Lee Norris, Antwon Tanner and Barbara Alyn Woods while also giving Hilton the chance to work with his real-life wife, Megan Park.

Of course, it would not be a Christmas movie roundup without some Netflix originals. Vanessa Hudgens returns to the streaming platform after her starring role in 2018’s The Princess Switch. Her 2019 outing, The Knight Before Christmas, is not a sequel to the previous year’s flick, but a follow-up is already in production for 2020. Rose McIver also delivers her third performance in the A Christmas Prince franchise as she takes on a royal pregnancy in A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby.

Everyone knows about the standby networks for charming films to watch while wrapping gifts, drinking eggnog and baking cookies, but Netflix, Hallmark and Lifetime are not the only ones getting in on the fun. ABC gives Lea Michele, Charles Michael Davis and Bryan Greenberg the chance to put their own spin on the holiday with Same Time, Next Christmas, while Freeform lets The Bold Type star Aisha Dee shine as the leading lady in Ghosting: The Spirit of Christmas. UPtv, for its part, brings offscreen couple Brant Daugherty and Kimberly Hidalgo, who tied the knot in June, together in A Christmas Movie Christmas.

Scroll to discover the TV Christmas movies all holiday lovers should watch this year!

Source: US Magazine

Continue Reading

Trending